Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Default 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Fellow Assembly Members - please welcome our President Vladimir Drkulec

Blog Entries

Ladies and gentlemen, chess enthusiasts, and esteemed voting members of the Chess Federation of Canada,

As we gather today, I am honoured to address you with pride and gratitude. Our beloved game, a timeless pursuit that teaches us strategy, patience, and the art of graceful victory and defeat, has experienced an incredible surge of new acolytes. The vitality and growth we've witnessed is remarkable. This year alone, our membership has expanded by an impressive 20%, following last year's dizzying 60% increase. Such growth is a testament to the enduring appeal of chess and the hard work of our dedicated community. You can't help but be impressed by the depth of engagement and commitment within the chess community.

The journey we embarked upon this year has been akin to a thrilling chess game – unpredictable, full of trials and moments of introspection but ultimately rewarding. We've negotiated these challenges, navigated through tumultuous times, facing crises that emerged unexpectedly from various directions and yet, like seasoned chess players, each obstacle, each hurdle has only served to make us more resilient and stronger as a community.

Our most recent adversity unfolded ahead of the prestigious 2024 FIDE Candidates and Women's Candidates tournaments. The very fabric of our federation was tested when we faced the imminent loss of the honour of hosting these events, all due to being lost in the dreaded deep dark woods of visa processing delays. Every problem bears a gift in that it challenges you to find the solution, to first find all the moves that might be relevant and then put them together in the right sequence to come to the startling truth. In true chess spirit of mastery, we analyzed the position, developed a strategy and executed a series of calculated moves which culminated in a victory from what appeared at first glance to be a hopeless position. FIDE and the CFC launched a public campaign that not only brought the issue to light but also rallied the support of Canadians from coast to coast. Our collective voice resonated, and the press and the Canadian government took notice.

This victory is not just for the CFC; it's a victory for every Canadian who believes in the spirit of chess. It's a celebration of our shared values and the power of our community. As we stand on the threshold of these exciting tournaments, let's take a moment to acknowledge our achievements and the bright future that lies ahead. Let us not only celebrate our triumphs but also learn from our defeats and reaffirm our commitment to advancing the noble cause of chess. Let us continue to inspire others to join our ranks, fostering a community built on camaraderie, sportsmanship, and intellectual pursuit. The dilemmas we face may be unpredictable, the board ever-changing, yet our commitment to chess and our community remains unwavering. Together, let us continue to make every move count and advance our federation towards our goals, fostering a love for the game, and inspiring others to join our ranks. Here's to the victories past, present, and future, and to the enduring spirit of chess that unites us all.

Thank you, and may your future moves be strategic and lead to continued success. Let us begin our meeting.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-16-2024 at 02:20 AM.

It is a great victory for the Canadian chess, and in my weekly program on PODTV.TV last week we've celebrated a great outcome! Thanks to you and your team!

Blog Entries

Thank you Sasha. Is there a link where we can watch your program?

Yes, it is YouTube link different each week. Would you like to take a part for the upcoming show? The recording is at noon on Thursday. I'll send you a link.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Yes, it is YouTube link different each week. Would you like to take a part for the upcoming show? The recording is at noon on Thursday. I'll send you a link.
    Sure. I enjoyed it the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    So is there a standard Youtube link or should we just search on your name? I would think with both the Canadian Championship AND the Candidates it will be extra interesting these next few weeks in particular!