Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extra trophies at CYCC

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE has been running these age groups for how long? The only serious modification done in the past 5 years was to add the under 8 age group. These age groups have been working "decently" (if "well" is such a strong word to use...) for years and years. I am not really sure why all of a sudden this need to challenge it?!...

More trophies have never had a positive effect on performance; however they do have a "populistic" effect. In general such effect is needed to atract more players, so it would be very good at the grassroots of junior chess. CYCC is the pinnacle, the national stage where the best rise to the top. In other words the rewards and the activity are pretty much from different categories and matching them will not have the desired effect!
    I don't see anywhere that John states he is challenging anything. He is running the same sections that have been run in the past and which directly map with the WYCC sections. The winner of a section gets a big trophy and subsidy to the WYCC. The only thing that John is doing, is adding a "class" prize of a trophy for the top performer in the "under-year" in the section, assuming they don't place in the top three in the section.

I don't see a real problem with doing this, particularly since Canada is large and it is not always possible for players to attend the CYCC in two consecutive years due to the tournament rotating from place to place. I do have some reservations about methods of tie-breaking, etc., bit it sounds like John is aware of those issues and has already consulted people like Patrick MacDonald.

If one of the effects of having these trophies is to attract more players to play in the CYCC, then I think that's good, since they CYCC tends to draw fewer players than it should.

Unfortunately, until the structure changes, the CYCC isn't a pinnacle since it is open to anyone who can afford the entry fee, and the entry fees are used to fund the prizes for the winners.

Steve

Blog Entries

Smile ORGB approach

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    Valer, are you arguing that positive reinforcement has no effect on future behaviour?
    Well, I can argue that it is not so much a case of positive reinforcement but more of a case for equity theory! Those competing only for one trophy could very likely have feelings of inequity, generating negative emotions. This of course would have a direct impact on motivation and so on. It depends how you look at it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123