Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Executive Position - Tournament Coordinator

Blog Entries

If you're following Robert's Rules of Order (which the CFC does NOT, in fact), the filers of a motion cannot consent to any amendments - the motions are the property of the meeting once properly seconded or some kind of wording like that and any amendment must be voted on in some way.

Default Roberts Rules of Order - Unseconded Motions

Hi Chris:

Thx.

But what of my suggestion - suppose Lyle for some reason withdraws as seconder of David's motion 2010-01. The motion would then be unseconded.

Could I not then move a motion before Eric, as Chair, that the motion be declared " out of order and struck from the agenda " for failure of a seconder?

Bob

P.S. 1. In fact, should that happen, I would then second the motion myself, since I do want part of the Motion 2010-01 passed ( only in a very truncated version ).
    2. It is my experience in other organizations, that if someone moves an amendment to a motion, the mover and seconder of the original motion can be asked if they accept the amendment as a " friendly " amendment. If they agree, then the motion is then and there amended, and the assembly does not get a chance to vote on the amendment motion. Do you agree this is possible?
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 11-19-2009 at 05:12 PM.

As Chris points out "friendly" ammendments are a procedural fiction. When a motion is on the floor it is the property of the Assembly not that of the mover and seconder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12