Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequently Asked Questions

Default Frequently Asked Questions

Hello everyone. I have been meaning to do this for a very long time, but with so many questions, it was hard to get started.

So the only way is to take that first step. I'll keep adding questions as we go.

Question 1 - I am having trouble logging into my JustGo account. I get a message that username and password don't match. What do I do?

Answer - First, try using your CFC number as your username.

Question 2 - I am trying to reset my password by clicking on "forgot my password", but I don't receive the password reset email. I have tried several times, what do I do?

Answer - First, try using your CFC number as your username. If you recall your password, give it a try. If that doesn't work, we probably do not have your email address in the database. The program doesn't know where to send the password reset email. Contact the CFC office.

Question 3 - I have more than one CFC number, which one should I use?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.b0igo18u8jnl

Answer - Contact the CFC office. You are only supposed to have 1 number, but some duplicates have been made in error. The office will merge the accounts.

Question 4 - My name has some zzz's as a prefix. What is that about?

Answer - If your name appears as zzzJohn zzzSmith, this is a duplicate CFC number. You should not use it, find your correct CFC number.

Question 5 - I want to register for a FIDE rated event, how do I get a FIDE number?

Answer - If your first FIDE rated event will be in Canada, you don't need to do anything. When we submit the event to FIDE for rating, we will assign everyone who needs it a FIDE number. If your first FIDE event will be outside Canada, contact the CFC office.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 07-17-2023 at 01:31 PM.

As you may have noticed, Don Parakin our webmaster has begun work on a CFC members guide. He used my FAQ post as a starting point.
    I am going to continue randomly adding Q & A here, and Don will sort it out into a cohesive manual for members and organizers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.b0igo18u8jnl

Not much there yet, a work in process.

A couple more Q&A's to keep the ball rolling.

Question 6 - I joined the CFC thru the JustGo membership system, but I am not yet on the CFC website. Why is that?

Answer - The JustGo system and the website are not dynamically linked. There will be a lag until the JustGo is uploaded into the rating program and then uploaded to the website. This is normally done weekly on Wednesday evening or ASAP thereafter. Until then, you should have received a confirmation email from JustGo. Please use that as confirmation of membership until the website is updated.

Question 7 - Where are the results of completed tournaments?

Answer - On the CFC website, upper right corner, see Quick links section. Click on ratings, then scroll down for links to tournaments.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 07-18-2023 at 10:57 AM.

FAQ: my CFC membership does not have an expiry date? What does that mean?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

FAQ(?): Can I pay my CFC membership fee to a local organizer instead of the usual(?) way?

FAQ(?): Is there still an email CFC newsletter [coming out regularly]?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    FAQ: my CFC membership does not have an expiry date? What does that mean?
    Answer: If your expiry date is blank ( or -) it means you have created a CFC number only, but have not paid any membership dues (or tournament fees). Note to TD's, if you see a weird date like 1899-12-31 in the database for SwissSys, that is the software trying to interpret the blank expiry date.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    FAQ(?): Can I pay my CFC membership fee to a local organizer instead of the usual(?) way?

FAQ(?): Is there still an email CFC newsletter [coming out regularly]?
    We are hoping to encourage most members to use the JustGo membership system. In the long run, that is the most efficient method. But for now, some clubs and organizers do continue to collect CFC membership dues. But not all, so you should check with your club or organizer. Don't assume they will offer that service.

Editor John Upper did a newsletter a couple of months ago. But he feels not many members are reading it, so he isn't too motivated.

Question: How can we add / update the picture on the player's FIDE profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Anabelle Kovatcheva View Post
    Question: How can we add / update the picture on the player's FIDE profile?
    You can send the pic to the CFC office and we'll forward it to FIDE.
    But is there a way for players to upload it themselves? Maybe not.
    I can ask them.

Default what is your CFC #

Please include your CFC # on all correspondence with the CFC office.
    It makes life so much easier.

So you ask, when is it okay to not include your CFC #?

The answer is NEVER.

Please please please, even if I know you personally, just add your CFC number.
    if I need edit the files or look something up, it is easier to access databases with your CFC number, rather than your name.

Just get in the habit of it.

Question: In JustGo membership system, why am I only seeing the Life membership option? I want to buy an annual membership.

Answer: Your date of birth is missing in the database. JustGo doesn't know whether to offer you a Junior or Adult membership, so if offers neither. Please update your personal profile with date of birth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast