Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAYCC 2025 Bids May 4 deadline for submission of bids to CFC

Blog Entries

Default NAYCC 2025 Bids May 4 deadline for submission of bids to CFC

Any bidders interested in hosting NAYCC 2025 will need to submit their bids to the CFC within six weeks or by May 4th. Acceptance of any bid will be at the discretion of the CFC. Any bid should include some provision to support the CFC youth fund. Bidders shall be required to provide a detailed budget of revenues, expenses and expected profits. FIDE America or the CCA is the sanctioning body and each bidder will need to provide approximately $20 USD to the CCA per player. Your local tourism bureau will be able to assist you in creating the bid and may provide some subsidy. With proper marketing, the tournament should attract approximately 300 to 450 players or more.

There are requirements for the organizers to provide a total of up to 36 official players (twelve each for each of the three countries of Canada, U.S. and Mexico as well as heads of delegation for each delegation) an allowance for food and accommodation. You will need to provide 60% of the cost of accommodation based on double occupancy according to the latest regulations. There are also requirements that players with rights (last year's champions) will also be provided with food and accommodation. Detailed requirements can be found on the CCA website. Bids have to be submitted to CCA by the CFC. You cannot apply directly. You should have an international arbiter in order to be able to run this tournament as there are direct titles awarded to the winners and runners up.

You can contact the CFC if you would like more details.

Competition rules can be found on the FIDE America website below.

Bids should be sent to CFC Secretary Lyle Craver.

https://fideamerica.net/site/en/regu...competiciones/
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-23-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Vlad.

Maybe we should clarify if the deadline is in 6 weeks or June 4, as they do not align.

Fred

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Hi Vlad.

Maybe we should clarify if the deadline is in 6 weeks or June 4, as they do not align.

Fred
    This is what happens when you do things in the evening when you are tired. Deadline is May 4th, 2024.

For all your appalling behaviour regarding the 2025 NAYCC Vlad, I suppose I should thank you because the regulations have changed effective January 2024. I will forward the new regs to the Secretary. Obviously our original bid is off the table.

Instead of $20USD per player to CCA, the number is now $40USD for official players and $60USD for additional players.

Your insistence on a detailed budget is also out of place. There is nothing in the CCA regulations about the need for a budget. The hosting obligations are somewhere between 39 and 75 people, for 5-6 days. Such is the risk which organizers must accept to stage this tournament. This risk is heightened because the USCF charged their players a $200USD admin fee to attend the NAYCC in Mexico 2023 (not so for Calgary) and likewise for the World Schools in Peru. Likely this practice will persist in 2025. Not sure what that will did to future demand.

Meanwhile, the CFC's 20% cut of the CCA head tax already stands to increase by almost 300% in light of their new fees. The implication that organizers must be held to account for unfairly enriching themselves is, um, a little rich.

I want to trust you and your team but history keeps teaching me otherwise. Your handling of bids in general is beyond inadequate. Good luck.

One small correction. While the CCA reg's do not mention a budget, I just got a copy of their bid form which does call for an approximate one, which I take to mean less than detailed. Given the variability of the hosting obligations I don't know what this would even look like, but it is on their form.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    For all your appalling behaviour regarding the 2025 NAYCC Vlad, I suppose I should thank you because the regulations have changed effective January 2024. I will forward the new regs to the Secretary. Obviously our original bid is off the table.
    From your point of view my behaviour is appalling because I declined to favour your bid above all others and allow you to submit a bid without any other bidders. If that is appalling then we have a different definition for the word. Interesting that you posted this while I was busy with the Candidates tournaments and you knew I would be too busy to see this.

Instead of $20USD per player to CCA, the number is now $40USD for official players and $60USD for additional players.
    We await CCA informing us instead of some random Canadian of any changes in the regulations which were not posted on their website as late as two weeks ago.

Your insistence on a detailed budget is also out of place. There is nothing in the CCA regulations about the need for a budget.
    That is a CFC requirement and not a CCA requirement. It is also a requirement from most reputable sporting organizations. If you are incapable of producing such a budget, I suggest that you ask your local sport tourism bureau as they are more than capable of producing one for you.

The hosting obligations are somewhere between 39 and 75 people, for 5-6 days. Such is the risk which organizers must accept to stage this tournament. This risk is heightened because the USCF charged their players a $200USD admin fee to attend the NAYCC in Mexico 2023 (not so for Calgary) and likewise for the World Schools in Peru. Likely this practice will persist in 2025. Not sure what that will did to future demand.
    [Meanwhile, the CFC's 20% cut of the CCA head tax already stands to increase by almost 300% in light of their new fees.
    What is your connection to the CCA and why are they telling you this, and not the relevant CFC officials?

The implication that organizers must be held to account for unfairly enriching themselves is, um, a little rich.
    "The wicked flee where no man pursueth."

I want to trust you and your team but history keeps teaching me otherwise. Your handling of bids in general is beyond inadequate. Good luck.
    We will be fine.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-07-2024 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We await CCA informing us instead of some random Canadian of any changes in the regulations which were not posted on their website as late as two weeks ago.

Did anyone from the CFC participated in the General Assembly of the CCA of 2023? https://fideamerica.net/site/en/llam...iciembre-2023/
    With what happened there https://fideamerica.net/site/en/asam...-america-2023/

3. Actualización de Regulaciones Financieras y de Torneos: Se aprobó la actualización de las Regulaciones Financieras y de Torneos, fortaleciendo el marco que guía las actividades de FIDE América.
    google translation:
    "3. Update of Financial and Tournament Regulations: The update of the Financial and Tournament Regulations was approved, strengthening the framework that guides the activities of FIDE America."

Seems almost four months passed...

The website holds only a five-year-old regulations. https://fideamerica.net/site/en/regu...s-financieras/
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    From your point of view my behaviour is appalling because I declined to favour your bid above all others and allow you to submit a bid without any other bidders. If that is appalling then we have a different definition for the word. Interesting that you posted this while I was busy with the Candidates tournaments and you knew I would be too busy to see this.
    Nice try Kreskin. Your behaviour is appalling because even after discussing (and seemingly approving) the proprietary elements of our bid, you then engaged another bidder, and then decided you should enter a bid yourself. And why would a random Canadian know or care about your personal schedule? And why on earth would I go on record with a lie? Grow up!

The info I provided about the USCF's $200USD surcharge did not come from CCA, rather from the USCF's assorted web pages. I thought I as doing all bidders a service by sharing what I learned. The info about hosting obligations came from you. I just put into context.

All snark aside Vlad - if the CFC wants to do this event in house, then don't accept bids. If you want a contribution to the Youth Fund, specify it to all bidders.

Thanks Egis - you did this the hard way! I am often frustrated by the CCA website so I just wrote to Secretary Celi and asked for the latest regs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Nice try Kreskin. Your behaviour is appalling because even after discussing (and seemingly approving) the proprietary elements of our bid, you then engaged another bidder, and then decided you should enter a bid yourself. And why would a random Canadian know or care about your personal schedule? And why on earth would I go on record with a lie? Grow up!

The info I provided about the USCF's $200USD surcharge did not come from CCA, rather from the USCF's assorted web pages. I thought I as doing all bidders a service by sharing what I learned. The info about hosting obligations came from you. I just put into context.

All snark aside Vlad - if the CFC wants to do this event in house, then don't accept bids. If you want a contribution to the Youth Fund, specify it to all bidders.
    If someone submits a bid that is so good that we don't need to consider organizing it ourselves then we would not consider organizing it ourselves. In fact, I believe that has happened.

From now on, please do not send me any bid associated with you. Do not ask me about your bids. Do not ask me for my advice. You seem to misconstrue advice as an endorsement. Everyone else can continue to ask for my advice. I spoke to at least ten individuals about NAYCC 2025 before I spoke to you and I spoke to several individuals after you. Send your bids to Lyle Craver. If you continue to mischaracterize our emails then I will publish all of them. I already published the one original one which clearly outlined my position, which has not changed.

I did not even talk once to the group that submitted the best bid so far from my perspective unless you count the multiple contacts with their tourism bureau.

There are three bids to date including yours which has since been withdrawn. From my perspective yours was the third best. Congrats on your bronze medal.

On Sep 20, 2023, at 6:50 PM, Vladimir Drkulec wrote:

Hi Hal,

Christina and I had a long talk about youth matters this late morning to early afternoon. Of course, this predated your email. We have been discussing doing NAYCC internally for quite some time as a way to generate funds for the CFC youth fund in order to fund projects like youth training and sending players to the array of new tournaments from FIDE is becoming impossible to keep track of.
    [sic]

In 2022, the only place that we could organize NAYCC was in Alberta because of existing covid regulations.

I am not sure what the latest CCA regulations for this tournament are. Probably something like $20 US per player to CCA (FIDE America). Entry fees seem to be in the $225 range. At 400 players that is $90,000 gross revenue and more if you take into account late fees and sponsorship. Costs for official players have to be taken into account but even at $100 entry fee, this was a profitable tournament for the organizers. I think it is not unreasonable to ask for some substantial donation to the youth fund as this tournament could garner 500 or more entries in the current environment.

I am not even aware of the North American Schools Chess Championship existing as an event. Are you asking for the Canadian Schools Chess Championship? Again for this it looks like something which requires a similar setup as CYCC. I believe that our youth budget this year was in the $50,000 range so far, so we don't have the ability to absorb too much in the way of extra expenses though to be fair we are not always going to send three teams to the U16 Olympiad.

I do have some interest from other communities in NAYCC but we need a very good bid to discourage us from organizing it ourselves. I think it needs to be in Ontario.

I am going to a sport hosting event in Ottawa in a few weeks and the NAYCC is one carrot that we are dangling.

We are not going to award this event in the next month. You are asking for an option to present a bid and we are happy to give you that option. It does need to be a very good bid from the point of view of the CFC.

Vlad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast