Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Canadian Junior?

Hi Michael:

On ChessTalk, Aris Marghetis is indicating some interest in organizing the 2010 Canadian Junior, subject to further research.

Bob

Hi Michael:

As well, Hart House seems interested:

( from ChessTalk )

February 2, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Alex Ferreira

Re: Canadian Junior

Hi Aris,

Hart House Chess Club is currently looking at the possibility of organizing it.
    Either end of April or early May.
    We'll return to this topic in a few days.

Alex Ferreira
    Hart House Chess Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi Michael:

On ChessTalk, Aris Marghetis is indicating some interest in organizing the 2010 Canadian Junior, subject to further research.

Bob
    Hi guys, here is what I posted on ChessTalk, in case anyone can advise me :

Hi there, two people have recently asked me behind the scenes to consider offering to run the Canadian Junior. For some reason, part of my brain had previously assumed that Calgary was the frontrunner, but from Tony's post last week (I was rarely online for a few days, sorry about that), it seems there are currently no plans for the 2010 event?

Would a recent organizer be interested in receiving a long curious phone call from me?!

Aris Marghetis
    FIDE Arbiter
    Ottawa, Ontario

Michael, is this a serious reply? Just because I live in the same city doesn't mean I am actively involved. I am not on the board, I do not attend meetings, and right now my focus is on being a player and achieving the highest level I can first. Instead of asking someone who happens to live in the same city (of over 1 million people) why it hasn't worked out, why not ask the people who expressed the interest to you? You know something is wrong when the CFC is still clinging on "expressed interest" that happened in the past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Eric,

What YOU could do so we don't have this same problem year after year?

Could you at least explain -
    Why your home town is unable to organize Canadian Junior 2 years in a row, despite of expressed interest?
    Michael,

What could YOU do so we don't have this same problem year after year - or at the very least, this year?

Could you at least explain - Why you, despite being Youth Coordinator, have been unable to either organize or find someone to organize the Canadian Junior this year, despite expressions of interest?

I concur with Chris.

Eric,

What YOU could do so we don't have this same problem year after year?

Could you at least explain -
    Why your home town is unable to organize Canadian Junior 2 years in a row, despite of expressed interest?
    Michael,

It was the Calgary Junior Chess Club that expressed an interest in hosting the Canadian Junior. For 2009 they even submitted a bid, then later withdrew their bid because it was not well thought out. In my opinion, it was a wise decision.

For 2010 they were again considering hosting the Canadian Junior, but were unable to provide a good bid to host it in the time slot in which it should have been run which is just after Christmas.

In my opinion, this event should always be run around Christmas time so that it does not conflict with other events in Canada. Maybe the governors should deal with this issue.

The fact that the CJCC decided not to bid shows that they respect the event. They want to run a professional tournament, not some last minute tournament thrown together under unfavourable conditions.

So Michael, the question is do you want a well run event, or a poorly organized event?

Default 2010 Canadian Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hansen
    Michael, is this a serious reply? Just because I live in the same city doesn't mean I am actively involved. I am not on the board, I do not attend meetings, and right now my focus is on being a player and achieving the highest level I can first. Instead of asking someone who happens to live in the same city (of over 1 million people) why it hasn't worked out, why not ask the people who expressed the interest to you? You know something is wrong when the CFC is still clinging on "expressed interest" that happened in the past.
    Eric,

Yes, I'm quite serious.
    This is the problem of Canadian chess - you're not on the board, you do not attend meetings, and right now your focus is on being a player.
    And who has to do all organizational work for you?

You know, I was not born on the board or at the meeting.
    I was a chess player - just like you.
    And just like you I was unsatisfied by Canadian chess organization.
    But unlike you I try my best to do what I feel must be done to improve the situation and appreciate any effort by anyone else in this regard.

I would appreciate very much, if you could be able not only ask questions, but give some answers.
    If you feel that something should be done - just do it!
    You see, we can't expect it from Christopher Mallon or Ken Craft.

On a positive note - I'm pleased to inform you that Hart House Chess Club and personally Alex Ferreira are willing to organize 2010 Canadian Junior Championship on a very short notice.
    Whey are finalizing organizational details and will submit an official bid in a few days.
    The event will take place at University of Toronto in the end of April or early May.
    More information will follow.

Anybody who is willing to organize 2011 Canadian Junior - please start doing it NOW!
    If you have any questions or concerns - I'm here to help you!

Aris, I would be pleased to receive a long curious phone call from you - my phone is 416-739-6257.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Eric,

Yes, I'm quite serious.
    This is the problem of Canadian chess - you're not on the board, you do not attend meetings, and right now your focus is on being a player.
    And who has to do all organizational work for you?

You know, I was not born on the board or at the meeting.
    I was a chess player - just like you.
    And just like you I was unsatisfied by Canadian chess organization.
    But unlike you I try my best to do what I feel must be done to improve the situation and appreciate any effort by anyone else in this regard.

I would appreciate very much, if you could be able not only ask questions, but give some answers.
    If you feel that something should be done - just do it!
    You see, we can't expect it from Christopher Mallon or Ken Craft.

On a positive note - I'm pleased to inform you that Hart House Chess Club and personally Alex Ferreira are willing to organize 2010 Canadian Junior Championship on a very short notice.
    Whey are finalizing organizational details and will submit an official bid in a few days.
    The event will take place at University of Toronto in the end of April or early May.
    More information will follow.

Anybody who is willing to organize 2011 Canadian Junior - please start doing it NOW!
    If you have any questions or concerns - I'm here to help you!

Aris, I would be pleased to receive a long curious phone call from you - my phone is 416-739-6257.
    Michael, there are players and there are organizers. Eric is a player and concentrates on playing. Without players, who would we be organizing for?

I am very surprised with your answer. It seems very unprofessional. As the saying goes, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Eric made a suggestion which if it is taken seriously, maybe we will not be in this situation again next year.

I always welcome input from players. It usually leads to better events. You seem to try and discourage such input.

Let's be clear, Michael. This falls in your portfolio as an executive member. It's not my job or Chris.' For the record, I have assisted at two Canadian Junior Championships held in Saint John. Your comments to Eric are way out of line and should be retracted.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast