Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021 Part II

Blog Entries

Default CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021 Part II

Voting members please post in the meeting thread. http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/fo...pecial-Meeting

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...election/page5

Non-voting members please post here.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-21-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    I've been accused already by a few VMs of attacking fellows VMs etc. for disagreeing with me. I've never had any such intentions.
    In fact all this affair is hardly passing a smell test. Hal's resignation letter, an attempt to make Aris his heir, a race between Aris and Vadim, then Victor is getting there and Aris resigning...

However let me reiterate where I stand without attacking anybody:

Vadim's background in chess governance, including being a core member of the new FIDE management team since the 2018 FIDE elections, makes him the best candidate for this position. Only Vadim will be able to open the door wide for Canada into world chess and to bring exciting opportunities for Canadian players, coaches, and organizers. His campaign already has widespread support in all provinces and has been endorsed by well-respected chess professionals on the CFC site and in social media.

Victor Plotkin is in the right spot as the Men's team Captain, his skills set is good for that. Were he to be elected Canada delegate, he would become one of 195 mostly nameless delegates who stand in line with empty hands for four years in a row and are never given anything for their countries apart from an offer or two during the FIDE election year. Realistically, with Victor the delegate Canada will always be behind Kosovo, Burkina Faso or Venezuela in access to any FIDE help. Victor is on record in his electoral program stating that if he were elected, he would rely on Vadim Tsypin and would seek his help dealing with FIDE. Doesn't this tell you everything? Why have a second-hand article when you can own a genuine item?!

Vadim is already at the FIDE's highest table where all important issues - budgets, event bids, regulations - are decided upon. Shall not Canada literally leap at this chance and embrace Vadim as its most capable advocate (see: China WCCC letter, disabled player transfer, Para Olympiad, wild card in World Youth Online, all-expense-paid trip for young players to the Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup, etc.) ?!

I understand the tribalism in political process, and chess is no exception. And if there were two approximately equally qualified candidates either choice is OK. But today's situation is not the case...
    Our choice without tribalism issues is an easy one!

Sasha Starr, VM.
    You seem to have made your point Sasha! To voice a number
    of concerns, the Fide hierarchy is rather entrenched, and
    how would the other candidate make any headway at all when
    your candidate is already a part of the Fide Presidential team?

Despite all the dummies being floated out by the many-headed
    re. the 'advantages' of two Canadians at Fide, any Russian
    schoolboy will tell you nature abhors two centres of power!

It's not rocket science that everyone is being led up the
    garden path with the diversionary tactic that the woman
    arbiter upgrade was the reason for resignation - when it
    was rather the fact that the leapfrog over the immoveable
    rock into Fide's Aladdin's Cave had finally succeeded!

It would have been gracious of the other candidate if he could
    have stated his platform and cleanly addressed all these rumours
    and innuendos which are nauseating to say the least. Anyway
    thank you for making the time to try to clarify what you could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhwjmxNhbs

Default Hal's Comments 1

Hal Bond: Report to CFC Voting Members (February 2021)

The position of “FIDE Representative” in Canada is all about public service. Integrity is the most important quality for any candidate.
    I resigned because of the conduct of Vadim Tsypin, and President Vlad Drkulec’s response to that conduct, since 2018. The pattern of behaviour is of growing concern.

Here is a summary of events and relevant quotes from emails:

October 4th, 2018: I shall start with the election of FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich. Vadim is on his campaign team. I emailed a couple of positive notes to the CFC Executive from Batumi:
    “Last night I had a chance to speak briefly with Arkady Dvorkovich. I congratulated him on his solid victory and told him that Canada looks forward to working with him. He assured me that we will work together.”

and

“The 2019 NAYCC was awarded to Canada last night also in an extended meeting FIDE America.”

Later that day, Tsypin emailed a positive reply to the CFC Executive:

“First of all, thanks again to Hal for seeing through Canada's bid to completion, much appreciated.”
    So far, so good.

October 5th, 2018: After a series of challenging FIDE meetings right after the election, I emailed a pointed update to the CFC Executive. I was positive about Dvorkovich, but I had concerns too.

I soon discovered something very dark. This email to my Executive was distorted and shared with the FIDE President and his team. It depicts me as an anti-Semite who is against them. Despite FIDE’s lack of co-operation I found this forgery. I have underlined the alterations below.
    From my email:
    “Makro was a brilliant Chair during the remaining agenda matters and this was appreciated by all. His parting words were a tad sharp- urging AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against Putin, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new regime does have a steep learning curve ahead and I choose to be optimistic. But there are haters among AD’s people and some who are also clueless. I do not include Arkady in this number so I hope his leadership prevails.”

From the forgery:

“Makro was as brilliant as always during the remaining agenda matters. He is a towering figure over new dwarfs. His parting words urged AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism, bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign
    against the joint forces of Putin, Zionism, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new junta does have a steep learning curve ahead and I am not optimistic. AD’s people are haters and most are also clueless. They don't appreciate any of us who served FIDE under Macro's enlightened leadership.”

A number of Senior FIDE Officials have since verbally named the culprit. You can guess.

Default Hal's Comments 2

cont'd

October 11th, 2018: Tsypin writes to CFC Executive and others, and appears to make an oblique reference to the forgery above:

“Those inept people who "distinguished" themselves by vile personal attacks and biased reports sent back to their countries will never be considered competent or worthy.”

Tsypin ends his email by confirming his target is me:

“The present Canada’s delegate to FIDE has done enormous damage to our country and to the CFC by his actions in Batumi. His ill-advised political manifestations, his visceral personal attacks on members of the President’s campaign, his boorish and under-the-influence behaviour at the official receptions, and especially his rehashing of old canards and politically charged epithets – all of this was literally beyond the pale and created a long-lasting impression on the key people who would be governing the FIDE in
    the next four years.

Please rest assured that the FIDE President makes clear distinction between actions of one unbalanced individual – and wishes and aspirations of the Canadian chess community, the players, the grassroots organizers. There is now a unique chance for Canada to be among the very first countries that
    would receive tangible help from FIDE.

However, our federation needs to make a clean break with the past as well. Animosity, hostility, venom incompetence, inappropriate behaviour - all of this needs to be replaced by impartiality and professionalism at the international level This is a subject of discussions that I’ve already initiated with the CFC President. We need to move fast; London's PB is around the corner.”

There are three takeaways to consider:
    1) The ugly attack speech is blatant.
    2) A quid pro quo implied. (tangible help from FIDE …a clean break with the past)
    3) Tsypin announces he is opening a back channel with Drkulec.

Vlad called me the same day and confirmed that he had been contacted by Vadim and Berik, and €20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.

In the meantime, Tsypin approaches one year as an International Arbiter (IA) Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Tsypin makes his move early. At his request, I sign for his norms, subject to time served. This is irregular but the Arbiters’ Commission (ARB) reluctantly accepts it. Vadim convinces Vlad to petition FIDE for an exemption to time served without my knowledge. Extraordinary! The situation is resolved in September 2019. I wanted Vadim held accountable. The following emails capture this:

February 12th, 2020: In my email to the CFC Executive:

“You will recall that Vadim Tsypin attempted to fast track his Arbiter Classification with FIDE, which would allow him to be a FIDE Lecturer 4 years early, ahead of others who wait their turn. This can only happen if the applicant’s Federation writes to FIDE to request it. You will recall that Mr. Tsypin tricked Vlad into signing such a letter for him, and at our unanimous direction, Vlad wrote a letter of retraction.
    Should that be the end of it? I think not. The fact that Vlad wrote the retraction is proof that Vadim behaved incorrectly. I believe and disciplinary action is required.”

February 13th, 2020: In his email reply to the CFC Executive, Vlad confirms two things:

1) Tsypin misled Drkulec (and FIDE) regarding FIDE Arbiter classification regulations:

“That I wrote the retraction is only proof that I believe I acted incorrectly.” (re: petitioning FIDE)

2) The quid pro quo implied from October 11th, 2018:

“We don't understand Vadim's relationship with FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich. We don't know Vadim's relationship with whoever intercepted and altered Hal's email. We know Berik who was a close associate of Kirsan Ilyumzhanov is somehow involved. We know they were offering large sums of money in exchange for getting rid of Hal.”

Despite a unanimous vote by the Executive, Vlad refuses to ask for Vadim’s resignation as the CFC Publicity Officer. Vadim is not held accountable.

Default Hal's Comments 3

cont'd

Following the 2020 CFC AGM, Drkulec tries to take my place at the FIDE Online General Assembly.

October 9th, 2020: FIDE publishes the LIST OF DELEGATES for the 2020 FIDE Online General Assembly. Vlad has named himself as Canada’s Delegate.
    October 10th, 2020: I notice. I advise Drkulec to correct.
    October 14th, 2020: I remind Drkulec to correct.
    October 15th, 2020: I escalate to the rest of CFC Executive:

“According to FIDE, you wrote to them stating that you would be attending as Delegate. Now they require you to correct this mistake so please do so. The deadline is October 31. You can almost surely attend as Counsellor and I would totally welcome that.”

And after Drkulec resists:

“I have added the rest of the Executive to this discussion. I am Canada’s FIDE Delegate. Why would you tell FIDE otherwise? I am disappointed that you would take this action without even informing me.”

October 27th, 2020: FIDE confirms that I am confirmed as FIDE Delegate for Canada. And at my collaborative recommendation, that Drkulec will also attend.

December 29th, 2020: Diana Tsypina (Tsypin’s spouse) has passed one year as an IA Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Like her husband, Tsypina makes her move early. She submits her application to me on this date.

I perform a complete analysis, generating many notes of concern. I check with FIDE. I have no choice but to find the application insufficient.

January 18th, 2021: I email Tsypina my decision:

“I regret to advise that I cannot recommend this upgrade. Four of the events you listed took place before you were an FA. Two of the events were 5 rounds in duration. I requested an unofficial opinion from the Arbiters’ Commission and they have confirmed my findings.”

January 18th, 2021: Tsypina escalates to Drkulec. She offers him a possible solution:

“I need a simple written decision of the Chess Federation of Canada,"Submit" or "Refuse". Kindly advise me within five (5) business days. In case of refusal, my next step would be governed by Art 5.4:
    "Applications must be submitted to the FIDE Secretariat by the federation of the applicant. The National federation is responsible for the fee. If the applicant’s federation refuses to apply, the applicant can bring his case to the Arbiters’ Commission, who (sic) will investigate it."”

January 19th, 2021: Despite the possible solution offered by Tsypina, Drkulec unilaterally decides to endorse the Tsypina application.

January 20th, 2021: I email my resignation letter to the CFC Executive.

I should note that despite recommending Aris as my interim replacement, he spent several days urging me to stay on. Thank you Aris, for your kind support. I think Victor Plotkin will be an excellent FIDE Rep.

Needless to say there are challenges ahead. Good luck!

Dear CFC voting members, colleagues, friends, and chess supporters:

It has been a while since most of you heard anything public from me, however, I realized that this is the time to express my feelings about the current situation.

First off, I would like to thank IA Hal Bond for his dedication, over all these years, for chess in our country. I can definitely say that his advice and support helped me to become a better arbiter and to obtain a better vision of how things work on a larger scale!

Initially, we had three candidates for the position, however, currently, obviously wishing IA Aris Marghetis and his family all the best, we are down to 2 candidates now.

Both candidates have different qualities. I will not waste anyone’s time expressing my personal opinion on each of them, as, by now, you probably red it all, including the PROGRAM, etc. Or should I say lack of attention on the program?

While both candidates have their strong and “to improve” qualities, what really bothered me is the approach of the voting “clans” and “tribes”. I would like to remind all my respected colleagues that we are not in the United States, not trying to make anything Great Again, nor wishing to have a 50% vs 50% hate and verbal violence!

It really touched me personally when I saw a comment that Chess ‘n Math is a direct (I guess in a strategic sense) competitor with the Canadian Chess Federation. I don’t work for this organization for the past 20+ years, and have no financial or any other interest in showing my support, except for the crucial fact. Growing up in Canada, in 90s, I know I would have been a sad shell of a human if I didn’t have an opportunity to play against other kids of my age! I do teach chess as a hobby (after all, I still am a FM with an IM norm) and would that make me a competitor to the CFC as well? As they say nowadays: L O L !

Voting members do have a moral obligation to think about what is best for our kids, for our chess players, and how to PROMOTE and UNIFY us!

Ones who know me personally will confirm that I am very patient, until the bubble explodes… In Canada, we have a very popular saying: “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”!

I realize, that regardless to the results of the vote, I risk to face reciprocations for my today’s post, but it is what it is. Worst case scenario, there will be one more retired, hopefully respected, International Arbiter with over 20 years of job experience, who actually knows how to play the game (FM with IM norm & former U20 Canadian Chess Champion) and loves it since the age of 3 (when my dad first showed me the moves)!

In the light of the information that I have obtained from my own sources, I am no longer sure about IA Aris Marghetis intent in endorsing Mr. Plotkin, and that is the most politically correct expression of my true feelings.

Subsequently, following the announcement of IA Aris Marghetis to withdraw his candidature, I would like to reach to all his former supporters and the undecided ones and ask you NOT TO VOTE! With all the “trash talk” going around, I think we will pass a strong message to the eventual winner, making him understand that we exist and commit to watch every step! However, we will also SUPPORT and UNIFY all attempts to promote chess in Canada!

Sincerely,

IA / FM Danny Goldenberg

P.S. I would like to ask ANY Voting Member to share my vision by copying my post to the main discussion. You will contribute to CFC democracy and transparency! We ALL GOT SOMETHING TO SAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Goldenberg View Post
    Dear CFC voting members, colleagues, friends, and chess supporters:

It has been a while since most of you heard anything public from me, however, I realized that this is the time to express my feelings about the current situation.

First off, I would like to thank IA Hal Bond for his dedication, over all these years, for chess in our country. I can definitely say that his advice and support helped me to become a better arbiter and to obtain a better vision of how things work on a larger scale!

Initially, we had three candidates for the position, however, currently, obviously wishing IA Aris Marghetis and his family all the best, we are down to 2 candidates now.

Both candidates have different qualities. I will not waste anyone’s time expressing my personal opinion on each of them, as, by now, you probably red it all, including the PROGRAM, etc. Or should I say lack of attention on the program?

While both candidates have their strong and “to improve” qualities, what really bothered me is the approach of the voting “clans” and “tribes”. I would like to remind all my respected colleagues that we are not in the United States, not trying to make anything Great Again, nor wishing to have a 50% vs 50% hate and verbal violence!

It really touched me personally when I saw a comment that Chess ‘n Math is a direct (I guess in a strategic sense) competitor with the Canadian Chess Federation. I don’t work for this organization for the past 20+ years, and have no financial or any other interest in showing my support, except for the crucial fact. Growing up in Canada, in 90s, I know I would have been a sad shell of a human if I didn’t have an opportunity to play against other kids of my age! I do teach chess as a hobby (after all, I still am a FM with an IM norm) and would that make me a competitor to the CFC as well? As they say nowadays: L O L !

Voting members do have a moral obligation to think about what is best for our kids, for our chess players, and how to PROMOTE and UNIFY us!

Ones who know me personally will confirm that I am very patient, until the bubble explodes… In Canada, we have a very popular saying: “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”!

I realize, that regardless to the results of the vote, I risk to face reciprocations for my today’s post, but it is what it is. Worst case scenario, there will be one more retired, hopefully respected, International Arbiter with over 20 years of job experience, who actually knows how to play the game (FM with IM norm & former U20 Canadian Chess Champion) and loves it since the age of 3 (when my dad first showed me the moves)!

In the light of the information that I have obtained from my own sources, I am no longer sure about IA Aris Marghetis intent in endorsing Mr. Plotkin, and that is the most politically correct expression of my true feelings.

Subsequently, following the announcement of IA Aris Marghetis to withdraw his candidature, I would like to reach to all his former supporters and the undecided ones and ask you NOT TO VOTE! With all the “trash talk” going around, I think we will pass a strong message to the eventual winner, making him understand that we exist and commit to watch every step! However, we will also SUPPORT and UNIFY all attempts to promote chess in Canada!

Sincerely,

IA / FM Danny Goldenberg

P.S. I would like to ask ANY Voting Member to share my vision by copying my post to the main discussion. You will contribute to CFC democracy and transparency! We ALL GOT SOMETHING TO SAY!
    This post generated a misunderstanding on another forum.

I confirm that I completely continue to endorse Victor Plotkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    This post generated a misunderstanding on another forum.

I confirm that I completely continue to endorse Victor Plotkin.
    Dear Mr. Marghetis,

There is no confusion what so ever, if you take time to read my post carefully. However, I was of a much higher opinion of Mr. Plotkin. Very interesting attempt to try to manipulate my words, but I guess, he has a goal and he doesn't care about the measures.

To clarify! I have questions in regards to WHY REALLY Mr. Marghetis is supporting Mr. Plotkin. Subsequently, I was offering to the ones (like ME! after an initial phone conversation with Aris Marghetis) who wanted to support HIS CANDIDATURE (Aris) not to vote! Lets wash our hands from all the dirt!

I think that this time the message is crystal clear!

That is where my input will end, with all the due respect to Mr. Marghetis and Mr. Plotkin.

Good luck to your clan sirs!

Sincerely,

IA / FM Danny Goldenberg

P.S. Hope this FINAL reply will be shares as well. Thank you!
    Last edited by Danny Goldenberg; 02-23-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Goldenberg View Post
    Dear Mr. Marghetis,

There is no confusion what so ever, if you take time to read my post carefully. However, I was of a much higher opinion of Mr. Plotkin. Very interesting attempt to try to manipulate my words, but I guess, he has a goal and he doesn't care about the measures.

To clarify! I have questions in regards to WHY REALLY Mr. Marghetis is supporting Mr. Plotkin. Subsequently, I was offering to the ones (like ME! after an initial phone conversation with Aris Marghetis) who wanted to support HIS CANDIDATURE (Aris) not to vote! Lets wash our hands from all the dirt!

I think that this time the message is crystal clear!

That is where my input will end, with all the due respect to Mr. Marghetis and Mr. Plotkin.

Good luck to your clan sirs!

Sincerely,

IA / FM Danny Goldenberg

P.S. Hope this FINAL reply will be shares as well. Thank you!
    Respectfully Danny, I wasn't trying to manipulate your words at all.
    The misundersanding was on the part of Victor Itkin, so I thought others might have the same misunderstanding.