Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ag. Item # 13 – Discussion Only of Motion 2010-08 – Role of the President ( Bylaw 3,

Default The Governors Do Not Operate the CFC

Let me make this simple. The Governors are not, repeat not, the analog of a board of (nearly 60) directors. The assembly elects the executive which conducts the operations of the CFC, referring to the Governors only on major strategic issues such as acquisitions and divestitures, major capital investments, etc.
    Bob, your energies would be better used trying to energize the CFC rather than attempting to create a demonstrably non-workable alternative to the governance structure already spelled out in the constitution.

Default Governors Are Effectively the CFC Board of Directors ( though not legally )

Hi Gordon:

I am having this debate with Les Bunning as well.

My position on the Structure of the CFC, and the role of the Governor, is set out in my article " The Important Role of the Governor in the CFC ", which was published previously in the CFC Webzine, and has been also published in the Scarborough CC newsletter, for a few years running. The article appeared in the April 1 Issue # 11-15, which you just received a while ago. You can refer to it to see why I take my position on the role of the Governors ( = Board ) vs the Executive. I do agree that the Executive carry on the day to day operations of the corporation ( they are administrative managers ). But major policy/administrative decisions are governance matters for the Assembly of Governors.

If anyone wants a copy of the article, please e-mail me : bobarm@sympatico.ca .

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-11-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Default Agenda Item Summary

The debate turned on the question of whether the Assembly of Governors was more like the shareholders of a corporation, or the Board of Directors. This goes to the question of who has final say over major decisions. The section on President sets out a view of the dividing line between the power of the governors, and the power of the Executive. Some want the governors to make all major policy and administrative decisions. Others say the assembly elects the executive which conducts the operations of the CFC, referring to the Governors only on major strategic issues such as acquisitions and divestitures, major capital investments, etc..

Is this summary generally satisfactory?

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12