Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Formally Adding Junior Coordinator to Executive

Bob: I was wrong. It is a valid change. It is "Youth" after all. I forgot Bylaw 2 section 8f(6th paragraph) and Bylaw 2, see OFFICERS further down in the By-law. Since JUNIOR CO-ORDINATOR is an Officer the vote by "ordinary resolution" (also see section 10,Bylaw 2, (but there "ordinary resolution applies only to "The Board of Directors" )should apply ok. In any case, the CFC Secretary should know for sure. Or you could check with Maurice who has been a chair at AGMs on more than one occasion.

Wilf Ferner
    Last edited by Wolfgang(Wilf) FERNER; 03-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

If I'm not mistaken, constitutional votes at an AGM only require a simple majority, at least in some cases. In any case it was declared passed by the chair and that ruling was not challenged.

Default " Constitutional/Bylaw " Amendments

Hi Chris:

As far as I can tell, a " constitutional " amendment always requires a 2/3 majority. Here is Bylaw 3, section 3 :

3. Any amendment or revision of these By-Laws; any matter pertaining to any international agreement between the Federation and any international or foreign Chess Federation or Association; and any matter pertaining to the payment of dues to the Fédération International des Echecs may be made,

(a) at any Annual Meeting of the Assembly, providing that a notice of intention to submit such matter to a vote has been received by the Secretary at least 30 days prior to the date of such Annual Meeting and has been transmitted by the Secretary to each Governor at least 14 days prior to the date of such Annual Meeting and that any resolution pertaining to such matter shall be approved by at least a two-thirds majority of the votes of those present and entitled to vote, including proxy votes.

(b) at any time through a mail vote of Assembly, providing that the exact wording of such proposed amendments or revision, or of the resolution to be passed by the Board through mail vote is submitted to each Governor at least fourteen days before the expiry of the time limit specified by the President for the receipt of the votes by the Secretary, and that at least one-half of the number of votes eligible to be cast has been received by the Secretary, and there is a majority of at least two-thirds of the votes cast in favour of the proposed amendment or revision or resolution.

Abstentions shall not be included in determining whether a two-thirds majority has been attained in (a) or (b) above provided only that the number of votes cast in favour must exceed the sum of the number of votes cast against and of the number of abstentions cast.

Bob

Blog Entries

You can quote all the CFC rules you want, but in this case I believe Canadian Law lays down what can be done by majority vote at an AGM for a registered Charity or Non-Profit.

In any case, the actual vote was 35/48 (72.9%), not 30/48 so there's no issue.

Chris: You are correct. I misquoted the result of the vote. It is shown as 35/48
    in the minutes.

Wilf Ferner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123