Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra trophies at CYCC

Default Extra trophies at CYCC

The CYCC is organised in 2-year categories, under-18, under-16, etc. The younger players in an age group are less likely to win a trophy than the older players.

For 2010, we are pleased to announce that we will be offering trophies for these younger players... that is, in addition to the main trophies for the under-18 group, there will also be trophies for the under-17s in that group.

Similarly, there will be trophies for the under-15s, the under-13s, the under-11s, the under-9s, and the under-7s. Yup, that's gonna be a lot of trophies.

These new awards are funded by a grant from Windsor-area Optimist clubs.

http://www.cycc.ca

Blog Entries

Question Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by John Coleman
    The CYCC is organised in 2-year categories, under-18, under-16, etc. The younger players in an age group are less likely to win a trophy than the older players.

For 2010, we are pleased to announce that we will be offering trophies for these younger players... that is, in addition to the main trophies for the under-18 group, there will also be trophies for the under-17s in that group.

Similarly, there will be trophies for the under-15s, the under-13s, the under-11s, the under-9s, and the under-7s. Yup, that's gonna be a lot of trophies.

My personal opinion is that measures like this - while with good intentions - dilute the value of any trophies up for grabs at the national finals. Do we really want to hit this secondary target?...

I can see your point. We don't want to become like some junior soccer programs, where every player gets a medal. I bounced the idea off junior coordinator Michael Barron ("I think, it's a great idea!"), and former junior coodinator Patrick McDonald ("I like the idea but not sure about implementation").

At my big tournament (1650 players this year) I aim for about 25% of players getting a medal. At the playoffs, about 200 players, 50% win a trophy.

For CYCC, surely the BIG prize is being the champion and representing Canada at WYCC. Shiny stuff is less important.

I note, parenthetically, that CYCC Quebec 2008 was much derided because they gave (cheap?) medals, rather than trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coleman

I am not sure I understand, if a under-odd# player wins one of the top prizes, he/she will have the chance to win the odd age prize too?

Nope, one trophy per player.

If an under-17, to give an example, comes first in the under-18 open section, he or she chooses which trophy. The under 18-trophies will be about twice the size of the under-17 trophies, so I don't think there is much doubt which will be chosen.

A more difficult question is which tie-break system to use when breaking ties for trophies.

Blog Entries

Question Another angle

Let me add a different angle to this idea: the younger players get a shot at any one of 2 trophies, while the older ones either win their age group, or are out of luck. In other words the younger players get preferred treatment.

There is a reason why these age groups are divided the way they are to begin with; within a 2 years span players are presumed to be on equal terms from a physiological point of view; if you go over this 2 years span, body and mind development enters in the equation. Why do we want to mess around with this?!...

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    Let me add a different angle to this idea: the younger players get a shot at any one of 2 trophies, while the older ones either win their age group, or are out of luck. In other words the younger players get preferred treatment.

There is a reason why these age groups are divided the way they are to begin with; within a 2 years span players are presumed to be on equal terms from a physiological point of view; if you go over this 2 years span, body and mind development enters in the equation. Why do we want to mess around with this?!...
    Eugen,

This is North America...

I will let you fill in the blanks

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    Well, Valer, I doubt that any school systems will be rushing to change to 2-year age-groupings.

And it's worse than you think... the under-odds will have an opportunity to win one of SIX trophies. I can just see it now, a bunch of under-13 boys strutting about, lording it over the older boys in their age group. Quelle horreur!

John, you should know that no good deed goes unpunished.
    Keep up the good work.

What I find interesting is how many divergent views there are among people, all with good intentions, who nominally want the same thing.

In addition, there is a lack of information... I remember, when I was planning CYCC, a governor insisting that the event was usually held in conjunction with the July 1st holiday weekend. After exhaustive checking thru 10 years of crosstables, I discovered that that had NEVER been the case.

Life's an adventure. I'll be glad when it's over.

John

www.cycc.ca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast