Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Canadian Junior?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    1. When should it be held? In 2011, i would guess, but by what date?
    http://www.fide.com/index.php?option...lendar&ny=2011
    Gives only India for WCJ 2011. (However, World Youth Championships 2011 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 12-Nov-2011 22-Nov-2011)

3. Some history on the tournament would be useful?
    Better not to know

Default World Junior - History

Communicating useful knowledge about the Canadian Junior early might prompt some interest in organizers who may never have considered it. Get this information on the website, along with an invitation to bid for 2011, and you maybe surprised.
    From the Susan Polgar Blog ( which comes from chessdom.com ):

" History of the World Junior Championships
    Report by Chessdom.com

The idea was the brainchild of William Ritson-Morry and he organized the 1951 inaugural event to take place in England. Borislav Ivkov was the first champion. Since then it has been held every two years until 1973, when an annual schedule was adopted. The first tournament was 11-round Swiss, but in subsequent years preliminary tournament have been played with players divided into sections of approximately equal strength. From these preliminaries sections, players qualified for the top, middle and lowest sections i.e. A, B, C and D finals.

In the period 1951-1973 finals were held as Round-Robin tournaments. Since then preliminaries were cancelled and an 13-round Swiss event was adopted.

In 1982, a separate tournament for girls U-20 was organized. The first winner was Agnieszka Brustman of Poland. The first event was also called the World Cup. Since then the World Girls U-20 Championships have been held every year except the 1984 year.

There are many top junior players of all continents are taking part in Championships. Champions under 20: Boris Spassky, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov and Viswanathan Anand became World Champions. The World Girls U-20 Champion Zhu Chen became the World Women Champion.

In the 2008 year in Turkey 109 juniors and 67 girls from 50 countries took part. In the 2009 year in Argentina 80 juniors and 45 girls from 61 countries took part. A lot of Polish players took part in most of the Junior and Girls U-20 Championships organized since the 1951 and the 1982 years. They achieved a lot of medals gold, silver and bronze. In the 1997 year the Championship was held in Zagan, Poland with participation of 78 juniors and 61 girls. We expect much more in the 2010 Championship be held from August 2-17 in Chotowa, municipality Czarna, Podkarpacie Region of Poland. "

Michael might want to save this to his junior file for future use.

Bob

Actually when the Canadian Junior was a Round Robin it was a decent tournament. Moving to swisses from round robins has robbed many of our tournaments of their prestige value.

Michael, you should communicate some parameters for the 2011 Canadian Junior. Some useful information to answer:

1. When should it be held? In 2011, i would guess, but by what date?
    2. When should the bids be submitted to CFC? Before 2010 AGM?
    4. The winner get what? Canada's rep at World Junior tournament?
    5. What size budget should organizers expect?
    6. What support/cooperation can be expected from CFC? If any?

Communicating useful knowledge about the Canadian Junior early might prompt some interest in organizers who may never have considered it. Get this information on the website, along with an invitation to bid for 2011, and you maybe surprised.

Yes, I think that is the a big chunk of the problem. The CAN junior isn't that hard to run but it's not too well known amongst new organizers or even the new generation of players as it's dwindled. I've never played in a Canadian junior myself, despite playing in countless other Canadian events.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Yes, Eric, I would say it's merely a coincidence.
    Believe me, the organization of the Canadian Junior started before your complain.

But the exchange of information wouldn't hurt.
    When you found out that Calgary will NOT organize 2010 Canadian Junior?
    If it was known earlier, probably we would find a new organizers earlier.

Now I would like to follow your advice and announce to all potential organizers:
    Please consider bidding on 2011 Canadian Junior.
    It's a good time to start it NOW.

Any takers?

Michael, stop focusing on the past! You've shown your obvious error. Sounds to me by your ridiculous responses that ever since Calgary expressed interest you just sat back and waited. Did they ever commit to you? If I'm selling a house, and someone expresses some interest in buying it, am I going to stop trying to sell it or finding the best buyer possible? You're trying to sell the idea of running the Canadian Junior (unless the CFC runs it) . But obviously you are content with just sitting around, wasting time, and lamenting on the past. When I was told it wouldn't be run is absolutely irrelevant. I'm not on the organizational squad as we all know, so why would you want my information rather than the information straight from the Calgary Junior Chess Club? Are you going to call the interested buyers or call a friend or a relative of theirs and ask them why they haven't bid yet? The bidders have the most accurate and important information, of course! If you are so fixated on the Calgary bid, how many times in the past three months did you contact the actual people behind it? And if they weren't responding, then thats a response in itself as anyone can tell.
    Last edited by Eric Hansen; 02-11-2010 at 03:05 PM.

As well Michael, care to elaborate about all the planning done beforehand you did? The Canadian Junior organizers posted this, after my thread about the Canadian Junior:

Hart House Chess Club is currently looking at the possibility of organizing it.
    Either end of April or early May.
    We'll return to this topic in a few days.

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club

It looks like they were at the first stage of planning, just thinking if they should run it or not. Now this was posted on my thread, so it seems likely that the organizers were prompted to do this partly because of my thread but no connection to Michael Barron's perseverance in achieving a Canadian Junior. Of course, Alex can step in and correct me or give the full reasoning, and that would clear it up.

Eric, a question for you: Will you play at CJunior 2010?
    your possible opponents http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/cj-pre-registered.html

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    Eric, a question for you: Will you play at CJunior 2010?
    your possible opponents http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/cj-pre-registered.html

I will try but I'd say my chances of playing are 50-50. Can't miss much school since I'm in grade 12, so it will depend on the situation around then.

Default Canadian Junior 2010

Hello all,

Although not particularly interested in politics or heated debates, it seems to me that there's room for healthy conversation in these important matters. I'd like to clarify that, Michael Barron approached the Hart House Chess Club as a possible host in mid-January, about a week or so before the topic surfaced on ChessTalk. When I responded to Aris' post, I had just gotten clearance from Hart House but needed to work out some minor details and officially submit the bid to CFC.

We're a University chess club and don't normally search for junior events, although we have the means to organize them. At Hart House, which is the cultural student centre of University of Toronto, justification on paper is required to organize major events, and it took us three weeks to be able to make it official. The Canadian Junior just so happens to be the one event that can combine juniors with 1st and 2nd year University students into one tournament. Three of our members showed immediate interest and are signed up.

The Canadian Junior is taking place in Toronto for the second time in 3 years. Several cities and chess clubs with respective organizers have proven capable of organizing much bigger and challenging events. Taking that into account, it would probably be healthier for the Canadian Junior to move around to different areas of the country. It may be that, most organizers focus on their communities' needs, which are different type of events. For obvious reasons, many juniors are brought to tournaments by their parents, and are still finding their voice in the chess community. It's important to have more developed juniors like Eric, who have "been there, done that" a few times and can express very valid concerns.

We have a 2010 Canadian Junior Championship, April 30 to May 4 at Hart House, University of Toronto. Lets work out these differences while focusing on future years. Starting a chat about 2011 Canadian Junior can't hurt, even if it's still early, never hurts to throw out ideas, "what ifs" and "what would be necessary to".

Back to Toronto! We're not interested in having a Toronto Junior, this is meant to be the Canadian Junior. With 10 weeks away, hopefully those who live further away will be able to get it all together in time to join us. Ending early May, gives the winner three months to prepare for the World Junior, which should be enough. One of the advantages of the Canadian Junior taking place in Toronto is definitely the large chess community. There are probably more promising youngsters in Toronto than any other Canadian city, which increases the odds of a larger and more competitive field. It can be argued that this should also make it more appealing for travelers: the certain competition, the city's accessibility and diversity.

University of Toronto, Hart House and its Chess Club have a solid tradition. In the past 2 years, we've re-opened to the community in a big way and have been more active since at least a couple of decades. We're not a 5 star hotel, but I'd like to believe people keep coming back because we're doing some things right. We hope to put on a respectable Canadian Junior!

http://hhchess.sa.utoronto.ca/cj

Cheers,

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club
    Organizer, Canadian Junior 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ferreira
    We're not a 5 star hotel
    Alex, as you mentioned a hotel: Has the UoT any lodging facilities (guest house) for players? (Eric told me that GM B.Larsen was sleeping upstairs during one Open

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast