Thread: Spraggett's Blog

Default Spraggett's Blog

Greetings,

While many of you read Kevin Spraggett's blog, many may not. Regarding Spraggett's posting of an email to him from myself, Spraggett provides little context.

In short, Spraggett was threatening to legally sue the CFC with respect to emails he had received from Michael Barron. As president of the CFC, I have a fiduciary responsibility to take such threats seriously and act accordingly. I requested Barron to desist communication with Spraggett and I tried to convince Spraggett with a little humour that his request had been taken care of.

I do admit that my language in my email to Spraggett was not very well worded. My intention of my comments was to communicate to Spraggett that Barron’s English language skills are not the best, and Spraggett should take that into account when interpreting Barron’s emails. Spraggett well knows that English is Barron’s second language. I do admit that what I wrote did not make my rationale clear.

As for the strong language I used at the Toronto Open, I apologize to Michael Barron for that and any other witnesses to this scene. It was not the best time for me to discuss chess politics, as I was agitated after a stressful chess game. However, that is no excuse, and in the future, I will act like a gentleman and be more patient in my conduct.

Be that as it may, Michael made the choice to work with me as president. He calculated that I had a leadership style that was easier to work with than the “burn-baby-burn” style of David Lavin. In addition, Michael stepped up to be Youth Coordinator when there were no other volunteers, and he has done a great job so far in this role. He has done an inordinate amount of work making arrangements for this year’s WYCC. His choice for coach of the WYCC team was not any easy one to make under the circumstances, but the more I communicate with Artiom Samsonkin, the more I am grateful for Michael’s choice.

Speaking of “burn-baby-burn”, it strikes me that Spraggett has sacrificed a confidence and a friendship (mine, to be clear) for what appears to nothing more than old news, specifically, the past. I will have to check the pool results but it appears that Halldor Palsson was the most accurate about the Greek gift of my “new best friend”, Kevin Spraggett. Perhaps, my own weakness is that I am just too generous and too trusting in my relations to others.

Be that as it may, if there is one thing that my presidency is about is to leave the past where it is, and move on and concentrate on growing chess in Canada. I invite all other lovers of chess to do the same.

As for my relations with Mr. Spraggett, I will treat him with the respect and the caution he deserves. I wish him best of luck and invite him to grow chess in Canada and the world at large.

Yours faithfully,
    Last edited by Eric Van Dusen; 10-13-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Eric Van Dusen
    CFC Past-President 2010-2011

While I think the representation of the previous President's leadership style could be construed as harmful to the Federation, I would never support censure such a post.

Default A Pause for Thought

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Dusen
    ... Perhaps, my own weakness is that I am just too generous and too trusting in my relations to others. ...
    Add "and too indiscreet," and I think you'll be on the right track.

Red face Humor that was too clever by half.

Be that as it may, Michael made the choice to work with me as president. He calculated that I had a leadership style that was easier to work with than the “burn-baby-burn” style of David Lavin.

Speaking of “burn-baby-burn”, it strikes me that Spraggett has sacrificed a confidence and a friendship
    On Kevin Spraggett's Blog entitled "CFC Election: A Two Horse Race", posted on July 2, 2009, the following was written:

1) What was thought of at first as confidence from David has since been revealed as mere arrogance.
    2) Then followed a Portrait of David Lavin with the caption, 'Burn baby burn' leadership style.

My attempt at a little humor using Kevin Spraggett's words of disappointment with David Lavin had reminded me of the kettle calling the teapot black, but perhaps I am the only the one that got burned.
    Eric Van Dusen

Default Clarification

I don't know if you intended the post to which I'm responding to be a response to my post or not, but, on the assumption that it was, let me clarify. I think you were indiscreet when you wrote Spraggett and talked about another CFC officer in sarcastic and derogatory terms.

I also think you were indiscreet when you posted the following about Halldor Palsson in your first post in this thread:
    ... I will have to check the pool results but it appears that Halldor Palsson was the most accurate about the Greek gift of my “new best friend”, Kevin Spraggett. ...
    I don't really know Halldor Palsson. I played him a couple of times 10 or 12 years ago and he seemed like a nice guy. Like a lot of people over the last decade or so, he's done his time as a Spraggett target. Did it occur to you that perhaps he would have preferred to not be publicly dragged back into Spraggett's target zone?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McKillop
    I don't really know Halldor Palsson. I played him a couple of times 10 or 12 years ago and he seemed like a nice guy. Like a lot of people over the last decade or so, he's done his time as a Spraggett target. Did it occur to you that perhaps he would have preferred to not be publicly dragged back into Spraggett's target zone?
    Hi Peter,

I am quite good friends with Halldor Palsson. I see him pretty much every week at the Ottawa RA Chess Club. His opinion of the presidency is that it has always been a thankless task. His honeymoon period with Kevin Spraggett was non-existent. When Spraggett supported me in the election race for presidency, Halldor warned me about my "new best friend". The common opinion in Ottawa was it was just a matter of time when Spraggett would turn on me as president. That is Spraggett's normal trajectory regarding CFC presidents. Halldor’s “new best friend” line is just a running gag he has with me.

Peter, the problem with using humor in written form is that there is no body language or tone that can be interpreted. However, humour is an excellent tool to diffuse tense situations and de-escalate. Humor disarms and laughter is the best medicine.

As Eric Idle sings:

Always look on the bright side of life...
    (I mean - what have you got to lose?)
    (You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
    What have you lost? Nothing!)
    Always look on the right side of life...
    Eric Van Dusen

When Spraggett supported me in the election race for presidency, Halldor warned me about my "new best friend". The common opinion in Ottawa was it was just a matter of time when Spraggett would turn on me as president. That is Spraggett's normal trajectory regarding CFC presidents. Halldor’s “new best friend” line is just a running gag he has with me.
    Hi Eric,

Kevin Spraggett for CFC President in 2010!

Burn Baby Burn

Larry

Blog Entries

I guess that makes me the exception as the only recent CFC President to have NEVER had Kevin's support