Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junior Coordinator - Specifying Duties

Default Junior Coordinator - Role re YCC

It is an interesting point you raise. The CFC has set up the new YCC system, and so feels responsible to make sure the provinces organize them. Should we therefore say the Junior Coordinator is primarily responsible?

You suggest making it clear that the Provincial Junior Coordinator is primarily responsible to find the organizers for the YCC and Regional Qualifier YCC's. This would leave the Junior Coordinator in the role of " assisting " the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding YCC/Regional Qualifier YCC's organizers.

This seems reasonable. I will approach Patrick on amending the section to read:

8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for the Canadian Junior Championship and the Canadian Youth Chess Championships, and for assisting the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding organizers for the Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships.

Does this seem reasonable?

I think the Junior Coordinator does have a role in the YCC's. I don't think we should just delete that role. For the CFC system to operate there have to be YCC's, and the Junior Coordinator at least has to oversee that this happens.

Bob

Thank you, Bob!

Now your motion looks much better!

I would add as well Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championship to Junior Coordinator responsibilities.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Hi Michael:

I don't think we will do that. The tournament involves many students who are over 20 years of age.

We feel we've gotten good feedback, and the changes have improved the motion. We are satisfied with it now. Thanks for your help Michael.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for the Canadian Junior Championship and the Canadian Youth Chess Championships, and for assisting the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding organizers for the Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships
    After rereading I think it is just too crowded with tournaments' names. Why not to name them as FIDE junior and youth tournaments (you may find the whole list at
    http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=27&view=category
    http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=28&view=category
    ) and National junior and youth tournaments (and creating the list).

Other question is the meaning of "our participation". The second section of the Handbook (http://www.chess.ca/section_2.htm ) has only one mentioning of "our" - "IN WITNESS WHEREOF we have hereunto set our hands at the City of Kingston this day of , 1976.", and probably meaning "The applicants are individuals...:

KALEV PUGI, Chemical Engineer, 85 Casterton Ave., Kingston, Ontario
    MALCOLM COLLINS Physicist, 59 Brian Boulevard, Waterdown, Ontario
    JOHN REINBERGS Credit Union Manager, 1891 Briar Crook Cres., Mississauga, Ontario
    "

Thus, will a Junior Coordinator be responsible of these persons participations in all these tournaments?

---

Another work for a Junior coordinator - to lead the Junior chess not only in coordinating participation but development in principal (coaching, chess and normal schools, etc)

Hi Egis:

Some good points, but Patrick and I feel satisfied with the current amended motion. I think any further changes will have to be brought in future by motion by someone else, with their specific concerns.

But to answer your points if I can:

1. Michael Barron, current Junior Coordinator, was the one who felt that specifying the major tournaments would help make sure they didn't get neglected, rather than just using some geneic phrases;
    2. " our " participation refers to Canada's and the CFC's participation. We feel that this implication is clear enough.
    3. as to the juniors involved internationally, the Junior Coordinator will help them with the details of their participation. He will help find organizers for the national tournaments, and help promote them to our juniors. The legislation cannot say everything - it sets a framework, and then it is worked out on the ground as things proceed.
    4. As to development of junior chess among the public generally, we have not included this. The duties already look daunting, just dealing with the junior tournaments. And there will be a new public relations coordinator whose job it will be to promote chess generally to the public.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12