Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Christopher, Aris, other VPs.

I find it hard to understand that at first Aris was one of two candidates, then one of three and finally resigned while endorsing the new candidate. If he resigned from the race due to the family health issues, why to endorse one of two remaining candidates, especially one who's entered the race almost at the last minute?
    Aris has had family health issues, and therefore resigned, understand. And I've said numerous times the very best wishes to him and his family.

But his endorsement of Victor is highly questionable. Especially in a view that I've asked Victor: if there would have been only two candidates, Aris and Vadim, who would he, Victor, have supported? Without any hesitation Victor has answered: OF COURSE, ARIS!

This made me very suspicious about the motives of certain candidates. Entering the race, exiting the race, endorsing one of the two remaining candidates... While legal, it all SMELLS...

Sasha Starr, VM.
    I guess no apology for your earlier nastiness is incoming?

There are any number of reasons why someone might support someone else for a position.
    I was going to vote for Aris. Now I will be voting for Victor. Does that also smell? Does everything you don't personally agree with smell? You should get that checked out...
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I guess no apology for your earlier nastiness is incoming?

There are any number of reasons why someone might support someone else for a position.
    I was going to vote for Aris. Now I will be voting for Victor. Does that also smell? Does everything you don't personally agree with smell? You should get that checked out...
    Christopher, I'm in the middle of making decision whether keep replying to your posts or not. No decision yet. Will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    This morning, I got a call from my friend and long-time business partner. He is a Soviet Union CM that currently lives in St. Petersburg Russia. I have been friends with him since 1976. Currently, he is not an active chess player, however, occasionally plays blitz in St. Petersburg. He informed me that he recently got a very strange call from a well-known chess organizer named Vladimir Bykov (V.B).

V.B asked my friend whether he knew of me, and of course he answered yes, because we are long-time friends. Bykov informed my friend that Victor Plotkin is currently participating in a chess election in Canada against Vadim Tsypin. Bykov told my friend that "Vadim is a good guy and Victor Plotkin should step down from his candidacy." Some very influential people in the FIDE had asked Bykov to call my friend.

When my friend told me about the call between him and Bykov, I was very surprised. In Russia, calling someone and giving such a powerful message is a clear threat. After some hesitation, I decided to contact Emil Sutovsky, and I asked him for his advice regarding this information.

Here are the most important parts of our chat translated into English (it was in Russian, on Facebook Messenger):

V.P: Hello, Emil! I hope you remember me - we have interacted numerous times at Olympiads and in Gibraltar. I recall that in Canada's match against Israel, you beat Gerzhoy on the second board, in the Carro-Cann. The match ended with a score of 2-2.

E.S: Victor, of course I remember you, I also remember seeing you at Aeroflot Opens.

I explained the situation to him, he understood and took it very seriously. It was a priority for him to assure me that the FIDE is unrelated here.

V.P: Emil, there is no doubt in my mind that neither you, nor Dvorkovich, have any relation to this whatsoever. Rather, all I'm asking for is some advice, from friend to friend. I ask that you understand me correctly - what happened today was absolutely brutal for me to hear.

E.S: Why do you need to consider Bykov's opinion?

V.P: Of course, I have no intention of heeding his advice. But it is evident to me that Tsypin initiated this. This all seems somewhat disturbing, wouldn't you agree?

E.S: Certainly. Well, the question here is whether or not Tsypin crossed any lines, made any threats, or did anything of the sort.

He then asked me about my opinion on this election, my answer was that it is approximately equal at this point, because many players support me, but Tsypin has the support of the President and of some chess politicians.

E.S: I understand. Disregard this (Bykov's message). This most certainly doesn't improve his image. I can only reiterate that under no circumstances can we try to have an impact. And if anyone suggests this, it's a lie.

I thanked him for discussing this with me. Soon after, he asked about the reason behind Marghetis' resignation.

V.P: He did it in my favor, I want to emphasize that I did not initiate this, and had never asked him about it. Why? It seems that I, a more neutral candidate in this instance, was suitable, in his view. I am not an arbiter, I don't earn money from chess, and I am not looking for personal benefits from this position.

E.S: You are a surprisingly decent person for a candidate.

Sutovsky took this issue very seriously, and immediately informed the FIDE President, Arkady Dvorkovich. Very soon after this, Vlad Drkulec, Vadim Tsypin, and I received an official email from a FIDE lawyer stating:

"Dear colleagues. I am writing this letter on behalf of the FIDE President.

In connection with a number of questions that arise regarding the upcoming elections of Canada’s representative in FIDE, we would like to officially assure FIDE’s position.
    FIDE always takes an absolutely neutral position on elections in any federation, considers elections to be the internal affair of each federation, and works equally fruitfully and constructively with any representative elected in the respective federation."

I do not know if Vadim crossed a line, and I don't have enough evidence to take this to court, nor do I have any intention of doing this as of now. Actually, I don't know Bykov at all, and likely, before last week, he was not aware of my existence either. The only person who could have initiated this chain of contacts is Tsypin, who tried to put some pressure on me to step down from this election. This reflects so negatively on his personality. I don't understand how any voting member, with the best interests of Canadian chess in mind, would be ready to support him.
    Victor, a few questions.
    1.How recently has your friend got a call from Vladimir Bykov? Does he keep record of that call (date, duration, phone number, etc.)
    2."Some very influential people in the FIDE had asked Bykov to call my friend". Did Bykov tell that to your friend?
    3.Please take your friend's deposition (in Russian OK).
    4.And based on that CFC could initiate a deposition from Vladimir Bykov.
    Please try to do your best due to the election's deadline.
    Sasha Starr, VM.

Blog Entries

Hal Bond has posted his side of the story on the public forums. I'm going to quote it here because I think it's important to get it into the official meeting record.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Hal Bond: Report to CFC Voting Members (February 2021)

The position of “FIDE Representative” in Canada is all about public service. Integrity is the most important quality for any candidate.
    I resigned because of the conduct of Vadim Tsypin, and President Vlad Drkulec’s response to that conduct, since 2018. The pattern of behaviour is of growing concern.

Here is a summary of events and relevant quotes from emails:

October 4th, 2018: I shall start with the election of FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich. Vadim is on his campaign team. I emailed a couple of positive notes to the CFC Executive from Batumi:
    “Last night I had a chance to speak briefly with Arkady Dvorkovich. I congratulated him on his solid victory and told him that Canada looks forward to working with him. He assured me that we will work together.”

and

“The 2019 NAYCC was awarded to Canada last night also in an extended meeting FIDE America.”

Later that day, Tsypin emailed a positive reply to the CFC Executive:

“First of all, thanks again to Hal for seeing through Canada's bid to completion, much appreciated.”
    So far, so good.

October 5th, 2018: After a series of challenging FIDE meetings right after the election, I emailed a pointed update to the CFC Executive. I was positive about Dvorkovich, but I had concerns too.

I soon discovered something very dark. This email to my Executive was distorted and shared with the FIDE President and his team. It depicts me as an anti-Semite who is against them. Despite FIDE’s lack of co-operation I found this forgery. I have underlined the alterations below.
    From my email:
    “Makro was a brilliant Chair during the remaining agenda matters and this was appreciated by all. His parting words were a tad sharp- urging AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against Putin, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new regime does have a steep learning curve ahead and I choose to be optimistic. But there are haters among AD’s people and some who are also clueless. I do not include Arkady in this number so I hope his leadership prevails.”

From the forgery:

“Makro was as brilliant as always during the remaining agenda matters. He is a towering figure over new dwarfs. His parting words urged AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism, bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign
    against the joint forces of Putin, Zionism, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new junta does have a steep learning curve ahead and I am not optimistic. AD’s people are haters and most are also clueless. They don't appreciate any of us who served FIDE under Macro's enlightened leadership.”

A number of Senior FIDE Officials have since verbally named the culprit. You can guess.
    cont'd

October 11th, 2018: Tsypin writes to CFC Executive and others, and appears to make an oblique reference to the forgery above:

“Those inept people who "distinguished" themselves by vile personal attacks and biased reports sent back to their countries will never be considered competent or worthy.”

Tsypin ends his email by confirming his target is me:

“The present Canada’s delegate to FIDE has done enormous damage to our country and to the CFC by his actions in Batumi. His ill-advised political manifestations, his visceral personal attacks on members of the President’s campaign, his boorish and under-the-influence behaviour at the official receptions, and especially his rehashing of old canards and politically charged epithets – all of this was literally beyond the pale and created a long-lasting impression on the key people who would be governing the FIDE in
    the next four years.

Please rest assured that the FIDE President makes clear distinction between actions of one unbalanced individual – and wishes and aspirations of the Canadian chess community, the players, the grassroots organizers. There is now a unique chance for Canada to be among the very first countries that
    would receive tangible help from FIDE.

However, our federation needs to make a clean break with the past as well. Animosity, hostility, venom incompetence, inappropriate behaviour - all of this needs to be replaced by impartiality and professionalism at the international level This is a subject of discussions that I’ve already initiated with the CFC President. We need to move fast; London's PB is around the corner.”

There are three takeaways to consider:
    1) The ugly attack speech is blatant.
    2) A quid pro quo implied. (tangible help from FIDE …a clean break with the past)
    3) Tsypin announces he is opening a back channel with Drkulec.

Vlad called me the same day and confirmed that he had been contacted by Vadim and Berik, and €20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.

In the meantime, Tsypin approaches one year as an International Arbiter (IA) Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Tsypin makes his move early. At his request, I sign for his norms, subject to time served. This is irregular but the Arbiters’ Commission (ARB) reluctantly accepts it. Vadim convinces Vlad to petition FIDE for an exemption to time served without my knowledge. Extraordinary! The situation is resolved in September 2019. I wanted Vadim held accountable. The following emails capture this:

February 12th, 2020: In my email to the CFC Executive:

“You will recall that Vadim Tsypin attempted to fast track his Arbiter Classification with FIDE, which would allow him to be a FIDE Lecturer 4 years early, ahead of others who wait their turn. This can only happen if the applicant’s Federation writes to FIDE to request it. You will recall that Mr. Tsypin tricked Vlad into signing such a letter for him, and at our unanimous direction, Vlad wrote a letter of retraction.
    Should that be the end of it? I think not. The fact that Vlad wrote the retraction is proof that Vadim behaved incorrectly. I believe and disciplinary action is required.”

February 13th, 2020: In his email reply to the CFC Executive, Vlad confirms two things:

1) Tsypin misled Drkulec (and FIDE) regarding FIDE Arbiter classification regulations:

“That I wrote the retraction is only proof that I believe I acted incorrectly.” (re: petitioning FIDE)

2) The quid pro quo implied from October 11th, 2018:

“We don't understand Vadim's relationship with FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich. We don't know Vadim's relationship with whoever intercepted and altered Hal's email. We know Berik who was a close associate of Kirsan Ilyumzhanov is somehow involved. We know they were offering large sums of money in exchange for getting rid of Hal.”

Despite a unanimous vote by the Executive, Vlad refuses to ask for Vadim’s resignation as the CFC Publicity Officer. Vadim is not held accountable.
    cont'd

Following the 2020 CFC AGM, Drkulec tries to take my place at the FIDE Online General Assembly.

October 9th, 2020: FIDE publishes the LIST OF DELEGATES for the 2020 FIDE Online General Assembly. Vlad has named himself as Canada’s Delegate.
    October 10th, 2020: I notice. I advise Drkulec to correct.
    October 14th, 2020: I remind Drkulec to correct.
    October 15th, 2020: I escalate to the rest of CFC Executive:

“According to FIDE, you wrote to them stating that you would be attending as Delegate. Now they require you to correct this mistake so please do so. The deadline is October 31. You can almost surely attend as Counsellor and I would totally welcome that.”

And after Drkulec resists:

“I have added the rest of the Executive to this discussion. I am Canada’s FIDE Delegate. Why would you tell FIDE otherwise? I am disappointed that you would take this action without even informing me.”

October 27th, 2020: FIDE confirms that I am confirmed as FIDE Delegate for Canada. And at my collaborative recommendation, that Drkulec will also attend.

December 29th, 2020: Diana Tsypina (Tsypin’s spouse) has passed one year as an IA Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Like her husband, Tsypina makes her move early. She submits her application to me on this date.

I perform a complete analysis, generating many notes of concern. I check with FIDE. I have no choice but to find the application insufficient.

January 18th, 2021: I email Tsypina my decision:

“I regret to advise that I cannot recommend this upgrade. Four of the events you listed took place before you were an FA. Two of the events were 5 rounds in duration. I requested an unofficial opinion from the Arbiters’ Commission and they have confirmed my findings.”

January 18th, 2021: Tsypina escalates to Drkulec. She offers him a possible solution:

“I need a simple written decision of the Chess Federation of Canada,"Submit" or "Refuse". Kindly advise me within five (5) business days. In case of refusal, my next step would be governed by Art 5.4:
    "Applications must be submitted to the FIDE Secretariat by the federation of the applicant. The National federation is responsible for the fee. If the applicant’s federation refuses to apply, the applicant can bring his case to the Arbiters’ Commission, who (sic) will investigate it."”

January 19th, 2021: Despite the possible solution offered by Tsypina, Drkulec unilaterally decides to endorse the Tsypina application.

January 20th, 2021: I email my resignation letter to the CFC Executive.

I should note that despite recommending Aris as my interim replacement, he spent several days urging me to stay on. Thank you Aris, for your kind support. I think Victor Plotkin will be an excellent FIDE Rep.

Needless to say there are challenges ahead. Good luck!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I note that wrote the following before reading Christopher Mallon's last posting. I have to admit that when I first became involved with the CFC 6 or 7 years ago, that I was optimistic that this would be an organization which would be non-political and work hard for the betterment of chess, domestically and internationally. Here's my post regarding my vote and why:

First, I reiterate my earlier statement that we “must” have the best interests of the CFC at heart. It’s not whether we “like” someone over another person, it’s the reality of the administration of the position and everything that relates to it. This is an important position and careful, sober deliberation must prevail.

Let me say that I don’t know Vadim personally other than the presentation which he did for the CFC Board of Directors and the few e-mails which we have exchanged thereafter. Knowing Vadim as little as I do, I doubt that Vadim would initiate a threat to have Victor resign from the race however I can believe that with FIDE being a large international organization, that somehow the wrong people got hold of the information and tried to make it easier for Vadim to win the race. Having said that, as you are all aware, I announced my support for Vadim early in the discussion on the condition that I was able to be swayed by future information. I have decided to support Victor for the following reasons:

1. Competency : I consider both Victor and Vadim are both competent and qualified to undertake the position of CFC Representative at the FIDE table, that goes without question.

2. Strength-in-Numbers: This is a key reason for voting for Victor. It has already been said many times, and Vadim has said so himself, that he has assisted the CFC, Canadian delegations and Canadian individuals in many situations. It seems to me that there is “strength-in-numbers” in the sense that Vadim remains in the same position (I’m assuming he will remain in his position on the FIDE Management Board), therefore, Vadim will still be able to do everything he has done in the past. With such a huge schedule, surely Victor can take some of the burden by taking on the position and working with Vadim to get things done. I simply cannot see that it would be detrimental to have Vadim in the Management Board position where he can continue to assist the CFC and have Victor take on the duties of CFC Representative.

3. CFC / FIDE Knowledge: Both candidates have good working relationships with both the CFC and FIDE and a good working knowledge of domestic and international chess.

4. Conflict of Interest: I have already stated that I don’t believe Vadim is in a conflict of interest if he remains on the FIDE Management Board and was concurrently the CFC Representative. However as has been mentioned by others, there may well be situations where CFC and FIDE interests collide and Vadim would have to abstain from an important vote (I can’t imagine a situation as I write this, however it seems to me that it is a possibility). Obviously, that issue does not arise with Victor.

For those reasons, I will be voting to support Victor.

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I hereby confirm that Vadim also got the following people to contact myself, to "influence" me that I should step down for Vadim (and publicly endorse him):

January 24th: Michael Barron (CAN)
    January 24th: Nikos Kalesis (GRE)
    January 24th: Vadim Tsypin (CAN)
    January 26th: Nikos Kalesis (GRE)
    January 28th: George Mastrokoukos (GRE)
    Obviously, I cannot comment on the allegations regarding third persons raised by Aris Marghetis in his post since I have not been the party to the alleged contacts.

However,
    January 24th: Vadim Tsypin (CAN)
    is a patent lie.

Mr. Marghetis, kindly provide the proof that Vadim Tsypin “contacted yourself” on January 24, or withdraw your allegations and apologize immediately. I have phone records that *prove otherwise*.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I note that wrote the following before reading Christopher Mallon's last posting. I have to admit that when I first became involved with the CFC 6 or 7 years ago, that I was optimistic that this would be an organization which would be non-political and work hard for the betterment of chess, domestically and internationally. Here's my post regarding my vote and why:

First, I reiterate my earlier statement that we “must” have the best interests of the CFC at heart. It’s not whether we “like” someone over another person, it’s the reality of the administration of the position and everything that relates to it. This is an important position and careful, sober deliberation must prevail.

Let me say that I don’t know Vadim personally other than the presentation which he did for the CFC Board of Directors and the few e-mails which we have exchanged thereafter. Knowing Vadim as little as I do, I doubt that Vadim would initiate a threat to have Victor resign from the race however I can believe that with FIDE being a large international organization, that somehow the wrong people got hold of the information and tried to make it easier for Vadim to win the race. Having said that, as you are all aware, I announced my support for Vadim early in the discussion on the condition that I was able to be swayed by future information. I have decided to support Victor for the following reasons:

1. Competency : I consider both Victor and Vadim are both competent and qualified to undertake the position of CFC Representative at the FIDE table, that goes without question.

2. Strength-in-Numbers: This is a key reason for voting for Victor. It has already been said many times, and Vadim has said so himself, that he has assisted the CFC, Canadian delegations and Canadian individuals in many situations. It seems to me that there is “strength-in-numbers” in the sense that Vadim remains in the same position (I’m assuming he will remain in his position on the FIDE Management Board), therefore, Vadim will still be able to do everything he has done in the past. With such a huge schedule, surely Victor can take some of the burden by taking on the position and working with Vadim to get things done. I simply cannot see that it would be detrimental to have Vadim in the Management Board position where he can continue to assist the CFC and have Victor take on the duties of CFC Representative.

3. CFC / FIDE Knowledge: Both candidates have good working relationships with both the CFC and FIDE and a good working knowledge of domestic and international chess.

4. Conflict of Interest: I have already stated that I don’t believe Vadim is in a conflict of interest if he remains on the FIDE Management Board and was concurrently the CFC Representative. However as has been mentioned by others, there may well be situations where CFC and FIDE interests collide and Vadim would have to abstain from an important vote (I can’t imagine a situation as I write this, however it seems to me that it is a possibility). Obviously, that issue does not arise with Victor.

For those reasons, I will be voting to support Victor.

Lloyd
    Obviously Victor's story is requiring a proof, and I've already asked Victor to take certain steps to address it.
    Now, Lloyd, let me comment on your reasonings:
    1.Competency. As I'm concerned only one of two candidates has it. It is obvious that one who has never been in this position simply can't have it by definition.
    2.Strength-in-Numbers: nothing is further from the truth. Whatever problem Vadim can solve with one email (he knows what when and to whom to write) will take Victor years to learn and figure it out, especially if CFC will reject Vadim's candidacy. There will be very little or no incentive for loser to cooperate with a winner.
    3.CFC / FIDE Knowledge: Since when Victor has a good or any for that matter relationship with FIDE?
    4.Conflict of interest: you yourself have written that "I can’t imagine a situation as I write this, however it seems to me that it is a possibility". So you would vote for clearly inferior candidate cause' of this small possibility?
    Anyway, the choice is yours. Good Luck.
    Sasha Starr, VM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Obviously, I cannot comment on the allegations regarding third persons raised by Aris Marghetis in his post since I have not been the party to the alleged contacts.

However,
    is a patent lie.

Mr. Marghetis, kindly provide the proof that Vadim Tsypin “contacted yourself” on January 24, or withdraw your allegations and apologize immediately. I have phone records that *prove otherwise*.
    Aris contacted me shortly after your phone conversation and expressed some irritation about the contents of that call but they did arise to the level of the tall tales that were told to Egis or perhaps told by Egis later. He called me a day later and again the call was not that bad in his analysis but his resentment was growing.

Aris made repeated attempts to get me to broker a skype conversation between Aris, Vadim and myself. Vadim resisted on the grounds that all three candidates should be involved in any such meeting. After suggesting that one outcome of such a call might be that Aris would withdraw and endorse Vadim for FIDE rep Vadim offered to meet on the condition that Aris offered a detailed agenda for the meeting specifying that the purpose was to withdraw from the campaign and offer an endorsement for Vadim. Aris kept insisting on a meeting and Vadim kept insisting on a detailed agenda and so there was no meeting.

I will vote for Vadim Tsypin because he his the most qualified person for this position. He has numerous contacts within FIDE and foreign Federations that could greatly improve chess in Canada. His position within FIDE is an advantage, not a conflict of interest. FIDE works for its member Federations, not against them. Furthermore, he his the only candidate with a real published program.

Blog Entries

Vladimir Drkulec
    To: Mark Dutton
    CC: Aris Marghetis, Rest of CFC Board

Sun 2021-01-24 1:29 PM

Thank you Mark,

I am in the process of talking to a lawyer about this whole situation. There is a provision in the NFP act which suggests to me that in cases where we have not a full slate of directors we may be required to call a meeting. Our course of action depends on the definition of a full slate of directors as we have provisions for ten. Unfortunately, today is an extremely busy day and I won't be able to give any of these discussions much attention until I finish with my lessons around 11 pm. I will only have a few minutes here and there unless there are cancellations in my lessons.

We have additional requirements from the Canadian Olympic Committee on how we are supposed to proceed in cases where we add a board member and there are requirements about our process. We should not rush this and whatever we do should have approval of the voting members. If you want to add Aris as a board member that would also work for me as it is within our power but hold off on the FIDE rep decision. He would need to recuse himself from the final decision on that matter. It might tie our hands a bit on the COC requirements which are also increasingly Canadian government requirements as well. This is in effect, what Egis suggested at one point.

Vlad

Clearly the first mention I made to Aris about a board post had no requirement of any action on his part and was a reaction to an earlier post by Egis suggesting that Aris be put on the board when we were still working with the idea of a split role for Aris and Hal Bond. My intention was to show that I had no objection to Aris per se, but to the process that was being rushed ahead by the board just three days after Hal Bond had resigned.

Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-22-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast