Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Honourable Voting Members:

In 1990-s, the Chess Federation of Canada has a physical office, a chess store, the En Passant magazine. While other federations strengthened and prospered, ours became poorer and poorer. Out biggest friend and ally, the United States, has a professional, well-run machine of the USCF with dozens of employees and hundreds of volunteers, with a reach in all 50 states, with professional managers, departments and commissions. This attracts sponsors who contribute millions of dollars to U.S. chess. Rex Sinquefild, Webster University, others.

It is within our reach to transform the CFC into the same kind of a united, modern, professional sports federation. Thousands of Canadian chess lovers – and everyone of you – will benefit from new opportunities and sustained prosperity.

For three weeks in a row, I have constructively and patiently described the blueprints for this transformation. I informed you about the FIDE structure, its logistics, the new financing model for the member federations. I was privileged to meet with so many of you in groups or one-on-one, and to learn your concerns. I have posted nine significant sections of my program, identifying several crucial and urgent issues facing the CFC on the world stage, and offered ways to address them. I expected a fruitful professional discussion regarding these issues – and I am very grateful to the huge majority of you, from Charlottetown to Victoria, who engaged in such a discussion with me. - In private.

What happened in the public square? No other candidate ever addressed the policy issues identified, or showed even slightest understanding of the urgency to find solutions to several of them. No other candidate ever offered their own views, or discussed the merits of my program. None of them was, or is, ready to discuss the substance with me.

On the opposite, the other candidates’ surrogates resorted to ad hominem attacks and threw at Vadim everything but the kitchen sink, hoping that something would stick. They started with vile offensive insults that were universally denounced by you, the honourable Voting Members. They finished with libelous attempts to smear my wife’s good name. You, the honourable Voting Members, forcefully rejected those as well. Regrettably, none of the other candidates themselves joined the voice of the Canadian chess community in rejecting those attacks. I leave for all of you to ponder what this means.

Thank you, dear colleagues, for making your own informed judgment.

So, what is left for my opponents now? Again and again, they refuse to discuss platform issues, they refuse to recognize the challenges facing the CFC in the modern chess world, they refuse any intelligent debate, they spin tall tales or advance patented untruths. The only “argument” they are advancing nowadays is a snake oil’s salesman “two-for-the-price-of-one” pitch:
    Vadim Tsypin can successfully continue supporting Canadian chess just as he has done until now, holding a very honorable (paid) position at FIDE. In such an outcome, Canada will only benefit, as essentially it will have two representatives in FIDE instead of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    2) Can and would both Candidates work together for the benefit of the CFC if Victor was elected ?
    The answer to Lloyd’s question # 2 is logical and straightforward. As an executive of the International Chess Federation, I am always happy to work together with a delegate of any national federation. If the CFC Voting Members decide that it is preferable for the CFC to have Vadim Tsypin concentrate solely on his current responsibilities as the Secretary of the FIDE Management Board and to entrust someone else with a position of Canada’s FIDE delegate, then I will of course accept the Voting Members’ decision. I would thereupon concentrate on my FIDE responsibilities. As a FIDE executive, I deal with delegates from 195 countries. If Mr. Plotkin were elected, I would definitely provide him the same amount of time and the same amount of support as I am providing to any of those 195 colleagues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

Vlad,

Should CFC demand that RCMP investigate foreign election interference? Just kidding.
    I'm glad you said you were kidding as it is hard to tell sometimes with the level of farce exhibited by some of the Kitchener/Guelph crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    For some reason, our president decided not to post endorsement letter from Canadian Champion GM E.Bareev. Unfortunately, I have no choice but post it myself.

Dear Vlad,

One candidate Vadim Tsypin is working in FIDE. He has rather high positions there. What I know about him I know only from someone’s words and I cannot completely rely on that information. Nevertheless, his position in FIDE depends on CFC voting on new elections. In case CFC supports any other candidate than A. Dvorkovich in interests of V. Tsypin will be voting for A.Dvorkovich. In my opinion, it is an obvious conflict of interests. I have doubts, reasonable doubts that he will stand the temptations. In my opinion V. Tsypin should not be among candidates for this position at all. I also know that he wants this position so the only possibility left is to support any other candidate to exclude giving Canadian voting ballot in advance to A. Dvorkovich. After all, another candidate may run on election and we need a choice.

Sincerely,

GM E.Bareev
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is exactly the sentiment and the position I took from day one. Here is GM Bareev saying Vadim would clearly be in a conflict of interest and should not be a candidate while I used the phrase "disqualify". My position is NOT a slander of Vadim, It is a checks and balances necessary for proper governance. Why subject anyone to any temptation? While we have so much respect for our judges in Canada, all of them are explicitly "disqualified" from police boards for a reason!!
    I have over 20 years of experience in senior governance of NFP and Charity organizations (including Rotary) and a graduate degree in leadership where Decision Making and Ethics are the core themes.

I will wholeheartedly support Victor Plotkin for the CFC rep. And I am urging all of you to do the same. Victor will do us proud on his own merit, skill and experience.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud

Blog Entries

"What I know about him I know only from someone’s words and I cannot completely rely on that information." - Grandmaster Bareev

This is what Grandmaster Bareev knows about him (Vadim).

If you cannot completely rely on that information, you cannot rely on that information.

The whole approach here is to throw a whole bunch of innuendo up and hope some of it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    "What I know about him I know only from someone’s words and I cannot completely rely on that information." - Grandmaster Bareev

This is what Grandmaster Bareev knows about him (Vadim).

If you cannot completely rely on that information, you cannot rely on that information.

The whole approach here is to throw a whole bunch of innuendo up and hope some of it sticks.
    It is a tribal politic at it's best - or rather the WORST...

Default Plotkin's story

I'm establishing a contact with Vladimir Bykov.
    Victor, please provide me with the name of your friend from St. Petersburg for the reference.
    If you can't do it publicly please email it to me at alexander.starr@gmail.com.
    Thank you,
    Sasha Starr, VM.

Blog Entries

With respect to the 2014 FIDE election I have seen some people describe the payments in very unflattering terms.

The Executive voted 5 for with 2 abstentions (Fred McKim and Simon Ong) to support Kirsan Ilymumzhinov over Garry Kasparov in part because of the blunderful pressure campaign by the Kasparov people. I was originally for Kasparov.

Once we had made that decision, Hal Bond said wait before we say anything, lets see if we can get some sponsorship for an IM tournament or two from FIDE or not? Hal got a promise of money, $20,000 U.S. which was delivered (the exchange rate was closer to parity so this amounted to $22,000 Canadian).

The money for the tournaments was sent half to Hal Bond to put on on one IM norm tournament. Some of the money went to appearance fees for grandmaster Bareev, I believe, though I have not recently reviewed information which may or not have been sent to the CFC on completion of the event.

The other half of the money went to the Alberta Chess Association which used it to put on two (!) IM norm events. The understanding was that they were to do one event but they are apparently quite efficient and were able to do two tournaments for that price.

The CFC passed through all funds to these two organizations/individuals and received no benefit to itself or any other officer, other than Mr. Bond.

With respect to the 2014 FIDE election I have seen some people describe the payments in very unflattering terms.

The Executive voted 5 for with 2 abstentions (Fred McKim and Simon Ong) to support Kirsan Ilymumzhinov over Garry Kasparov in part because of the blunderful pressure campaign by the Kasparov people. I was originally for Kasparov.

Once we had made that decision, Hal Bond said wait before we say anything, lets see if we can get some sponsorship for an IM tournament or two from FIDE or not? Hal got a promise of money, $20,000 U.S. which was delivered (the exchange rate was closer to parity so this amounted to $22,000 Canadian).

The money for the tournaments was sent half to Hal Bond to put on on one IM norm tournament. Some of the money went to appearance fees for grandmaster Bareev, I believe, though I have not recently reviewed information which may or not have been sent to the CFC on completion of the event.

The other half of the money went to the Alberta Chess Association which used it to put on two (!) IM norm events. The understanding was that they were to do one event but they are apparently quite efficient and were able to do two tournaments for that price.

The CFC passed through all funds to these two organizations/individuals and received no benefit to itself or any other officer, other than Mr. Bond.
    I remember 2014... I could not believe that CFC has elected to vote for Kirsan against great Garry Kasparov... When I was in Tromso during Olympiad people from many countries were asking if we are normal... Now history repeats itself, new faces. the old story...

Today morning I got an email from FIDE:

Dear collegues.

I write to your this letter on behalf of mister Dvorkovich, his decision below:

FIDE President's decision:

Given that:
    FIDE Management Board member Vadim Tsypin is participating in the election of the representative of Canada in FIDE
    there is evidence of a possible violation of ethical standards,
    it resolved

suspend the powers of V. Tsypin as a member and secretary of the FIDE Management Board until the end of the relevant investigation with immediately effect.

I and probably others remember 2014 quite differently. Ilyumzhinov offered CFC a bribe of $80000, which was accepted. CFC only received $20000. Hal Bond organized a GM (not IM) norm tournament in Kitchener, and I remember that quite well since I was not invited (maybe because I spoke out against CFC accepting the money ) https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/#/t/201508026/121202

Now, you are trying to put some shade on Hal Bond, ie he had some piece of the $20000, and you did not. Details, numbers, documents please. Otherwise, as often happens in your case, false accusations and libel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    Berik did not try to bribe me, Berik only offered me money?
    No, Berik offered to enrol Canada as an early entrant to the FIDE support program which many federations are already enrolled in. We will probably enroll in it after this election.

Maybe I misunderstood, but Hal Bond's account of Berik approaching Vlad is detailed in 2018, not 2021. It would be great if other Executive members can confirm. Also it would be great if Vlad can confirm that the FIDE support program which many federations are already enrolled in is welcoming Canada no matter who Canada chooses as FIDE Representative. Lastly, I am curious how a situation when FIDE is trying to get rid of Hal Bond (whether he is indeed behaving under the influence (c) or not), Canada's chosen representative, is not viewed as a situation of FIDE meddling in other federation's affairs.

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast