Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Canadian Junior?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ficzere
    It was the Calgary Junior Chess Club that expressed an interest in hosting the Canadian Junior. For 2009 they even submitted a bid, then later withdrew their bid because it was not well thought out. In my opinion, it was a wise decision.
    Just to remind. They submitted the second bid later with a changed date, however, there was one more bid from Victoria which won.

Michael, there are players and there are organizers. Eric is a player and concentrates on playing. Without players, who would we be organizing for?

I am very surprised with your answer. It seems very unprofessional. As the saying goes, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Eric made a suggestion which if it is taken seriously, maybe we will not be in this situation again next year.

I always welcome input from players. It usually leads to better events. You seem to try and discourage such input.
    Surprise, surprise...

Tony,
    Please don't be surprised with my answer - I'm NOT a professional chess organizer.
    I'm just a chess player, who has to do organizer's work, because no organizers willing "to take the heat".

There are organizers, you say?
    Where they are?
    Why we don't see a long line of organizers willing to organize Canadian Junior?

I always welcome input from players.
    Especially if such input accompanied by a willingness to do some groundwork.

Let me repeat:
    Canadian chess suffers not from lack of great ideas - I have more than enough on my plate.
    Canadian chess suffers from lack of great people, willing and able to implement these great ideas.

I appreciate your professional work for benefit of chess in Canada!

By the way, where is "2009 Canadian Open" book?
    You took my money, and now "staying out of the kitchen"?

Well, it's very professional...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Hi Michael,

You seem to be a bit agitated. Relax!

You decided to run as Junior Coordinator so it is your job to find organizers for the junior events. It looks like you have two parties interested in the Canadian Junior. I hope it works out.

In my last post I said there are players and there are organizers. In other words, you are either a player, or you are an organizer (sometimes both). I said this because of the way you answered Eric Hansen. I don't believe every player has a duty to organize. That was my point which I think you missed.

You seem to feel that if someone has an opinion, he or she has to step up to the plate and do the work. Very unrealistic in my opinion. Yes we need more organizers. The way to do this would be to encourage them. You should choose your words carefully.

The book is near completion. If the wait time has been too long for you, I will gladly send you a refund. Why you bring this up in this post is a mystery to me as it is totally unrelated to the thread. I guess you were trying to make me look bad. My apologies for being late. It is not uncommon for book deadlines to be delayed. It happens. I have a habit of taking on too much sometimes. I'm not complaining about it, just stating a fact.

Best of luck to you in chess.

Tony

Hi Michael,

You seem to be a bit agitated. Relax!

You decided to run as Junior Coordinator so it is your job to find organizers for the junior events. It looks like you have two parties interested in the Canadian Junior. I hope it works out.

In my last post I said there are players and there are organizers. In other words, you are either a player, or you are an organizer (sometimes both). I said this because of the way you answered Eric Hansen. I don't believe every player has a duty to organize. That was my point which I think you missed.

You seem to feel that if someone has an opinion, he or she has to step up to the plate and do the work. Very unrealistic in my opinion. Yes we need more organizers. The way to do this would be to encourage them. You should choose your words carefully.

The book is near completion. If the wait time has been too long for you, I will gladly send you a refund. Why you bring this up in this post is a mystery to me as it is totally unrelated to the thread. I guess you were trying to make me look bad. My apologies for being late. It is not uncommon for book deadlines to be delayed. It happens. I have a habit of taking on too much sometimes. I'm not complaining about it, just stating a fact.

Best of luck to you in chess.

Tony
    Thank you, Tony!

I will try to follow your advice...

But to make my points clear, I will use simple and exact words.
    Sorry, if my choice of words is not what you like...

I decided to run as Junior Coordinator, because neither you, nor Eric, nor Ken, nor somobody else was willing to take the job.
    How much do you pay me for my job?
    Until I will be paid for this job, I will decide myself what is my job and what isn't.
    If you don't like it - you're welcome to run against me.

I don't believe there is a separation between players and organizers.
    We certainly have too few organizers, and every player has a duty to appreciate organizers that we still have and help them whenever possible.
    Everybody could have an opinion.
    But if you can't say anything good - it's better say nothing.
    If you could do something better - just do it!

I bring the issue with your book up in this thread to help you understand that sometimes you can't complete your work in time for other people's expectations.
    It is not uncommon for tournaments to be announced a few months in advance. It happens.
    I don't have a habit of taking on too much.
    I have a habit of sharing my workload with people who are trying to criticize me...
    I'm not threatening you, just stating a fact.

Best of luck to you in chess too!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Is it merely a coincidence that shortly after I posted and complained about the Canadian Junior that organizers came and now we have a Canadian Junior? Seems like my action or according to you, lack of, has accomplished more than all your behind-the-scenes hard work in finding an organizer and supporting junior chess in Canada. Judging by the speed of the organization of the Canadian Junior, seems like potential organizers weren't lacking, but they merely didn't have enough information for them to consider bidding on it or were even aware they could bid on it. One organizer said he thought that it was to be in Calgary, so a few short notices anytime since the July AGM to organizers saying that the Canadian Junior was available to bid on would probably be sufficient. Now that isn't so hard, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hansen
    Is it merely a coincidence that shortly after I posted and complained about the Canadian Junior that organizers came and now we have a Canadian Junior? Seems like my action or according to you, lack of, has accomplished more than all your behind-the-scenes hard work in finding an organizer and supporting junior chess in Canada. Judging by the speed of the organization of the Canadian Junior, seems like potential organizers weren't lacking, but they merely didn't have enough information for them to consider bidding on it or were even aware they could bid on it. One organizer said he thought that it was to be in Calgary, so a few short notices anytime since the July AGM to organizers saying that the Canadian Junior was available to bid on would probably be sufficient. Now that isn't so hard, is it?
    To be honest, I was not really aware of the situation until some parents contacted me about it, suggesting that I consider getting involved, etc.

By the way, I stepped aside when Alex indicated that he was part of a group that was considering running it this year. I must admit that I have been swamped with work, and had fallen behind checking the latest status ...

Congrats to the Hart House team for stepping forward on such short notice!
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 02-10-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added late congrats

No worries, from what it seems like, your tournaments in Ottawa are doing great and I've heard some wonderful things about them. Keep up the fantastic job of promoting chess!

No worries, from what it seems like, your tournaments in Ottawa are doing great and I've heard some wonderful things about them. Keep up the fantastic job of promoting chess!
    Hi Eric, thanks for the kind words!

Exclamation The bidding on 2011 Canadian Junior has started!

Yes, Eric, I would say it's merely a coincidence.
    Believe me, the organization of the Canadian Junior started before your complain.

But the exchange of information wouldn't hurt.
    When you found out that Calgary will NOT organize 2010 Canadian Junior?
    If it was known earlier, probably we would find a new organizers earlier.

Now I would like to follow your advice and announce to all potential organizers:
    Please consider bidding on 2011 Canadian Junior.
    It's a good time to start it NOW.

Any takers?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Bidding for the 2011 Canadian Junior?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Now I would like to follow your advice and announce to all potential organizers:
    Please consider bidding on 2011 Canadian Junior.
    It's a good time to start it NOW.

Any takers?
    Michael, you should communicate some parameters for the 2011 Canadian Junior. Some useful information to answer:

1. When should it be held? In 2011, i would guess, but by what date?
    2. When should the bids be submitted to CFC? Before 2010 AGM?
    3. Some history on the tournament would be useful?
    4. The winner get what? Canada's rep at World Junior tournament?
    5. What size budget should organizers expect?
    6. What support/cooperation can be expected from CFC? If any?

Communicating useful knowledge about the Canadian Junior early might prompt some interest in organizers who may never have considered it. Get this information on the website, along with an invitation to bid for 2011, and you maybe surprised.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast