Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formally Adding Junior Coordinator to Executive

Default Formally Adding Junior Coordinator to Executive

I had hoped that the original David Lavin motion on Roles of CFC Executive ( Motion 2010-01 ) was going to be passed with amendments. But in GL # 3, Eric has now ruled it out of order due to Lyle Craver now withdrawing as seconder. Therefore, one of the current executive positions I had hoped would be dealt with, Junior Coordinator, died.

So myself and Governor Patrick McDonald, are about to file a motion to add the Junior Coordinator position to the Executive. This has in fact been an executive position for some time now, but no one ever amended Bylaw 3 on Officer Roles, to put it in formally.

This position was originally discussed on this board a while ago, in the context of amending Motion 2010-01. But we thought it best to present it again, since Eric has confirmed that he likes the idea of motions being presented for public input before being filed.

The motion is:

Motion # 2 - Amending Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers - Junior Coordinator

March 10, 2010

Moved: Robert Armstrong Seconded: Patrick McDonald

That there be added to Bylaw 3 , Duties of Officers, a new Section 8B dealing with “ Junior Coordinator “, as follows:

8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for the Canadian Junior Championship and the Canadian Youth Chess Championships, and for assisting the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding organizers for the Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships.”

Commentary:

This has now been an Executive position for some time and should be listed in the Bylaw 3 dealing with Duties of Officers.
    The giving of a Section 8B designation is technical in nature to make it integrate into the current Bylaw 3.
    The new section makes it clear that the Coordinator is involved, among other things, in YCC’s in all provinces, for all categories. We in Ontario have also had for some time now, a good experience with Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships, which feed players into the provincial YCC. The section makes clear that the Provincial Junior Coordinator is primarily responsible for the YCC’s/Regional Qualifier YCC’s, but that the Junior Coordinator assists in this aspect as well.

We would be pleased to receive any comments you may have before we file the motion.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 03-10-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Blog Entries

It was incidentally renamed Youth Coordinator ages ago. Handbook must not have been updated for that. I'm pretty sure it was at one of the AGMs but I could be wrong.

Also incidentally, if we are indeed to be following Robert's Rules of Order, once moved and seconded, a motion cannot be "withdrawn" by the mover or seconder as it is the property of the "meeting" at that point. Seconding a motion does not imply support for it either, it merely implies that it is worthy of debate and often a vehement opponent will second a motion, just to "kill it once and for all"...

Default Why " Junior " Coordinator?

Hi Chris:

We took the position name from the Lavin motion.

But I think " Junior " is better than " Youth ". We are in the process now of voting to make our CFC junior membership available to all U 20 years, matching the FIDE designation of " junior ". And " Youth " in chess has a specific meaning of U 18 years ( eg. Canadian Youth Chess Championships ). We want this position to deal with all U 20 year olds ( eg. the Canadian Junior Championship ), and so " youth " would be inaccurate.

Also, the CFC website refers to Michael Barron as the " Junior Coordinator ".

As to whether Eric's ruling is correct, I understand that the assembly can challenge an " order " ruling by the chair, and vote to overrule it. I told Eric I thought he was wrong, but couldn't face an administrative battle over it, and I'd just bring new motions, this being one of them. If you want to move to challenge the ruling, go ahead. Maybe you'd get governor support.

Bob

Blog Entries

I don't really care about the old motion and the CFC doesn't actually have to follow Robert's Rules. Just pointing it out because Eric DOES want to.

It was changed to Youth to give them purview over everything up to and including University chess (into the low 20's age-wise) to which the term Junior most definitely does not apply.

Bob, you are correct. Eric's ruling was clearly wrong. Not the first President to make incorrect rulings.

Default Canadian Post-Secondary CC - Gnerally Not Juniors and Not Always Youth

Hi Chris:

Since most of the players in the Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championships are not " juniors " ( U 20 ), and can be older adult students and professors, I do not think we should mix them with our junior program.

Mark Bluvshtein and I are introducing the new Executive Officer position of " Tournament Coordinator ". I would think overseeing of that tournament would best be done by this new person, who is dealing with other national championships as well. This way there will be some direct involvement of the executive in this important Canadian tournament.

Bob

Blog Entries

Bob, I'm not debating whether or not it SHOULD be done, I'm telling you it WAS done.

Hi Chris:

Well I don't know what section of the Handbook it is in, but I guess our motion will change it back !

If anyone knows the secstion where the word " Youth " is now used instead of " Junior " re the Coordinator position, please advise me. We will bring whatever supplementary motion is required to make the Handbook consistently refer to " Junior Coordinator " from now on.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 03-12-2010 at 02:02 AM.

You are presuming the motion will pass.

Hi Ken:

Always optimistic when it comes to CFC !!

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast