Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10. Bids for 2023 and 2024 Events and beyond

[QUOTE=Marc Moisan;45665]The only thing I found is what to consider in evaluating bids (in section 6):
    https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/rules/cf...portant-events

Thank you Marc.
    Paper chess boards and clock flags; I wonder if this section needs a refresh. 8^)

The particular questions being asked about time lines, bid submissions, etc. might be added to this document.
    Don Hack
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hack View Post
    The particular questions being asked about time lines, bid submissions, etc. might be added to this document.
    It wouldn't hurt to have deadlines for bid submissions, especially if there is to be multiple bidders.

Cheers,

Marc Moisan, CD, PLog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moisan View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to have deadlines for bid submissions, especially if there is to be multiple bidders.

Cheers,

Marc Moisan, CD, PLog
    There are deadlines but they are no longer relevant as we move to having bids come in earlier and earlier. Having the 2024 AGM as the deadline for 2025 just increases the entropy to the point that we can no longer count on the Canadian Open and other events being organized.

A tough decision. I am desperately looking for some unbiased criteria on which to decide. One criteria I thought might be useful is to see if any region has under- or over-hosted the CO/CYCC relative to their share of the membership population. The results, unfortunately, do not point strongly in any direction. I'm posting the results here in case any other VM is curious if this could be a deciding factor. I'll have to look for other criteria

(WRONG: See correction below in this POST)
    Result: In the 25 years prior to 2025, the West hosted 30.4% with 30.8% of members; Central hosted 65.2% with 63.6% members; and East hosted 4.4% with 5.6% of members. No region's hosting vs members differs by greater than 2% so there is no significant imbalance that needs correcting.

Method: I grouped provinces into 3 regions to avoid unfair fragmentation. I used the latest CFC membership statistics from May, 2023 as well as an estimate of 1,100 FQE members (CFC & FQE members can play in each other's tournaments so I considered FQE part of the same chess playing community).

Raw data (with thanks to Bob Gillanders): 2000 - Edmonton, AB; 2001 - Sackville, NB; 2002 - Montreal, QC; 2003 - Kapuskasing, ON; 2004 - Kapuskasing, ON; 2005 - Edmonton, AB; 2006 - Kitchener, ON; 2007 - Ottawa, ON; 2008 - Montreal, QC; 2009 - Edmonton, AB; 2010 - Toronto, ON; 2011 - Toronto, ON; 2012 - Victoria, BC; 2013 - Ottawa, ON; 2014 - Montreal, QC; 2015 - Windsor, ON (CYCC Only); 2016 - Windsor, ON; 2017 - Sault Ste Marie, ON; 2018 - Quebec City, QC; 2019 - Regina, SK; 2020 - (none); 2021 - (none); 2022 - Hamilton, ON; 2023 - Calgary, AB; 2024 - Montreal, QC.
    Last edited by Don Parakin; 09-11-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Don for a very interesting post!

Made me realize I had some (mistaken) subjective assumptions.

My first pass at suggested bid evaluation in order of importance.

1) Can the bidder deliver?
    Are they financially sound and have experience of hosting such an event?

2) Is the proposal going to attract sufficient attendance to merit being a “National" event?
    Easy to attend, reasonable accommodation, sufficient site capacity, prize funds, etc.

3) Is it a sound chess environment?
    Environmental (e.g., space, lighting, acceptable tables/chairs, air flow, temperature, etc.), officials, equipment, appropriate time controls, skittles room, etc.

4) Bells and whistles
    Interesting/challenging/entertaining chess side events & non-chess attractions (i.e., tourism)
    Don Hack
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hack View Post
    My first pass at suggested bid evaluation in order of importance.

1) Can the bidder deliver?
    Are they financially sound and have experience of hosting such an event?

2) Is the proposal going to attract sufficient attendance to merit being a “National" event?
    Easy to attend, reasonable accommodation, sufficient site capacity, prize funds, etc.

3) Is it a sound chess environment?
    Environmental (e.g., space, lighting, acceptable tables/chairs, air flow, temperature, etc.), officials, equipment, appropriate time controls, skittles room, etc.

4) Bells and whistles
    Interesting/challenging/entertaining chess side events & non-chess attractions (i.e., tourism)
    These are great points, Don, I agree with those criteria completely. But I also believe that national events should be hosted in different region of the country from time to time. Which is why I also like the stats provided by Don Parakin, quite informative.

Cheers,

Marc Moisan, CD, PLog

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Result: In the 25 years prior to 2025, the West hosted 30.4% with 30.8% of members; Central hosted 65.2% with 63.6% members; and East hosted 4.4% with 5.6% of members. No region's hosting vs members differs by greater than 2% so there is no significant imbalance that needs correcting.
    With an extremely red face, I must post this correction. Looking at my spreadsheet, I noticed I had 2008 Montreal under the West's column. This changes the numbers for West & Central ...

(Corrected) Result: In the 25 years prior to 2025, the West hosted 26.1% with 30.8% of members; Central hosted 69.6% with 63.6% members; and East hosted 4.4% with 5.6% of members.

So, the West has under-hosted by 4.7 points and Central has over-hosted by 6.0%. By this (imperfect) criteria, the West has a case that it is their turn.

As others have pointed out, this should not be the only criteria. There are some basic criteria that should be used to decide if a bid even makes the "short list". And some other intangible criteria should be considered too. This is just one input.

EDIT: At this LINK, anyone can re-check my calculations. Seems my calculating ability in spreadsheets has deteriorated as much as it has in chess.
    Last edited by Don Parakin; 09-11-2023 at 05:07 PM.

I have received a bid from Hal Bond concerning Guelph's 2025 bid and have forwarded it to Vlad and the Business Office for posting here as I do not have direct access to the CFC server.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I have received a bid from Hal Bond ...
    Guelph's bid and the other bids are now available at: https://www-files.chess.ca/cfc/bids/2025-co-cycc/

(If you still see "coming soon" for Guelph, refresh your browser cache with Ctrl+R)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast