Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hitchlock View Post
The Respect in Sport programs look good, but seem more oriented towards juniors' safety and long-term development than issues that chess organizers will realistically face. I've taken a similar course in the past through Sail Canada on long-term athlete development and I still find the sports psychology aspect useful, so encouraging parents to take it could be a good idea.

In terms of addressing issues that are more likely to arise in chess, I really like the program offered by the Women in Chess Foundation which covers:
  • Understanding Trauma and Misconduct in Chess
  • Sexual Misconduct Awareness and Education
  • Physical and Emotional Misconduct
  • Power Imbalances and Misconduct
  • Safety Planning for Tournaments and Federations
  • Crisis Intervention during or after Tournaments
  • Advocacy Skills
  • Self-care and Burnout for Advocates

They run it as a one day workshop on Zoom and are happy to arrange for dedicated sessions for federations. They've expressed that they're happy to support the CFC as much as we need to get a Safe Play Framework in place, and they're a registered not-for-profit so they only ask for whatever donation you can afford for their workshops.

I think partnering with them to organize some workshops for Canadian organizers, arbiters and other interested people would be a good way to get the tools out there to recognize, prevent and respond to Safe Play issues. We could even discuss tailoring it to include the UCCMS and the Safe Play Framework we decide to adopt.
Thank you for this thoughtful reply to Chris' ideas.

I might have missed it, but have we considered yet the program being implemented by US Chess?