Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A-3 Bids for National Events

Hybrid View

Default 5A-3 Bids for National Events

This thread is for presentation of bids for national events. Please note that bids for national events are normally decided at the Annual meeting by the full Assembly.

This forum DOES allow attachment of documents in addition to written text here. Anyone interested in doing so should check with the president if they need assistance posting their attachments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    This thread is for presentation of bids for national events. Please note that bids for national events are normally decided at the Annual meeting by the full Assembly.

This forum DOES allow attachment of documents in addition to written text here. Anyone interested in doing so should check with the president if they need assistance posting their attachments.
    The forum is very limited in what attachments can be posted so we will likely have to do what we did before and have Don Parakin set up a link to the files on the CFC website.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    ... have Don Parakin set up a link to the files on the CFC website.
    Done. See LINK. This has my current (mis)understanding of the status of CFC championships for 2024/25/26. There's currently no active bidding that I'm aware of so there's no bid files to view. This is a public page. When bidding happens, the bid details will appear on a page intended for VMs only (like at the last AGM).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Done. See LINK. This has my current (mis)understanding of the status of CFC championships for 2024/25/26. There's currently no active bidding that I'm aware of so there's no bid files to view. This is a public page. When bidding happens, the bid details will appear on a page intended for VMs only (like at the last AGM).
    We are working on bids for NAYCC maybe 3 or 4 bids and Canadian Seniors two bids I think. We need bidders to submit budgets with their bids especially the ones that go outside (need to be approved by FIDE America for example).

I also wish people would work with Tourism bureaus as this can often lead to some significant funds if they are tournaments that generate hotel room stays.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-17-2024 at 10:52 PM.

Question 2024 Canadian Juniors Championship

Wasn't 2024 Canadian Juniors Championship awarded to Excelsior Chess Club?
    Please see: https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/our-to...adian-juniors/
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Wasn't 2024 Canadian Juniors Championship awarded to Excelsior Chess Club?
    Please see: https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/our-to...adian-juniors/
    Yes it was.

Ooops! 2024 Junior is now on the LIST.

Thank you, Don!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We are working on bids for NAYCC maybe 3 or 4 bids and Canadian Seniors two bids I think. We need bidders to submit budgets with their bids especially the ones that go outside (need to be approved by FIDE America for example).

I also wish people would work with Tourism bureaus as this can often lead to some significant funds if they are tournaments that generate hotel room stays.
    Dear President, Executives, and Voting Members,
    I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to address some important inquiries regarding the evaluation process for the NAYCC bids, as well as the anticipated timeline for the announcement of the outcome.
    I am delighted to learn the encouraging news that multiple bids have been submitted for the NAYCC. This level of interest underscores the significance of the event and the enthusiasm within our community. My sincere appreciation extends to all parties involved.

As a member of the Guelph bid team, alongside esteemed colleagues Hal Bond and Patrick McDonald, I am deeply invested in ensuring a transparent and equitable evaluation process. Following discussions with Vlad and other stakeholders, our bid was formally submitted in mid-February 2024.
    In light of our collective commitment to fairness, I seek clarification on the decision-making framework. Specifically, I am interested in understanding whether the outcome will be determined by the executive team, the Voting Members, or an ad hoc committee established independently of the bidding organizers. Clarity on this matter is crucial for upholding the integrity of the selection process and ensuring that all parties involved are treated with the utmost fairness and respect.

Furthermore, I kindly request information regarding the anticipated timeline for announcing the outcome. Understanding when we can expect a decision will enable all stakeholders to plan accordingly and maintain transparency throughout the process.
    I humbly request a legitimate, persuasive, and fair explanation of the decision-making structure and timeline for announcing the outcome of the NAYCC bid evaluation process.
    Thank you, and I eagerly await your response.
    Sincerely,
    Mahmud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Dear President, Executives, and Voting Members,
    I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to address some important inquiries regarding the evaluation process for the NAYCC bids, as well as the anticipated timeline for the announcement of the outcome.
    I am delighted to learn the encouraging news that multiple bids have been submitted for the NAYCC. This level of interest underscores the significance of the event and the enthusiasm within our community. My sincere appreciation extends to all parties involved.

As a member of the Guelph bid team, alongside esteemed colleagues Hal Bond and Patrick McDonald, I am deeply invested in ensuring a transparent and equitable evaluation process. Following discussions with Vlad and other stakeholders, our bid was formally submitted in mid-February 2024.
    In light of our collective commitment to fairness, I seek clarification on the decision-making framework. Specifically, I am interested in understanding whether the outcome will be determined by the executive team, the Voting Members, or an ad hoc committee established independently of the bidding organizers. Clarity on this matter is crucial for upholding the integrity of the selection process and ensuring that all parties involved are treated with the utmost fairness and respect.

Furthermore, I kindly request information regarding the anticipated timeline for announcing the outcome. Understanding when we can expect a decision will enable all stakeholders to plan accordingly and maintain transparency throughout the process.
    I humbly request a legitimate, persuasive, and fair explanation of the decision-making structure and timeline for announcing the outcome of the NAYCC bid evaluation process.
    Thank you, and I eagerly await your response.
    Sincerely,
    Mahmud
    On September 20th, 2023 your group asked for a 30 day option to prepare a bid for NAYCC. There was a flurry of emails and after several months I asked where the bid was. In the very first email of September 20th I said that Christina Tao and I were considering organizing the NAYCC for the benefit of the CFC youth fund and later we thought about doing something for women and girls. We were both very busy so we would welcome other bids. I think even earlier there was a request to allow a Guelph bid to go directly to FIDE America for NAYCC and a new North American Schools championship. The latter tournament which was higher risk because it was new was dropped. I indicated that many people would be mad at me if we did not give everyone that had talked to me about NAYCC an opportunity to prepare a bid.

I did not see the first form of your "draft bid" which was sent to Christina Tao, our youth coordinator on January 28th. She told you, apparently, that the entry fees were too high. A second bid was received February 24th which was also sent to me. The entry fees were better but still on the high side. There was no budget attached. I think we need to see a budget. February 24th was a time when I was quite focused on saving the Candidates tournament so I did not have any time to deal with many side issues as every moment was precious.

The CMA indicated that they were going to bid as well. They did. Their first entry fees were a bit high. We told them their fees were high. They pointed to the CYCC fees in Laval. I pointed out that the CYCC fees included $150 for the youth fund which they had not realized. They came back with some better fees and said that they would present us with a budget.

We decided to explore other options. There may be bids from as many as four other communities who I have talked to about the tournament and at least one other that Christina has talked to. The thing that puzzles me is that the CCA which sanctions the tournament presents a certain structure for the tournament which we followed in 2016 in Windsor but everyone seems to have departed from to some extent. We will be talking to the CCA about the bid that we think is the best.

I am a bit frustrated with a number of bids for junior events where the fees seem to be going higher and higher especially in cases where there are no prizes beyond trophies. For national events, and international events, I think there need to be budgets. When there are no budgets, there can be unpleasant surprises and we get complaints.

The evaluation process for any bids will include the interests of the CFC and CFC youth chess, the players and the parents of the players, as well as the organizers and how well the bids align with the CCA (FIDE America) rules for the tournament. We don't want chess to be something that only rich people can afford to play. I would hope that we see all bids within a month or so. If a tournament generates very large profits there should be some benefit to the CFC youth fund and the bids so far have presented some benefit to the youth fund. The question is whether it is proportional to being given the right to host it. Realize that the executive have a fiduciary duty to the CFC and its interests so the winning bid will be the one that is in the best interests of the CFC balancing all factors.

Realize as well that whichever bid we decide is best still has to be approved by FIDE America or CCA.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-20-2024 at 01:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast