Thread: 2009-10 CFC Governors - List

Default 2009-10 CFC Governors - List

2009-10 CFC Governors - Named

Each Province/Territory is granted a certain number of governor seats based on CFC membership numbers, and there are named Governors-at-large.

Here is the Governor structure and breakdown for 2009-10:

1. Provincial/Territorial Governors:

A - B.C. – 5 – Lyle Craver, Mark Dutton, Paul Leblanc, Alfred Pechisker, Jason Lohner
    B - Alta. – 5 – Micah Hughey, Vlad Rekhson, Ronald Hines, Simon Ong, Rick Pedersen
    C - Sask. – 1 – David Steer
    D - Man. – 2 – Ken Einarsson, Stephen Lipic
    E - Ont. – 18 – Michael Barron, Ilia Bluvshtein, Egis Zeromskis, Bob Armstrong, Gary Gladstone, Natalia Khoudgarian, Nava Starr, Bill Evans, Michael von Keitz, Chris Risi, Garvin Nines, John Erickson, Herb Langer, Patrick McDonald, Gordon Ritchie, Stijn de Kerpel, John Coleman, Ellen Nadeau
    F - Que. – 2 – Hugh Brodie, Richard Keep
    G - N.B. – 2 – Ken Craft, Ken Duff
    H - P.E.I. – 1 – Fred McKim
    I - N.S. – 2 – Albert Ede, Chris Felix
    J - Nfld. & Lab. – 1 – Alick Tsui
    K - no reps from the 3 territories ( 3 vacancies )

Total - 39 ( and three vacancies )

( Note: in 2009-10 this total was one more governor than there should have been, since Ontario had an extra one by mistake, or by CFC President ruling – John Coleman ].

2. Governors-at-Large :

A - Executive – 1 - President – Eric van Dusen ( there should normally be 2 positions shown here, but the immediate Past President has declined to sit on the Executive )
    B. Non-Executive Officers – 3 - Rating Auditor – Bill Doubleday, Masters' Representative – Eddie Urquhart and Women's Coordinator – Bela Kosoian ( the current Women’s Coordinator is subject to termination as a governor, since her CFC membership expired Aug. 1, 2009 – but no formal steps have yet been taken to expel her )
    C - Representative of Chess Organizations – 2 - Chess Foundation of Canada – Lynn Stringer, and, Canadian Correspondence Chess Association – Valer Eugen Demian
    D – Elite Players – 2 - Canadian Champion – IM Jean Hebert and Runner-Up – GM Mark Bluvshtein
    E – Former CFC Presidents ( some Life Governors ) – 13 ( more than the votes of all the other Governors-at-Large ) – Chris Mallon, Hal Bond, David Lavin, Les Bunning, Francisco Cabanas, Nathan Divinsky, Yves Farges, Terry Fleming Phil Haley, Halldor Palsson, Maurice Smith, Peter Stockhausen and Bruce D. Thomas..

Total – 21

( Note– the Executive Officers, other than the President, remain representatives of their province );

3. Total No. of Governors - 60 ( and 3 vacancies )

[ Note: the total there should have been 59, had Ontario not had an extra governor ]
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-14-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Hey, how come I'm the mistake???

No, on second thoughts, don't answer that. I don't wanna know.

Default Coleman

Hi John:

I don't think the Ontario Chess Association is saying you personally are a mistake !!!

I don't really know how you ended up being the named " extra Governor from Ontario ". I just know that's what I was informed by the OCA Acting Secretary, Michael von Keitz.

But the CFC/OCA seem to have agreed you are so valuable, neither of them has taken any steps to terminate your governorship !

Bob

Blog Entries

Well since the ruling has apparently gone back to the old way of doing things, Michael Barron is a Governor-at-large and so Ontario is at exactly the right number.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    But the CFC/OCA seem to have agreed you are so valuable, neither of them has taken any steps to terminate your governorship!
    Ah shoot, I was gonna add "Excommunicated CFC governor" to my resume.

Default Ontario's Extra Governor

Hi Chris:

According to the interpretation of the CFC Handbook by Gerry Litchfield and myself, only the President, when elected, changes from being a Provincial Representative Governor, to becoming a Governor-at-Large. All other Executive, when elected, remain as Provincial Representative Governors. The Past President, when there is one on the Executive, also remains a Governor at Large.

So Michael Barron, Youth Representative in the Executive, is still one of the Provincial Representative Governors. So Ontario has submitted 18 Governors, when only entitled to 17, according to the May 1, 2009 membership statistics kept by the CFC Secretary, Lyle Craver. So Ontario has had one " extra " Provincial Representative governor this year.

Bob

Blog Entries

It's not your place, nor Gerry's, to interpret the handbook in this case. I approached Eric in Guelph at the Closed last year and said that since Ontario had an extra Governor spot due to the elections we were going to put John Coleman in. He agreed, thus effectively being a ruling from the Chair that my reasoning was valid.

Default Ontario Has an Extra CFC Governor

Hi Chris:

The Handbook says that when the President is elected, he changes from a provincial representative governor, to a governor at large. He then has the right to appoint his replacement. If he wanted to do that by some agreement with you, no problem.

The issue is that when the 2009 CFC AGM opened, before the election, Ontario had submitted 18 governor names, as I understand it. Lyle's statistics as of May 1, which I have seen, show that Ontario was entitled to only 17 governors. So the problem existed BEFORE the CFC election - Ontario already had 1 too many governors.

Can you provide the list of governors Ontario submitted for the Incoming Governors' AGM in July 2009? If you count them, I think you will see 18 names there, including Eric's as one of the EOCA governors ( prior to his election ). That list does not yet include John Coleman's . If you don't have it, I'll provide it, based on my research.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-13-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Default Ontario's Extra CFC Governor

Hi Chris:

Here is my research on the Ontario CFC Governors' names submitted to the CFC for the Incoming Governors' AGM in July, 2009:

2009-10 Ontario CFC Governors – List Submitted to 2009 AGM – Incoming Governors

Ontario. – 18

GTCL – 8
    Michael Barron, Ilia Bluvshtein, Egis Zeromskis, Bob Armstrong, Gary Gladstone, Natalia Khoudgarian, Nava Starr, Bill Evans

SWOCL – 5
    Michael von Keitz, Chris Risi, Garvin Nines, John Erickson, Patrick McDonald

EOCA - 4
    Herb Langer, Gordon Ritchie, Stijn de Kerpel, Eric van Dusen

NOCL - 1
    Ellen Nadeau

So you can see Ontario submitted 18 names, when it was only entitled to 17 Ontario CFC Governors, according to the membership statistics of May 1, 2009, kept by Lyle Craver, CFC Secretary. It had one " extra " name on the list.

And this has nothing to do with the subsequent election of Eric van Dusen as CFC President.

I tried last Fall to get you and Eric to deal with this without success. So I left it - no one seemed particularly concerned.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-13-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Blog Entries

None of what you just said changes what I already said three posts ago Bob.