Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Canadian Junior?

Default 2010 Canadian Junior?

Posted by Junior Eric Hansen on ChessTalk:

January 25, 2010, 12:24 AM
    Eric Hansen

Canadian Junior

Anybody know when the Canadian Junior will be? The World Junior's will be this August, earlier than usual, and therefore we probably have to hold it May or earlier. The fact that we haven't had a player in the previous two World Juniors is quite embarrassing, we need to change the trend. If there is no one who wants to run the event, then instead of waiting till last minute there should be some sort of criteria to pick the official representative who gets the hotel room + airfare. And in case some don't know, anyone can participate in the World Junior so the tournament isn't completely necessary. It's just frustrating the past few years I've been trying to play in our national Junior but it's typically announced last minute . I plan to play in the World's this year nevertheless, but I think the CFC needs to decide whether they want to fully support this dwindling tournament every year or dropping it altogether, as right now it only adds inconveniences to players and their schedules the way it's handled.

Question Canadian Junior ?

I hope, Eric Hansen knows that at the CFC AGM 2009 in Edmonton no bids for Canadian Junior 2010 were presented, but Calgary Junior Chess Club organizers expressed their interest to organize this tournament.

Is Eric Hansen involved in its organization?

Does he know when the Canadian Junior will be?

Any other news from Calgary?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Posted on ChessTalk ( after I copied Michael's post there, for Eric ):

January 26, 2010, 01:22 AM
    Tony Ficzere

Re: Canadian Junior

At one point, the Calgary Junior Chess Club did express an interest to bid on the 2010 Canadian Junior. No bid was ever submitted to the CFC. At this point in time, I can assure you that there will be no bid by the CJCC for the 2010 Canadian Junior.

How many players are expected and how much does the organiser get to cover the cost? Is it still 50$ per player?

Default World Junior

This would be an excellent time for the youth co-ordinator to bring us up to speed on how the funding works for getting the Canadian Junior Champion to the World Junior. I've never fully understood it.

Hi Paul:

I may be able to help here since I was involved in a thread on this a while ago ( though I hope Michael will chime in with corrections/additional info ).

The funds for the prize for the Canadian Junior come exclusively from the Canadian Junior registration fees. Further, the winner has the choice of using his/her prize to go to the World Junior, or to use it to go to any other major international tournament. The winner of the 2009 Canadian Junior was FM Raja Panjwani. He advised he could not go to the 2009 World Junior due to his schooling. But he intends to go to the 2010 World Junior and use his prize to get there ( even if he does not win the 2010 Canadian Junior, if we have one ).

I think these are the basic facts.

Bob

Yes, I recall now that we had this discussion a while back. It struck me when we held the Junior here last summer that the entry fees were pretty steep. I mused at the time about the Pugi Fund assisting with getting the Junior champion to the World Junior. If an opening for a trustee on the Pugi Fund opens up I may offer my services with that in mind. The fund is not overly large but I think $500 annually would be do-able.

I think at the 2008 OCA AGM the GTCL confirmed that it would host the Canadian Junior if there would be no other bids. (or maybe there were different conditions). However this year the GTCL is organizing Ontario and Canadian Opens.

According to the FIDE calendar the next World Junior is scheduled for 2- 17 August (2010) at Chotowa Czarna (Poland). As there a fixed time to announce the participant for WJ (60 days?) and a tournament (CJ) itself, not much time left to organize the Canadian Junior.
    Long weekends:
    Family day (February) - not enough time
    Easter (April) - possible day
    Victoria day (May) - possible day
    Canada Day (July) - probably too late and might interfere with the CYCC.

Canada day is way too late. Victoria day has everyone tournament in Canada conflicting. Easter is less than two months notice. It could be done but it'll be another Toronto Junior. As well, the strong norm tournament Philadelphia Open (formerly Foxwoods) is on that same weekend, and many juniors traditionally go. I've already booked my ticket for it as it starts at the end of next month. But really, this last minute stuff kills preparation. Cancel the tournament this year and make a clear guideline so we don't have this same problem year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hansen
    Canada day is way too late. Victoria day has everyone tournament in Canada conflicting. Easter is less than two months notice. It could be done but it'll be another Toronto Junior. As well, the strong norm tournament Philadelphia Open (formerly Foxwoods) is on that same weekend, and many juniors traditionally go. I've already booked my ticket for it as it starts at the end of next month. But really, this last minute stuff kills preparation. Cancel the tournament this year and make a clear guideline so we don't have this same problem year after year.

Eric,

What YOU could do so we don't have this same problem year after year?

Could you at least explain -
    Why your home town is unable to organize Canadian Junior 2 years in a row, despite of expressed interest?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast