Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIDE seminar on chess and autism

Blog Entries

Default FIDE seminar on chess and autism

2021-03-01
    Seminar on chess and autism

The International Chess Federation, together with its Commission for People with Disabilities and the Social Commission, is pleased to announce the 1st FIDE Introductory Seminar "Chess for children with an autism spectrum disorder. How chess can help children with autism”.

The aim of this course is to inform Federations and FIDE Academies about opportunities for using chess in educating kids with this disorder, and share the existing experience. FIDE also wants to identify the interest of Federations, provide the necessary training of teachers, and support the development of related projects.

WHAT:
    At this seminar speakers will talk about the possibility of teaching chess to children with autism spectrum disorder covering the following topics:

• What is autism spectrum disorder
    • Teaching chess to someone with autism
    • Chess could become the bridge between two worlds
    • Role of social projects in National Chess Federations

WHEN:
    29 March 2021, from 14.00 to 16:00 CET

WHO:
    Moderator: Anastasia Sorokina, FIDE Vice-President

Speakers:
    Natalia Popova - WIM, FIDE Trainer, Trainer of the FIDE Chess Academy in Belarus, leader of the 2 years long project teaching chess to children with autistic spectrum disorder (Belarus).

Ala Mishchanka, Special needs educational assistant, more than 15 years of experience (Canada);

Līga Bērziņa, Head of the Autism Society of Latvia, developer of games for reduction of behavioural disorders (Latvia).

Anna Charchyan, Lilit Karapetyan (Armenia)

How to register:
    For registration, please send an email with the name and contact details (email, telephone number in Whatsapp) of the representative of the National Chess Federation or FIDE Academy to Anastasia Sorokina, FIDE Vice President: a.sorokina@fide.com.

We expect your registration by 22 March 2021. After registration, you will receive a link to the online seminar.

Hello Vlad, I would be interested in attending.

Would I apply to the CFC, or apply directly?

Thanks, Aris.

Blog Entries

I will ask the presenter.

Blog Entries

I am extremely interested in hearing any information that comes out of this! It's really a win-win, help kids with autism and help promote chess in schools!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I am extremely interested in hearing any information that comes out of this! It's really a win-win, help kids with autism and help promote chess in schools!
    I asked first lol

But seriously, I agree this is a tremendous subject! I've taught over 1500 children, and the fulfillment from working with such families has been immeasurable!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I asked first lol

But seriously, I agree this is a tremendous subject! I've taught over 1500 children, and the fulfillment from working with such families has been immeasurable!

Don't worry, the actual seminar time doesn't work for me... I just want to make sure I get the info later!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Don't worry, the actual seminar time doesn't work for me... I just want to make sure I get the info later!
    Chris, FYI, Vlad replied to me that he was dealing with other, more serious, stuff.

If I'm accepted to attend, I'll certainly pass on everything to people like you after.

Blog Entries

I would not say that it is serious stuff. Just stuff.

Certainly the subject matter of the seminar is much more serious.

Hi again, I would like to attend this seminar! Has the attendee decision been made?

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.

From today's email:

Dear Member Federations,

We would like to remind you that the deadline for the seminar Chess for children with an autism spectrum disorder. How chess can help children with autism” is next Monday, March 22nd.

So far, almost 100 participants from 39 different countries have registered to take part in this seminar. Below you can find the original announcement with the complete information about the purpose of the seminar, the lecturers, and the registration process.

2021-03-01
    Seminar on chess and autism

Dear FIDE Academies,

The International Chess Federation, together with its Commission for People with Disabilities and the Social Commission, is pleased to announce the 1st FIDE Introductory Seminar "Chess for children with an autism spectrum disorder. How chess can help children with autism”.

The aim of this course is to inform Federations and FIDE Academies about opportunities for using chess in educating kids with this disorder, and share the existing experience. FIDE also wants to identify the interest of Federations, provide the necessary training of teachers, and support the development of related projects.

WHAT:
    At this seminar speakers will talk about the possibility of teaching chess to children with autism spectrum disorder covering the following topics:

• What is autism spectrum disorder
    • Teaching chess to someone with autism
    • Chess could become the bridge between two worlds
    • Role of social projects in National Chess Federations

WHEN:
    29 March 2021, from 14.00 to 16:00 CET

WHO:
    Moderator: Anastasia Sorokina, FIDE Vice-President

Speakers:
    • Natalia Popova - WIM, FIDE Trainer, Trainer of the FIDE Chess Academy in Belarus, leader of the 2 years long project teaching chess to children with autistic spectrum disorder (Belarus).

• Ala Mishchanka, Special needs educational assistant, more than 15 years of experience (Canada);

• Līga Bērziņa, Head of the Autism Society of Latvia, developer of games for reduction of behavioural disorders (Latvia).

• Anna Charchyan, Lilit Karapetyan (Armenia)

How to register:
    For registration, please send an email with the name and contact details (email, telephone number in Whatsapp) of the representative of the National Chess Federation or FIDE Academy to Anastasia Sorokina, FIDE Vice President: a.sorokina@fide.com.

We expect your registration by 22 March 2021. After registration, you will receive a link to the online seminar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast