Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5A-2 Discussion items - Suspension of player Francesco Tarditi of France

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Technical question, would it be possible to actually change his rating indicator to read BAN or something like that, so it's instantly obvious? Or will that break the pairings software? Might be worth an experiment. This isn't the first, nor will it be the last suspension the CFC has to issue. Thankfully it doesn't come up TOO often.

What is the actual motion we are voting on?
    1. The CFC board of directors have suspended Francesco Tarditi of France for violations of safe play. Mr. Tarditi can request a hearing on the suspension if and when he returns to Canada and deals with the police investigation in a satisfactory manner.

With regard to the suspension of Francesco Tarditi of France:

Option A: I agree with the board decision in this matter
    Option B: I disagree with the board decision in this matter
    Option C: Abstain

There is no end date specified for the suspension. If we do not act on this we are complicit in allowing his behaviour to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Technical question, would it be possible to actually change his rating indicator to read BAN or something like that, so it's instantly obvious? ...
    Technical answer: In the current 25+ year old rating system the rating indicator field is of type integer so cannot (easily) indicate that the member is banned (and I personally do not want to touch any of this old code). A quick & dirty option is to simply append the string "(BANNED)" to the member's last name. Bob G could do this in JustGo. The way things are currently built an extract from JustGo is done to update the ratings system (an MS-Access app), then the ratings are run, then another extract from the ratings system is done to update chess.ca and tdlist.txt. So, the updated last name would flow through to being public (without any code changes). "(BANNED)" would appear on his own ratings page as well as on the crosstables of every CFC tournament he played in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Technical answer: In the current 25+ year old rating system the rating indicator field is of type integer so cannot (easily) indicate that the member is banned (and I personally do not want to touch any of this old code). A quick & dirty option is to simply append the string "(BANNED)" to the member's last name. Bob G could do this in JustGo. The way things are currently built an extract from JustGo is done to update the ratings system (an MS-Access app), then the ratings are run, then another extract from the ratings system is done to update chess.ca and tdlist.txt. So, the updated last name would flow through to being public (without any code changes). "(BANNED)" would appear on his own ratings page as well as on the crosstables of every CFC tournament he played in.
    I thought something like that would be the best way forward until we have new systems in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Thanks to Chris and Don for these ideas. I also fully support anything that can help-protect Organizers-Arbiters and of course tournament participants. Thumb-up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123