Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Formally Adding Junior Coordinator to Executive

Hi Chris and Bob: Well, I located the motion from Jr to Youth Coordinator
    please see GL year 0405 GL #1 on page 15/22 of the text of the AGM as item
    17 & 17.1 moved Thorvardson/Mallon re "Title of Junior Coordinator" to change
    the title of "Junior Coordinator" to "Youth Coordinator" PASSED by AGM 35 out
    of 48 item 17.1 Chair: This is a constitutional amendment & as such requires
    a Notice to the AGM of at least 30 days
    There were no more comments or notes in the minutes.
    One more thing I noticed: at the 2009 AGM a Youth Coordinator was elected
    under item 5.5 of the incoming part of the AGM.

Wilf Ferner

Hi Wilf:

Thanks for the excellent research. Patrick and I will bring a motion to reconsider the 2004-5 AGM Motion, Item 17 & 17.1. Our goal will be to defeat it on the reconsideration, and change the title back to " Junior " Coordinator, for the reasons I've given in the above posts.

Bob

Blog Entries

Well, I personally see that as taking a step backwards, but whatever...

The University program should be the upper end of the whole Youth program, and SHOULD be under the purview of the Youth Coordinator.

Default Changing " Youth " Coordinator Back to " Junior " Coordinator??

Hi Chris:

I guess there are arguments on both sides.

I'm not sure whether there was any organized opposition to the motion at the time. I think there are good arguments against the current position. I'd like to at least have it reconsidered and re-voted on to make sure that the governors still accept the arguments for " Youth " Coordinator.

Bob

Default "Youth" vs "Junior"

I beleive that I can lend some insite into this semantic discussion.
    I personally prefer "Youth" for the title of the position. And my interest in calling the position Youth Coordinator rather than Junior Coordinator was the impetus to change it.
    My preference was because of the misconception that "Junior Coordinator" can bring. "if you are the Junior Coordinator, where is the real coordinator or senior coordinator, I would rather deal the the head guy"

As for aligning with the designations, we are still using Junior as the designation for the memberships and the tournaments that are to be under the perview of the ??? Coordinator are both the Youth Championships (U8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18) and the Junior Championship (U20).

I don't see this as a problem for the Youth coordinator to work with both any more than the Junior coordinator.

I would rather leave it with the Youth name than the Junior name.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Default Seeking Futher Opinions: " Youth " vs " Junior " Coordinator

I am willing to reconsider my opinion, and my intended course of action, and defer to those who have actually been dealing with the youth/junior tournaments.

But before I do, I would like to hear Michael Barron's opinion on " Youth " vs " Junior " Coordinator. I notice that on this board Michael is called " Youth " Coordinator, but on the CFC Website, he is in error referred to as the " Junior " Coordinator ( this obviously requires correction ).

I'd also like to hear from some other governors on this.

Also, given Patrick is my seconder on the Bylaw 3 , Duties of Officers, amendment adding a " Junior " Coordinator, and given the current title in use is " Youth " Coordinator, we'll have to discuss an amendment to this position as described in our motion, to refer to " Youth " Coordinator now. This is regardless of whether I am going to bring a motion in future, to return to " Junior " Coordinator.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 03-15-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Blog Entries

I doubt you'll need an official amendment, since your motion was based on an erroneous description in the online handbook.

Hi Chris:

Despite the lack of update on the online Handbook, now that Patrick and I know that the current title ( according to the 2004-5 AGM motion ) is " Youth " Coordinator, we feel we should use that title in our motion # 2.

So we have amended our motion to change the title, and today I have re-filed it with Lyle.

Bob

Hi Bob: In my opinion, the title is still "Junior Co-ordinator" because of what
    happened at that AGM in Kapuskaping. The Chair noted that the motion had
    not been done with the 30 days notice for a By-law amendment(Bylaw 3,item 3a).
    The chair should have verbalized that fact(with the AGM minutes stating such) and given the meeting to understand
    that the vote 30/48 was just an opinion or straw vote and the mover/seconder
    should have resubmitted the motion properly with the secretary to be dealt with
    in that upcoming year. Secondly, the vote must have 2/3 of the cast votes
    in favor in case of a By-law amendment. The 30/48 vote count is 2 votes short of the requirement.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Wilf Ferner
    Last edited by Wolfgang(Wilf) FERNER; 03-15-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Default " Youth Coordinator " - A Checkered History??

Hi Wilf:

1. You are likely right that the motion should have been ruled " out of order " for lack of the proper 30 days notice; I am not sure if the chair can make a ruling that the defect can be ignored. But in any event, the minutes don't indicate the chair made any such ruling.

2. 2/3 of 48 is 32, for a constitutional amendment. So with only 30 votes the motion should have been declared defeated. The minutes don't show this happening either.

3. It seems that the chair and the governors all treated the motion as passed. This may be one reason for not reopening the issue.

4. It seems that there is some significant opinion that in any event, " Youth Coordinator " is preferable to " Junior Coordinator " ( a past president and past Junior Coordinator ). If this is supported by most governors as well, then I guess I would just let sleeping dogs lie, and make my motion to add the position of " Youth " Coordinator. As well, if and when the Handbook Updating Committee gets established, I'd have the executive instruct the Subcommittee member to make all reference in the Handbook consistently " Youth ".

5. Are there any governors who feel " Junior Coordinator " is superior to " Youth Coordinator "?

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast