View Poll Results: Motion 2010-07 Amending CYCC Rules Should be Adopted.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 65.52%
  • No

9 31.03%
  • Abstain

1 3.45%

Thread: Ag. Item # 12A - Voting on Motion 2010-07 - CYCC Rules

Default Ag. Item # 12A - Voting on Motion 2010-07 - CYCC Rules

This thread/poll is solely for the purpose of voting on this Motion 2010-07.

Here is the motion:

Motion 2010-07: (Moved/Seconded Michael Barron / John Coleman) To amend the CYCC rules to include the following:

"Canadian Youth Chess Championship is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.
    Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified for: 1) World Youth Chess Championship; 2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship; 3) North America Youth Chess Championship.

To review the debate on this motion before you vote, go to the thread " Ag. Item # 12 - Discussion of Motion 2010-07 - Amending CYCC Rules " below.

Since we are voting " on-line " , you need not send an e-mail vote to the CFC Secretary.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-11-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Hi Bob,
    This doesn't seem to be the amended motion that Michael proposed in the thread below. Is this the wording we vote on?
    Ellen

Default Proposed Amendment to Motion 2010-07 - How to Deal With It Now?

Hi Ellen:

The mover, Michael, and seconder, John, treated the discussion and input as a " friendly " amendment, and amended their motion so that it now reads:

Motion 2010-07 ( as amended )

"Canadian Youth Chess Championship is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.
    Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:
    1) World Youth Chess Championship;
    2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;
    3) North American Youth Chess Championship."

However, this is not the motion that continued to be voted on from Monday, April 12, @ 9:39 AM EDT, when they agreed to the amendment. I failed to post that the voting should then be on the amended version.

There is a systemic glitch here though - the motion already had been partially voted on in its original form, when it got amended - voting began at 9:00 PM EDT on the night before the amendment, Sunday, April 11 @ 9:00 PM EDT.

Nevertheless, I think there should have then been, on Monday, an amended motion poll ( the amendment did not have to be voted on because the mover/seconder agreed to it, and so it became the new motion ). I did not click over on this. Also, if I had done it, it means the original vote would have had to be cancelled, in so far as it had gone, and those who had already voted, would have had to vote again. I see no problem with doing it that way, and I probably should have - I will have to ask the Subcommittee to look into this issue and advise.

I think the best that can be done now, is that the original motion be the one we continue voting on. I will make this my ruling as acting chair of the meeting.

But I will refer this question to the Executive for discussion with the mover/seconder - I would suggest that the Executive be at liberty to amend the motion as desired by the mover/seconder, and treat it as so passed, assuming the original motion voting passes it in its original form. I know this is a bit messy, but some glitches have to be expected when trying something new like this. The Subcommittee on Governors' Voting Modernization will look into this to make sure we know how to handle motion amendments in future, in the context of the voting format we are provided with in this Board.

Hope this is a satisfactory answer for all, even if not the cleanest.

It must be remembered, however, that the votes taken in this meeting are only “ straw votes “, since there is as of yet, no Handbook section that allows this kind of “ on-line “ voting by Governors.
    So the motion will still now go on to the next GL or AGM voting as already scheduled, to be voted on again.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-14-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Bob,

I voted in favour as the priciples behind the motion are sound. It is a straw vote and some wording changes can be done to an official motion to make it more clear that all CYCC participants may go to NAYCC and Pan Am but the first three contenders have dibs on the official rep accomodations.

Just a note that there are some parents who are very categoric that the first place winner should have a right to all three tournaments free accomodation as official rep. Spreading it around to more players is wise in the long run but can be problematic.

Hi Ellen:

I think you are right - I believe most people voting for the motion in its original form support the concept, and are probably quite happy with the new amended version of the motion as well.

We'll know how to deal with this situation next meeting !!

Bob

Default Agenda Item Summary - Vote Result

Votes Cast - 28

Yes - 18
    No - 9
    Abstain - 1

Motion passes.

However, the motion was sought to be amended by the mover/seconder during the vote to read:

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

This matter will therefore be referred to the executive to determine if the motion passed can be deemed to be the amended motion.

It must be remembered, however, that the votes taken in this meeting are only “ straw votes “, since there is as of yet, no Handbook section that allows this kind of “ on-line “ voting by Governors.
    So the motion will still now go on to the next GL or AGM voting as already scheduled, to be voted on again.

Is this summary generally satisfactory?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Votes Cast - 28

Yes - 18
    No - 9
    Abstain - 1

Motion passes.

However, the motion was sought to be amended by the mover/seconder during the vote to read:

This matter will therefore be referred to the executive to determine if the motion passed can be deemed to be the amended motion.

Is this summary generally satisfactory?

Bob
    Thank you, Bob!

As a mover of the Motion and CFC Executive member, I would think that this "friendly amendment" doesn't change Motion substantially, only clarify it to avoid possible misunderstanding.
    So, the voting in GL#4 will be final and official - we need this motion pass before the AGM to apply to 2010 CYCC.
    As Ellen mentioned, there are some parents (minority, but very vocal) who expect their kids to win CYCC and want to take all 3 prizes.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron