Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OCA/Trillium Grant Fiasco - Pt. 1/2

In my memory, the CFC did exactly that with a Quebec provincial association.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    In my memory, the CFC did exactly that with a Quebec provincial association.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I mentioned two or three things in my post to you. To which one are you referring?

I'm sorry, Peter. I believe the CFC recognized a Quebec provincial affiliate or interim organization (my memory is foggy) and then withdrew this recognition.

Pierre Denommee has all the info on this.

Bob

Default Error in Part 1 of Report

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    4. The Grant Problem:

When BT hired himself as the worker to complete the implementation of the grant, transparency disappeared. He told no one he had done this, except it seems, the Treasure, Jim Ferrier, who was the second signer of the salary cheques. The V-P, Hal Bond, and the rest of the executive, were unaware this had happened. And the rest of the executive, other than BT and Ferrier, did not learn of this until after the grant was concluded in July, 2007 – many question how this could have happened. ...

(emphasis added by me - P. McK.)
    Bob, I just noticed that the text in bold contains an error. Hal Bond discussed the Trillium/Thorvardson situation with me at the Joe Pochmursky Memorial Tournament in St. Catharines in April of 2007. So Hal was aware that there was an unsatisfactory situation at least three months earlier than you've indicated.

Default " Armstrong Trillium Report " - Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Bob, I just noticed that the text in bold contains an error. Hal Bond discussed the Trillium/Thorvardson situation with me at the Joe Pochmursky Memorial Tournament in St. Catharines in April of 2007. So Hal was aware that there was an unsatisfactory situation at least three months earlier than you've indicated.
    Hi Peter:

Thx. I have the original report. In it, at the point you noted, I've now attached a note advising of the correction.

I'm somewhat sorry that Rob fears to open the flood gates if he posts a voluntary report by an ordinary OCA member on the OCA website. I fear that future inquirers will be left in the dark as to how this fiasco ever occurred. But that's the decision, and I'll live with it, as I guess you will have to also.

Bob A

The Ontario Governors could not vote on the deaffilation of the OCA but their Governors at large could. At the time of the Quebec Interim provincial Authority deaffiliation vote, the Women Coordinator did vote because she was not a Quebec territorial Governor. She has never been a elected as a Quebec Governor. The Quebec's Governors did abstain as required by the Constitution.

15. Affiliates recognized as at January 1, 1978 shall retain such status unless and until such recognition is withdrawn or surrendered.

Affiliate status shall be granted either at an Annual Meeting of the Assembly of Governors by a simple majority of the decisive votes cast or in a mail vote of the Governors by a simple majority of decisive votes cast where at least half of the Governors cast votes.

Affiliate status shall be withdrawn either at the Annual Meeting of the Assembly of Governors by a 2/3 majority of the decisive votes or in a mail eligible vote by a 2/3 majority of the decisive votes cast where at least half of the Governors cast votes. Governors elected by a Provincial Association or Interim Provincial Authority, the withdrawal of whose affiliation is the subject of a vote, are not eligible to participate in that vote.

Upon recognition as a Provincial Association or an Interim Provincial Authority shall obtain the right to elect Governors to the next succeeding Assembly of Governors.

Quebec has lost its affiliated status when the FQE failed to fulfill its financial comminntement toward the CFC. This had occurred long before I became a Governor.

Quebec lost its Iterim provincial Authority by a vote at the Montreal AGM. This IPA did a lot of work for the CFC, translating the Laws of Chess, the CFC Tournament Rules, the CFC Code of Ethics and some sections of the FIDE Handbook. I have conducted many tournaments in the past and I can certify that running a CFC rated tournament in Montreal would lead to a predictable deficit even if all the actual CFC players in the province of Quebec register. On my last tournament, it was taking 62 paid entries to cover the venue rental cost. The players above and beyond that were the one contributing to the price fund, the scoresheets, paper chessboards, the TD fee... Since then, venues have become even more expensive. It is my perception that the IPA has been revoked in the hope that the FQE will affiliate, which they never did. During my tenure as a Treasurer, I try to go after Grants that require a IPA in Quebec in order to be considered. Not having at least an IPA in Quebec is detrimental to the image of the CFC. It is better to have something then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Pierre Denommee has all the info on this.

Bob

Blog Entries

Nice attempt at a positive spin on the FQSE there Pierre.

Anyway, I have yet to see anyone suggest what more the OCA can/should do at this point other than "Investigate More" - while there may not be proof enough for a conviction, I think everyone now has a pretty good idea in their minds as to what happened.

The individual responsible for this mess was banned for life from ever holding any position elected or appointed via the OCA, which by extension includes most CFC positions as well (ie CFC Governor).

Trying to de-affiliate the OCA is an interesting exercise on paper. I doubt it would ever happen, but even if you wanted to try, have fun trying for a quorum with no Ontario governors allowed to vote. Also have fun trying to convince FIDE that the CFC still represents chessplayers in Canada when the two largest provinces with over half the population are not recognized officially.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I did not say that I am i favour of the OCA exclusion, I just pointed out how it can be done under the current Constitution.

I fail to see any advantage for the CFC in the OCA disaffiliation. Furthermore, the guilty person has already been punished with a lifetime ban from the OCA. Double punishment for the same offence would serve no useful purpose.

The guilty person could still run for a CFC Office. Because of the large number of CFC Governors coming from the OCA, he would have little chance to be elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Nice attempt at a positive spin on the FQSE there Pierre.

Anyway, I have yet to see anyone suggest what more the OCA can/should do at this point other than "Investigate More" - while there may not be proof enough for a conviction, I think everyone now has a pretty good idea in their minds as to what happened.

The individual responsible for this mess was banned for life from ever holding any position elected or appointed via the OCA, which by extension includes most CFC positions as well (ie CFC Governor).

Trying to de-affiliate the OCA is an interesting exercise on paper. I doubt it would ever happen, but even if you wanted to try, have fun trying for a quorum with no Ontario governors allowed to vote. Also have fun trying to convince FIDE that the CFC still represents chessplayers in Canada when the two largest provinces with over half the population are not recognized officially.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345