Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ordinary Member/Governor Dialogue

Default CFC Chess Forum Progressing

It has been pleasant to see the traffic slowly grow at the CFC Chess Forum. And we have dealt with a number of CFC issues over the last while, as well as other normal chess event notices, etc.. There have been discussions on:

1. The Nature of the Can. Junior Prize;
    2. Concern about public criticism of the CFC on chess chat sites by Governors and others;
    3. The new CFC Procedure's Committee, and its subcommittees, the CFC AGM Modernization Committee and the Governors' Voting Modernization Committee;
    4. The new CFC Fundraising Committee;
    5. This topic of ordinary member/governor dialogue;
    6. CFC Website security and a possible new CFC Website;
    7. Progress of the CFC in the first couple of months of the new van Dusen administration.

These are valuable topics for the ordinary members and governors to dialogue on. I think they prove the worthwhileness of this CFC members' board.

If there is improvement in making use of this board that might be considered, it would be that members/governors express their own opinions on things more often. There are often many " views " of topics, but I find that many viewers do not respond to requests for personal opinions, or for them to state a position on a difficult CFC issue. Replies need not be elaborate, nor lengthy. But giving a precise statement of where you stand on an issue does have influence on others' thinking, and sometimes helps show in what direction something is moving. I hope we all will recognize that this board's usefulness is increased as more and more often we can read about the views and positions of other members.

Bob

Default CFC Chess Forum Progressing, but......

I am still waiting for an answer. Some time ago, on this thread, I asked about the status of the proceeds from the condo sale, if whether or not those funds had made their way to the Chess Foundation. After some time, the answer came back simply Yes, with the date. My obvious follow up question, how much? hasn't been answered. (My apologies if I have missed it)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    I am still waiting for an answer. Some time ago, on this thread, I asked about the status of the proceeds from the condo sale, if whether or not those funds had made their way to the Chess Foundation. After some time, the answer came back simply Yes, with the date. My obvious follow up question, how much? hasn't been answered. (My apologies if I have missed it)
    B.G., I think I've read that questions about the CFC affairs should be made not public

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    B.G., I think I've read that questions about the CFC affairs should be made not public
    The answers are often NOT made public either!

It seems systemic.

Unhappy Well, eventually........

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    The answers are often NOT made public either!
    Well, eventually my question will get answered in the financial reports which are made public via the Governor's Letters! I guess I just need to have some patience.

Oh, that begs another question. The next GL is when?

Since Bob A. has asked for member comments, I have a few regarding GL's. The Governors' Letters need to have fixed dates. I'm not sure we need them every month, but the dates must be predictable. The executive, or secretary, should set the dates for the upcoming year, deadlines for submissions and publication.

Some flexibility to accomodate Lyle's schedule is okay. It is not acceptable to impose deadlines which may cause our volunteers harm. A notification, when necessary, that the GL will be a few days late will be fine.

The submission deadlines for the next GL need to be extended. Often the submission deadline for the next one is only a few days after publication. This is ridiculous. At least 3 weeks please! The publication date should only be about a week after the submission deadline, no more.

And if the executives can't get their reports in on time, that's too bad. They can post their report on the discussion board if it's urgent, otherwise it goes on the next GL.

End of rant. 30. We now return you to the usual squabbling and insults.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 10-27-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Hi Bob:

I thought I saw a figure in the range of # 50,000, maybe somewhat more.

You also might contact Maurice - he can give you the exact figure - I believe he doesn't monitor this board, so he won't see your request.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-27-2009 at 01:15 PM.

A member of the executive doesn't monitor the Federation's discussion board? Is that what I heard you write, Bob?

And I agree with Mr. Gillanders' "rant"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    A member of the executive doesn't monitor the Federation's discussion board? Is that what I heard you write, Bob?
    If a person logins, it can seen when he came here: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/me...astvisit&pp=30
    I add - this forum is very inactive. Compare same thing at chesstalk: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/memb...astvisit&pp=50

It would be great that the CFC would create a poster with its advertisement (site, newsletters, forum, main tournaments). I could help to hang it at tournaments

Question I thought other may want to know also!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi Bob:

I thought I saw a figure in the range of # 50,000, maybe somewhat more.

You also might contact Maurice - he can give you the exact figure - I believe he doesn't monitor this board, so he won't see your request.

Bob
    Yes, I could contact Maurice directly, but I thought others may want to know the answer also. Maurice did respond on this venue. In his shoes, I think I would have given a few more details, and checked back later for any further questions.

It is unrealistic to expect all of the CFC executives to be constantly logging in to answer questions. Perhaps somebody should be tasked with the role of monitoring the board and seeing that answers are forthcoming. Just a thought!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast