Thread: Polgar Blocked from Future Chess Playing

Default Polgar Blocked from Future Chess Playing

From the Susan Polgar blog today:

Can you still compete in chess tournaments?

SP: No. The Executive Board revoked our USCF memberships. They claimed that we can still play. But there is no such thing as being able to play rated chess and not being a member. They are just making things up as they go along and this is clearly against the USCF rules. In addition, I cannot play in world championships or Olympiads unless I am a member of a national federation. So basically what the Executive Board did is to destroy what is left of my playing career.

The mess seems to only get worse. And the day of reckoning in court is likely still a long way away. And then there is always the possibility of some type of settlement with a " gag clause " where neither side can reveal the terms of the settlement - wouldn't chess fans the world over love that one !

Bob

Blog Entries

That's pretty funny.

We should offer her CFC Membership.

Let's start the Federation transfer while we are at it.

I used to read the SP website, but I don't like her format, and I find the relentless self-promotion wearying. I've got a sneaking feeling that some of the aggro from USCF is payback for her incessant "I'm the queen" theme.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coleman
    I used to read the SP website, but I don't like her format, and I find the relentless self-promotion wearying. I've got a sneaking feeling that some of the aggro from USCF is payback for her incessant "I'm the queen" theme.
    I know what you mean, but that is the US of A. Shameless self-promotion is almost a requirement for any success there isn't it? It would be nice if it that was not the case, but it is hard to argue that she has not been a success with Texas Tech and with the girl's tournaments she organizes...

The whole USCF situation is so horrendous - it actually makes chess in Canada look pretty normal!? I guess we have some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    That's pretty funny.

We should offer her CFC Membership.
    That wouldn't be any much weirder than what happened in Canadian cycling a few years ago. Back in 2004 a Quebec cyclist of international renown, Geneviève Jeanson, was strongly suspected of doping. The Quebec federation felt she was dirty and refused to give her an international license to compete. Jeanson got around the Quebec federation by getting her license from Cycling USA by virtue of claiming a US address in Arizona (although her license code still indicated she was Canadian -- it's kind of complicated in cycling). In the end her clever sidestep didn't matter as she and her coach were caught trying to avoid testing at a major event. Jeanson eventually confessed to having taken EPO more or less continuously since age 16.

Not suggesting that it would be a good or bad thing but could Polgar get a CFC membership and thereby be eligible to compete in FIDE events?

Blog Entries

Well as a holder of an international title she would get free membership to the CFC. Actually becoming a CFC member to compete internationally (in an official FIDE event anyway) would require her to attain at least landed immigrant status if not full citizenship in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    Well as a holder of an international title she would get free membership to the CFC. Actually becoming a CFC member to compete internationally (in an official FIDE event anyway) would require her to attain at least landed immigrant status if not full citizenship in Canada.
    What's the Danny Kopec precedent from 1984? Was it that he was applying (intending to apply?) for landed immigrant status?

Still, it would be a bit of a stretch.

Or use a sister's mailing address...

I don't think it's that Susan or Paul want to play rated chess, it is more that they're being denied the possibility. It's not as if she might say on a Friday night "Hey, looks like a good tourney at the Legion". She plans her playing appearances a year in advance. So we won't see her suddenly playing for the US Virgin Islands or whatever--it'll be the thorn of "I can't play".
    JMS+ 1 p1.

Smile Susan Polgar

When we hosted the CYCC in Ottawa in 2007, Susan Polgar was our honorary chairperson and did a magnificent job. Great with the kids, the media and the sponsors. We all formed the view that she was a very classy lady.
    Self-promoter? Of course. In our celebrity obsessed world that goes without saying. But this was combined with great personal charm and, of course, a pretty good game of chess.
    Three cheers for Susan Polgar and may her critics be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ritchie
    When we hosted the CYCC in Ottawa in 2007, Susan Polgar was our honorary chairperson and did a magnificent job. Great with the kids, the media and the sponsors. We all formed the view that she was a very classy lady.
    Self-promoter? Of course. In our celebrity obsessed world that goes without saying. But this was combined with great personal charm and, of course, a pretty good game of chess.
    Three cheers for Susan Polgar and may her critics be damned.
    I would agree with that Gordon. I have not met her personally, but I have corresponded with her on a couple of matters and she has always been very professional and - above all - very upbeat about anything that promotes the game of chess. She clearly is working very hard in that regard and probably does more for chess in general than the USCF and CFC combined. Perhaps that is the source of her troubles: the USCF old boy establishment is not happy to be upstaged... Anyway, life goes on.