Thread: Dvorkovich forever

Default Dvorkovich forever

Proposal, initiated by some small American federations, to cancel terms limit for FIDE president and allow to current president to run forever, got needed majority of votes. 108-27 in favor of cancel the limit. 66% were needed as it was a constitutional change.

Truly yours voted against this proposal. Pretty disappointed result for me, my opinion about current FIDE leadership dropped significantly.

Another result for this Congress. Abu-Dhabi got more votes than Genoa to host Olympiad-2028 (after Budapest-2024 and Tashkent-2026). 96-60 in favor of UAE.

Sounds like Putin Forever. Both Putin and Lukashenko changed the constitution to stay in power for a very long time (Putin can be president till 2036 and Lukashenko till 2035).

My problem is not with cancelation of the limit itself. After all, many previous FIDE presidents ruled more than 8 years, including first 2 presidents from truly democratic countries (Rueb from Netherlands and Rogard from Sweden).

During his first campaign in 2018 (Batumi, Georgia) Dvorkovich made a promise to run only for 1 or 2 terms and later initiated the change to FIDE rules to limit the number of terms. Now, he just broke his promises which is not a good thing for everyone, even for politician.