Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ag. Item # 6 – New CFC Website Update

Hi Paul,

No I have not been running the website project at all - I am in contact with the CFC Office. I don't know much, but I can tell you that Eric was working with some CFC members on a statement of work as it relates to the website.

Sorry I can't provide more details on this issue.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down No official answer yet...

... is very disappointing. A while ago I suggested on this forum that CFC approaches for bids a certain company from Vancouver. This was because I had and still have great things to say about it from personal experience. I was hoping this would generate some action and CFC would pursue this more aggresively (anywhere in Canada, not only Vancouver).

Having a decent web presence is of utmost importance in today's reality. Also $10,000 should be in excess for having any decent company design a modern CFC website. Why this aspect is dragging on it is not very clear to me.

When are we going to see some action happening?

Blog Entries

As a guess I would say whenever the next Exec gets elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    When are we going to see some action happening?
    When the president would have stamina for a whole year.

The website without chess - is not a chess website.

If the front page shows old (2007-2008) champions, to the outside people it means that the CFC is not functioning and probably is dead.

Hi Egis,

As I stated before, the whole procedure I had envisioned for the solicitation of the website re-design was too cumbersome and impractical.

Please send me said Vancouver company. I am also pursuing to other parties that may be interested in working on the website.

I am certainly disappointed with myself for letting down the CFC.
    Eric Van Dusen
    CFC Past-President 2010-2011

Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with doing it through a RFP process, but it shouldn't require extensive amounts of consultation to come up with the RFP.

I'd offer to do it myself except that my company might have some interest in actually bidding on it, which would probably be a conflict of interest. But you can look at the original proposal from late 2006/early 2007 for a good starting point for any new site.

Okay, so this issue seems to lie squarely in the incoming executive's court now. Eric, I, for one, certainly do not expect you to pursue it any further at this point. As Chris has stated, our website requirements can be hashed out over a cup of coffee between himself, Patrick, and perhaps a few others. I would encourage this dialogue to happen, so as to give the incoming governors a starting point in the new term.

I see the website as one of the five core functions of the CFC:

1. Oversee national championships
    2. Provide ratings
    3. Produce a bulletin
    4. Represent Canada to FIDE; and
    5. Maintain a good website.

That's it, nothing fancy but concrete objectives and fully achievable within a balanced budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc
    I see the website as one of the ... core functions of the CFC:
    6. Promote National teams

Yes, I would re-word item 4 to include that. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast