Thread: FIDE post on X formerly twitter

Blog Entries

Default FIDE post on X formerly twitter

Urgent visa appeal to the Canadian Government regarding the FIDE Candidates Tournament

The most prestigious tournament in the chess world, the FIDE Candidates, which will determine the challengers for the World Champion title in both the Open and Women’s Categories, is set to take place from April 3 – 22 in Toronto, Canada. This is the first time in the history of chess that the most prestigious tournament is due to be hosted in Canada, recognizing the country’s growing role in the chess world. Regrettably, players from various countries worldwide, who submitted their visa applications few months ago, have not yet received any updates on their status. With only a month remaining till the FIDE Candidates Tournament, there are grave concerns about the timely arrival of the players to Toronto.

Recognizing the popularity of the game in the country, and its growing role in the chess world, we kindly ask the Canadian Government for support in urgently addressing this matter. Ensuring the safe and timely arrival of players is crucial for the success and integrity of the FIDE Candidates Tournament and for promoting Canada as a host of the most important chess tournament of the year, which will be followed by millions of spectators worldwide.
    @CitImmCanada

@MarcMillerVM

Blog Entries

FIDE has informed the CFC and members of the local organizing committee that they will need to pull the Candidates tournament from Toronto if we are not able to make substantial progress on providing the players and some key FIDE organizers visas by Friday, March 8, 2024. Pulling the tournament will present a logistical nightmare for FIDE and the preference is that the event take place in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. You can't have a Candidates tournament without the Candidates (players). So far of the officials only Vishy Anand the former world champion has been approved for a visa. On the players side only Humpy Koneru of India has been approved. It should be noted that none of the players or officials have been refused entry to date.

CFC Board of Directors member Patricia Gamliel has been doing heroic work on this file. Gary Gladstone has also been instrumental in using his contacts to get this before some of the decision-makers in the Canadian government.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-02-2024 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

The Candidates problem just got a little more manageable as I am told the multiple applicants are getting their visas. We still have ten left on the list but I am much more optimistic today than I was when I went to sleep last night around 2 am.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-04-2024 at 10:35 PM.

Blog Entries

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/che...67ab2ffdb.html

Not often that I am the lead ahead of well beloved former world champion Vishy Anand. I had to pay $1 to read the article and subscribe for the month.

Blog Entries

We are down to two critical visas and five visas for additional personnel for a total of seven left on our list.