Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ag. Item # 11 – Discussion on Motion 2010-06 – Discounted Membership/TPF

Default Will Provinces Also Give 40 %??

Hi Chris:

You have hit on an assumption we are making, that maybe is not valid.

First year membership in Ontario will be 60% X $ 43 ( $ 36 + $ 7 ) = $ 25.80 ( rounded up to $ 26 ).

Assumption - just like CFC is giving a 40 % discount, so will OCA give the 40%discount on their annual membership.

Is this an unwarranted assumption by the Grassroots' Campaign?

Bob

Blog Entries

Given that I don't support this motion at all and in fact have yet to see any really strong support from Ontario Governors, yes that would be an unwarranted assumption.

Default What Will a First-time CFC'er Pay?

Hi Chris:

The motion will still proceed. The wording is such that it only refers to the CFC portion of the annual membership collected or the $ 36. The commentary is slightly off in its accounting though, for the reason you give, that the provinces have not agreed to also give the 40 % discount.

So a first time member in Ontario will pay:

Discounted CFC Portion - 60 % X $ 36 = $ 21.60.
    Full OCA Annual Fee.............................$ 7.00
    Total............................................. ..$ 28.60 ( rounded up to $ 29 ).

So the first time CFC'er will pay $ 29, instead of $ 43. Effectively, CFC will be subsidizing the provinces in getting members, by CFC making the total more palatable, by giving the discount on their portion.

This is not so attractive as our original proposal of the provinces giving the discount as well, and first timers paying $ 26 in Ontario, instead of $ 43, but we can live with it - it will still help get new CFC'ers into tournaments. And get CFC new members.

Bob

Default Marghetis - Governor Since When/How?

Hi Aris:

I'm sorry, but I don't have you as a Governor on my list - you also are not shown on the list of 18 Ontario Governors on the CFC website. When did you become a governor? Were you elected at the last EOCA AGM? Sorry to have to ask this, but I am confused at the moment. Thanks.

Bob

I too am totally against this motion. I would prefer to see a blanket/flat fee for all rather than all of the different fees we need to collect for each province. The Office is overloaded as is.

Blog Entries

This is of course based on May 2009 membership numbers.

We had 1492 paying members that year, and the average income from each of them was $28.70

So to break even on that or even come out slightly ahead, a flat $35 membership fee, with $5 to the provincial association, would work. Any provinces without associations, plus any foreign players buying memberships, the extra $5 could either go into general revenue or into a special fund (Pugi/Foundation/Olympiad/etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Stijn De Kerpel
    I too am totally against this motion. I would prefer to see a blanket/flat fee for all rather than all of the different fees we need to collect for each province. The Office is overloaded as is.
    I would prefer to see a blanket/flat fee for all as well.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default The One Flat Fee Idea

If someone were to bring a motion to try to implement a flat across the board fee, one big problem I see is that first they have to get all the provinces/territories to agree among themselves on one provincial fee - good luck on that one !

Bob

Default Why Are There Junior Discounts?

It is generally seen in chess circles, that juniors are given a financial benefit in comparison to adults - for example, the Scarborough CC has a lower annual fee for Juniors, than for adults.

I am not sure of the exact rational for this, but I think it is based on the assumption that families wiith kids have less disposable income than adults generally, and so even if the parent has to pay a modest fee to play, they should be charged less for their child to play, to give that family a financial break. Are there other rationales for this discrimination in favour of juniors?

And if there are legitimate reasons for the practice of junior discount, what reasoning do the flat-fee'ers give for taking away this financial break to families with kids?

Bob

Blog Entries

My reasoning is there is very little difference between what the Juniors pay now - $27 in many provinces - compared to $35, for a whole year of service. Plus the Juniors are still subsidized by low rating fees and no membership requirement for all-Junior events, so we're just eliminating one of the three subsidies.

Technically, you don't have to get all the provinces to agree, you just need a constitutional amendment at the AGM that removes the ability of the provinces to set their own fees (with the stipulation that they are guaranteed $5 per member). Which means you need to convince the Governors, although having the provinces on-board would be a big help.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast