Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIDE pins for 14 Canadians

Thumbs up FIDE pins for 14 Canadians

Hello there, I was at the FIDE Office today, and they gave me "title" pins for 14 Canadians to bring home:

CM: Doknjas-Soberov-Lin-Yang
    FA: Ferreira-Tsypin
    FM: Keleberda-Tanaka-Xu-Rusonik-Mendes
    IA: Shah
    IM: Gedajlovic
    WFM: Chen

For those in the Ottawa area, I should be at the RA club on Thursday the 22nd.
    For those in the Toronto area, I should be at Pub Chess on Wednesday the 28th.
    Then I will deliver all remaining pins to CFC Executive / CFC Office to distribute.

Congratulations to all of you, best regards, Aris.

There's some cold/flu in our household, so I may not make it to the RA tomorrow.
    I'm feeling fine so far, but if you're only coming for a pin, check here beforehand.
    Thanks, best, Aris.

My regrets, but I'm coming down with something, so I won't be at the RA tonight.
    And I don't know yet whether I'll be at the RA next Thursday night, February 29th.
    Best, Aris.

I have since provided the remaining pins to Omar Shah, who will be the Chief Arbiter at the Zonal+ tournament at Hart House over the Easter long weekend.

Please go see him then. Afterwards, we will probably provide anything left over to the CFC Office.

Are these pins available elsewhere?

I know I sure didn't get one when I got my IA some 20 years ago (though I did get a very nice diploma which is hanging on my wall opposite my academic diplomas and the wall clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Are these pins available elsewhere?

I know I sure didn't get one when I got my IA some 20 years ago (though I did get a very nice diploma which is hanging on my wall opposite my academic diplomas and the wall clock.
    Hi Lyle, all I was given was the ones I that listed in my opening post.
    It seems I was just "lucky" to be in the building for these latest ones.

P.S. thanks for your help with the visas-for-the-Candidates initiatives!

I never got one of those when I got my IA back in 2003 so next time you're expecting these if you could order an extra one for me I'd be obliged.

If there's a cost just let me know and we'll make it happen. Thanks, Lyle

Does anyone know when Shawn will officially get his GM title? He earned is last norm in early November, which was more than 4 months ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Corrie View Post
    Does anyone know when Shawn will officially get his GM title? He earned is last norm in early November, which was more than 4 months ago.
    On the FIDE website it says 2024 First FIDE Council and the decision is open. He will likely get it at the first FIDE Council meeting of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    On the FIDE website it says 2024 First FIDE Council and the decision is open. He will likely get it at the first FIDE Council meeting of the year.
    Correct. Just more details.

IM and GM (WIM and WGM as well) non-direct titles (3 norms + rating) needs to be approved on FIDE congress, which happens twice a year. Shawn made his last GM norm just after the previous FIDE congress (fall 2023). I sent all paperwork to FIDE / titles and we just wait for the next FIDE congress to approve the application.

I asked recently about the schedule for this Congress - it was not known yet. My prediction - late April or May.

Another pending application - IM title for Anthony Atanasov.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast