Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Canadian Junior - Nature of the Prize?

Default 2009 Canadian Junior - Nature of the Prize?

The following posts are from ChessTalk:

October 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
    Eric Hansen

Re: In the interest of transparency.

I understand that Raja gets the $$ prize, and if he doesn't go to the World Junior, he can use the prize toward any other tournament of his choice. The second place finisher has been offered the official position, but with no subsidy, except accomodation expenses which are paid by the organizers.

I am trying to get a sense of people's opinions on this - see my posts above.

Bob
    __________________________________________________ __________

When did the CFC make this policy? It's ridiculous. This is a national event with the purpose of choosing a Canadian Champion and world junior participant (although anyone can go). It's like CYCC winners choosing to use it on any event they choose, or the Canadian Closed champ not going to the world cup and instead using it for whatever he wants. I believe this is at least the 2nd time in recent memory the CFC screwed up. IM Tayar finished second a couple years ago but was not contacted by the CFC to inform him that the first place couldn't go. He did tell me he would of participated. We need to keep it simple, like local-provincial-national-worlds.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    __________________________________________________ ____________

October 20, 2009, 11:50 PM
    Gary Ruben
    Just Wondering

Re: Canadian Junior - Nature of the Prize?

Do you think the Canadian Junior winner should be able to keep the prize, even if not going to the World Junior, so long as it is applied to some other tournament of his/her choice?

Bob
    __________________________________________________ _________

I think not sending a junior to the World Junior Championship reflects badly on Canada.

If the prize is for travel to the World Junior that's how it should be used. If the player who qualifies can't attend the following placings should be given the opportunity.

I also think the entire fare should be paid.

Canada must be starting to be a joke on the International scene.
    __________________________________________________ ________

The 2009 Canadian Junior organizer does not even know the policy:

October 20, 2009, 10:47 PM

Brian Raymer

In the interest of transparency.

There were 12 players at the Canadian Junior in Victoria. Entry fee was $150 each 12X150=$1800 A cheque for $1000 was sent to the CFC to contribute toward the winner for travel to the World Junior. Does anyone know.... How the $1000 will be spent if no one goes. If anyone else was offered the chance?

Perhaps Michael Barron, Youth Coordinator, could defend the current policy, and the option chosen by Raja. It might help clear the air a bit.

Thanks.

Bob

( added by edit: What do you think of the current policy? )
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-21-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Have you rceived an answer off-line, Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    I believe this is at least the 2nd time in recent memory the CFC screwed up.
    Stop it Bob, stop it! Either you are vying for "comedian of the week" or you have a very short-term memory.

Hi Ken:

Not yet - but I would be surprised if Michael has seen it yet - I did write him early this morning to alert him to the post.

What do you think of the current policy?

Bob

Hi John:

Actually, the quote you refer to is by Eric Hansen, not me. But I agree with your sentiment.

What do you think of the current Canadian Junior Championship policy, since you deal in youth chess?

Bob

I'm waiting for a clarification on what our policy is from the Executive before I comment, Bob.

Hi John:

Actually, the quote you refer to is by Eric Hansen, not me. But I agree with your sentiment.

What do you think of the current Canadian Junior Championship policy, since you deal in youth chess?

Bob
    Sorry, Bob, I have about 4000 things to think of right now, so I'll get back to you later... maybe, 2012. I think I'll have a few minutes free in August 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    I'm waiting for a clarification on what our policy is from the Executive before I comment, Bob.
    The regulations/policy are in the Handbook Section 10. Is it up to date?

Perhaps Michael Barron, Youth Coordinator, could defend the current policy, and the option chosen by Raja. It might help clear the air a bit.

What do you think of the current policy?
    Hi Bob:

I can see a couple of justifications for the current policy (I'm not saying I support it--just pointing a couple of things out):

1. If the prize $$$ are insufficient to cover all of the costs of going to the World Junior, I can see justification for being able to use them on another tournament where the out-of-pocket costs for the player would be lower or non-existent.

2. If the timing of the Wolrd Junior is such that it would significantly interfere with education commitments.

Obviously #1 can be resolved by simply having the CFC commit to all reasonable expenses not covered by the organizers.

I'm not sure #2 is a compelling reason, but if none of the (say) the top 3 finishers in the Canadian Junior can go to the World Junior because of school commitments, then I can see allowing an exception for the winner to use a portion of the funds to play in another, approved, tournament.

Steve

Hi Egis:

The part of section 10 of the Handbook dealing with the Canadian Junior does not have a specific section on the " prize ". Thus I believe the relevant section would be:

1064. Authority of the Board of Directors [ = Execitive ]:

The CFC Board of Directors shall rule on any situation not covered by these regulations and shall have the authority to rule on any matter which is in dispute.

So we still must await Michael's confirmation and defence of the current Canadian Junior policy on the " prize " ( though I think from Michael's earlier postings it is clear that the winner gets the $ 1,000 prize, even if not going to the World Junior, so long as it is spent on another tournament of the winner's choice - Michael can correct me if I am wrong on this. )

Bob
    P.S. : ( and " No " , I don't know if this section is up-to-date )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast