Thread: 2010-11 Budget

Default 2010-11 Budget

Some governors have requested the Executive to present to the governors by March 31, a 2010-11 budget. This would be one month before the start of the new fiscal year, on May 1, 2010. It would allow the governors three weeks to debate the budget among themselves and with the Executive ( to April 21 ). Then it would allow one week for voting on the budget ( April 22 - 28 ). There are a number of budget issues to be dealt with, such as the cost of the Canadian Chess News, the natioal Olympiad team ( and women's team ), fee structure, etc. Thus we could conceivable have a budget passed BEFORE the start of a fiscal year - don't know the last time that has happened for the CFC. The executive are currently doing their homework on this request, and hope to get back to the governors shortly to confirm this is doable.

The budget could then guide the executive spending in 2010-11.

The governors also recently debated and voted on the revised 2009-10 budget. The results of that vote are expected publicly in the imminent GL # 3.

The governors are taking steps to govern.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    ...the imminent GL # 3.

Bob
    Love your sense of humour, Bob.

Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    ...the imminent GL # 3.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McKillop
    Love your sense of humour, Bob.
    That's right! There is a lot of Bob's sense of humour in that. Bravo Bob.

Last edited by Caesar Posylek; 02-08-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Hi Peter:

It seems I was right that the GL # 3 was imminent - now in the governors' hot little paddies, and will be posted shortly.

Also, though sometimes efforts seem laughable, the governors are trying !

Bob

Some think the Governors are very trying, Bob.

I really am setting myself up for these, aren't I??

Bob

Default March 31 2010-11 Budget Deadline - Still Under Discussion

I have now been talking to Maurice Smith, CFC Treasurer, and he advises that he is now reviewing copious financial records for the 2009-10 fiscal year, and trying to determine when he thinks he might be able to produce a new budget for 2010-11. At this time he does not want to make a commitment to a deadline of March 31 for presentation of the budget. The schedule the governors were hoping for on this is:

1. April 1 to April 21 for discussion ( 3 weeks ) – there was some discussion on the 2009-10 budget on the Governors’ Discussion Board ( though it appears Eric had hoped for higher participation ); hopefully we will continue to increase the budget response as governors get more used to using the board;

2. April 22 to April 28 to vote ( 1 week ) – a week for an e-mail vote after 3 weeks discussion seems reasonable;

3. CFC would then have the budget approved BEFORE the May 1 start of the new fiscal year ( quite an accomplishment for CFC ! ).

Maurice has advised he will get back to me on this issue of a self-imposed deadline, and whether he thinks it is doable.

Bob