Thread: CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Default CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Here is a simple idea to simultaneously promote the CFC and local chess clubs, and inexpensive too!

Large colour posters. Some marketing savvy individual at the CFC, with some good graphic software and a small budget, creates the posters.

The top half of the poster would be all be the same, promoting the CFC and upcoming national events, ie. Canadian Open and CYCC. The bottom half of the poster would promote the local chess club. Clubs would provide the CFC with contact info and whatever else it wanted on the poster. The clubs would provide the manpower to see that the posters get displayed in community bulletin boards etc.

To the general public, the chess community is nearly invisible. This simple step of getting professional looking large colour posters displayed in public areas would bring in new members. There are people out there who would consider joining a club or trying their luck at a tournament, we just need to ask them, by letting them know we are here!

I have to believe this simple co-operative marketing plan between the CFC and local clubs is within our grasp and will bear fruit.

Comments? Has this idea ever been tried?

Do we have a governor who will champion this idea?
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 01-22-2010 at 04:13 AM.

I trust you will become a Governor next year Bob?
    We could use you on the team.
    I see your suggestion as falling in the purview of issues the Exec could simply implement. Do we need to use the currently clunky gubernatorial system to implement it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders

Do we have a governor who will champion this idea?
    I wrote about posters at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...50&postcount=2
    (no one replied)

What do you need from Governors (or CFC)? A motion to start a process? Finances to contract a designer?

Default Teamwork and communication essential......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    I see your suggestion as falling in the purview of issues the Exec could simply implement. Do we need to use the currently clunky gubernatorial system to implement it?
    I say, lets us the gubernatorial system and de-clunkify it! (is that a word?)
    Instead of getting into a turf war between Exec & Govs, simply open the idea up for discussion, get some input, propose a budget, get a consensus (majority), and do it.

The effort will be wasted without participation from the clubs. The discussion and consultative process will act to advertise the program amongst the clubs, and to build teamwork amongst the chess community. At least in theory anyways!

Default A different audience......

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    I wrote about posters at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...50&postcount=2
    (no one replied)

What do you need from Governors (or CFC)? A motion to start a process? Finances to contract a designer?
    I like your idea Egis. It is sad commentary that nobody replied.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see your posters as a great tool to advertise future events and the CFC at tournament sites. So your target audience are current tournament players.

My target audience is the general public. To get those people who enjoy a game of chess, but who need that gentle nudge to visit a chess club. They are out there, if we advertise, they will come!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see your posters as a great tool to advertise future events and the CFC at tournament sites. So your target audience are current tournament players.
    At that moment, my poster idea was for the CFC. However, it is a simple advertisement - a poster. If it is used wisely (as you mentioned: a different audience - a different poster) it should give fruits. (I don't expect crowds coming, but who knows
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; 01-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Here is a simple idea to simultaneously promote the CFC and local chess clubs, and inexpensive too!

Large colour posters. Some marketing savvy individual at the CFC, with some good graphic software and a small budget, creates the posters.

The top half of the poster would be all be the same, promoting the CFC and upcoming national events, ie. Canadian Open and CYCC. The bottom half of the poster would promote the local chess club. Clubs would provide the CFC with contact info and whatever else it wanted on the poster. The clubs would provide the manpower to see that the posters get displayed in community bulletin boards etc.

To the general public, the chess community is nearly invisible. This simple step of getting professional looking large colour posters displayed in public areas would bring in new members. There are people out there who would consider joining a club or trying their luck at a tournament, we just need to ask them, by letting them know we are here!

I have to believe this simple co-operative marketing plan between the CFC and local clubs is within our grasp and will bear fruit.

Find a 5th grader who is a pretty strong player and ask "Can you beat a 5th Grader?" with he/she stared over a chessboard ala Kasparov or Tal. Maybe another caption with "Bring it on" or he/she waving opponents on like in the Matrix...

Default CFC - Chess promotion idea!

How about looking for rich and open-handed sponsors willing to donate some amounts of moneys for chess activities in general?