Thread: 1. Agenda and Opening Comments of Chair

Blog Entries

Default 1. Agenda and Opening Comments of Chair

Sunday September 10, 2023 to Sunday September 17, 2023
    CFC AGM Incoming Meeting Agenda

Chess Federation of Canada - Annual General Meeting - Incoming Voting Members
    (Note to voting members: all votes open at 9pm ET, all votes and nominations close at 6pm ET, the meeting ends at 9 pm ET on Sunday September 18th)

Part 1 - Agenda and Sign-in
    1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair
    2. voting member Sign-in

Part 2 - Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories
    3. Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories (nominations close on day 3, if elections are required this will take place on days 4-5)

Part 3 - Elections of Federation Executive Members, Officers and other positions

4. Nomination of Candidates for Election (nominations close at 6pm ET - day 3, elections continue through 6pm ET - day 7)

DIRECTORS
    4.1 President
    4.2 Vice-President
    4.3 Secretary
    4.4 Treasurer
    4.5 Youth Coordinator
    4.6 FIDE Representative
    4.7 Director at Large
    4.8 Director at Large

OFFICERS
    4.8 Rating Auditor
    4.9 Women's Chess Coordinator

5.A Elections of the above positions

5.B Election of Directors and Officers

6. Appointment of CFC Committee members: (nominations close at 6pm ET - day 3, elections for contested positions continue through 6pm ET - day 7)

* 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term:
    * 6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term:
    * 6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee:
    * 6.4 National Appeals Committee:

7. Election of CFC Committee members (see sections 4.1 - 4.11 - in sections 4.1 - 6.4 all positions where an election is being held is marked with *)

8.Discussion of agenda items

Voting on all items excluding voting members, Executive and Officers will begin on day 4 and continue to day 7 (Saturday)

10. Bids for 2022/2023 Events and beyond

10E Any other Bids/Business:
    11. Other Business
    12. New Agenda Items for discussion only.
    13. Adjournment & Closing Comments by Chair
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 09-09-2023 at 03:05 PM. Reason: adding bold to make easier reading

Blog Entries

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Welcome to the 2023 Annual General Meeting of the Incoming Voting Members of the Chess Federation of Canada. Your presence here today is a testament to your dedication to the CFC, and I want to express my heartfelt gratitude for your active participation and volunteerism.

The strength of our organization lies in the collective efforts of passionate individuals like yourselves, serving as voting members, organizers, and elected officers. Your tireless commitment is the driving force behind the successes we have achieved and the progress we continue to make.

This year is especially significant, as we recently celebrated the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Chess Federation of Canada in 1872. Our rich history reminds us of the enduring legacy of chess in our nation and the profound impact it has had on countless lives over the years.

In reflecting on the challenges of the past year, we must acknowledge the resilience and determination displayed by our chess community. The COVID-19 pandemic tested our resolve, but I'm pleased to report that we have persevered. Signs of progress are now visible, as we've resumed hosting tournaments and witnessed a remarkable return to over-the-board play, with players flocking to the board in unprecedented numbers not seen in thirty or forty years.

The direction we take in the Chess Federation of Canada will be shaped by the decisions made in this meeting and the outcomes of the upcoming elections. It's an opportunity for us to chart a course forward, building on our proud history and the lessons learned during challenging times.

Let us officially open this meeting and proceed with the important discussions and elections that will shape the future of chess in Canada. Together, we will continue to strengthen and elevate the Chess Federation of Canada, ensuring that chess remains a vibrant and integral part of our national heritage for at least another century and a half.
    Thank you for your support, and let us embark on this year's journey with renewed determination and unity.

Let us begin the meeting.

REPORT ON NOMINATIONS

3. Election of Voting Members from non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories
    Quebec (3) Eric Bopala, Richard Berube, Diana Tsypina

(I will be updating their Forum permissions (including ability to vote) as soon as I post this document)

No nominations have been received from YT or NWT (we only have one member in each territory so this is not a surprise)

NOMINATIONS FOR CFC EXECUTIVE

4.1 Nominations for CFC President – Vladimir Drkulec – ACCLAIMED
    4.2 Nominations for CFC Vice-President – Olga Mushtaler – ACCLAIMED
    4.3 Nominations for CFC Secretary – Lyle Craver – ACCLAIMED
    4.4 Nominations for CFC Treasurer – Fred McKim – ACCLAIMED
    4.5 Nominations for CFC Youth Coordinator – Christina Tao – ACCLAIMED
    4.6 Nominations for CFC FIDE Representative – Victor Plotkin – ACCLAIMED
    4.7/4.8 Nominations for CFC Director at Large – Patricia Gamliel, Mark Dutton - ACCLAIMED
    4.9 Nominations for Women’s Chess Coordinator – Oksana Golubeva – ACCLAIMED

NOMINATIONS FOR CFC BOARDS AND COMMITTEES

6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustee (2023-2027) – Roger Langen – ACCLAIMED
    6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustee (2023-2024) – Micah Hughey – ACCLAIMED

Thus the 2023-2024 Trustees of the Chess Foundation of Canada will be
    2020-2024 Paul Leblanc
    2021-2025 Ian Findlay
    2022-2026 Hugh Brodie
    2023-2027 Roger Langen
    2023-2024 Micah Hughey

6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee – Felix Dumont, Michael Lo, Christina Tao – ACCLAIMED

6.4 National Appeals Committee – Ilia Bluvshtein is the only candidate nominated for what is normally a 5 person committee

I have asked our President for direction (and have made my recommendation to him)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    6.4 National Appeals Committee – Ilia Bluvshtein is the only candidate nominated for what is normally a 5 person committee
    I am willing to step in if needed, I felt that those position are more appropriate to IA and FA, and I am just an NA, but those position are in my opinion too important to leave vacant. So I would be willing to be involved.

Cheers,

Marc Moisan, CD, PLog

Blog Entries

We will likely fill out the roster with some IAs but it is not a requirement to serve. Thank you for stepping up, Marc.

RESULTS OF VOTING

For the 2025 CYCC and Canadian Open:

Surrey BC Van City Juniors to Masters (26) Alina Calota Brandon Zhu Christina Tao David Ludwig Diana Tsypina Don Hack Don Parakin Fred McKim ian findlay Jason Manley Lyle Craver Marc Moisan Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Murray Chu Paul Leblanc Richard Bowes Ryan Leong Sean Wu Tyler Sanderson Umang Banatwala Victor Plotkin Victor Zheng Victoria Doknjas Vlad Rekhson Vladimir Drkulec

Surrey BC Van City Juniors to Masters(9) et al Anthony Boron Brian Clarke Egidijus Zeromskis Frank Lee Jeremy Clark Mahmud Hassain Olga Mushtaler Patrick McDonald Vladimir Semyonov

Burnaby BC Penny Chess Club: (3) Aris Marghetis Michael Lo pennypham

Abtain (2): Roger Langen Victor Itkin

Total Votes Cast: 40