Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    I am very sorry that Sasha Starr continues to provide incorrect interpretations of my words. As I explained to him more than once during our conversations, I did not agree to participate in a one-on-one discussion with Vadim only because of my concern that this discussion would deteriorate our relationship, which is not a desirable result, no matter the outcome of this election. To say that I was not prepared to debate is untrue, and intended to create an inaccurate impression of myself and display it to other voting members.
    Victor, let's set the record straight once and for all.

I've called to invite you to participate in the Saturday's IBM TV Chess Show. You told me that unless Aris would be there you decline to participate with Vadim only, one on one. I was surprised because in my opinion it is easier to have one opponent not two. When I've asked you to explain your position you told me that "this discussion would deteriorate our relationship". Fine, but the fact remains: you've refused to participate. So what is here untrue??? Please explain.

And, BTW, where is your so called "relationship" now?
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; 02-22-2021 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Email from Vladimir Drkulec
    Responding to Email from Egis and copying the CFC Board of Directors

Sun 2021-01-24 1:49 AM

The resolution is not as of yet on the table. You are not presiding over this online email discussion. You do not get to determine the order of the discussion. There are resolutions that predate yours that are still on the table and have not been disposed of. Whatever the situation was before I was contacted by a number of influential voting members and they are now involved for good or ill.

To claim that I am breaching confidentiality of the board when I was simply trying to comply with Canadian law is not a good look on you. I did not go far enough upon further study of the law. I will remedy that tonight.

129(1) A director of a corporation ceases to hold office when the director dies, resigns, is removed in accordance with section 130 or becomes disqualified under section 126.

Effective date of resignation
    (2)A resignation of a director becomes effective at the time a written resignation is sent to the corporation or at the time specified in the resignation, whichever is later.

Statement of director

• 131(1)Subject to the by-laws, a director is entitled to submit to the corporation a written statement giving reasons for resigning or for opposing the removal or replacement of the director if a meeting is called for that purpose.
    • Marginal note:Circulating statement
      (2)A corporation shall immediately give notice to the members of the statement in the manner referred to in section 162.
    • Marginal note:Statement to Director
      (3)A corporation shall immediately send a copy of the statement to the Director.
    • Marginal note:Immunity
      (4) No corporation or person acting on its behalf incurs any liability by reason only of complying with this section.

Marginal note:Filling vacancy

• 132(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), a quorum of directors may fill a vacancy among the directors, except a vacancy resulting from an increase in the number or the minimum or maximum number of directors provided for in the articles or a failure to elect the number or minimum number of directors provided for in the articles.
    • Marginal note:Calling meeting
      (2) If there is not a quorum of directors or if there has been a failure to elect the number or minimum number of directors provided for in the articles, the directors then in office shall without delay call a special meeting of members to fill the vacancy and, if they fail to call a meeting or if there are no directors then in office, the meeting may be called by any member.

Reading section 132 which appears to be poorly worded suggests that we may be required to hold a special meeting. I will probably consult Les and perhaps another lawyer for an opinion.

IF you persist in trying to impugn my integrity and claim that I breached ethics for simply trying to follow the statutory requirements to which we are all bound I will have to refer you to the voting members for disciplinary action. I would prefer not to do that.

I like Aris, and think he would be a great addition to the board but we do need to follow the letter of the law. We also need to follow the practical politics of the situation.

Haven't you breached Executive confidentiality by including Aris in this discussion by your logic, not mine.

The voting members have a right to know all of these details by statute. The voting members are the only authority who are above us in the corporate pecking order. Hal Bond's resignation is not a matter that we can simply pretend concerns only the board.

Is Hal Bond not still a voting member? It appears from the list of voting members that he is not. Did SWOCL not appoint him?

Hal Bond resigned three days ago. You seem to want to deal with this as if it were a trip to McDonalds.

I think maybe we should document this discussion to the executive forum rather than just email as it can get hard to follow all the follow ups. This will provide a cleaner timeline for this discussion.

Hal resigning has triggered a number of statutory requirements which I will have to deal with and which I have to deal with first before this discussion goes much further. I was not aware of them in full until XXXXXREDACTEDXXXXX started misinterpreting the provisions of the NFP Act in the voting members forum and so I looked once again at the provisions that are relevant.

I have to give notice to the Director which is presumably the Director of Corporations.

I will need everyone's contact information Address and Phone number and email address to provide an updated list to the Director.

I have published Hal Bond's letter on the voting members forum and I will send it out to the voting members. I am required to do this under Canadian law.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-22-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    And the first vote of the directors liked option 5 which was the suggested option provided by Hal Bond in his resignation letter of Hal Bond continuing as Zone president and Aris taking the FIDE rep position. This had enough votes to pass without my input. This required the voting members to approve the change in bylaw. I believe the result was 4-1-1 with me not expressing an opinion and you opposed..
    Reading my emails, I don't see any vote. Only expressions for support for options and discussions, what evolved towards final 5 supports and 1 (yours) not expressed...

added text for clarity:

the final support was not for option 5 but towards no split, and appointing Aris for a FIDE rep as per By-Laws (no splitting anything)
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; 02-22-2021 at 12:40 AM.
    .*-1

Default Team Canada

Dear colleagues, honourable Voting Members:

During the four weeks of the election campaign I had the privilege to reach out, personally and in groups, to more than thirty of you via Zoom, WhatsApp, or phone, and to even more via e-mail. From sea to shining sea, from Charlottetown to Victoria, you kindly shared with me your concerns. Concerns about support for dues-paying rank and file members who play chess at a club level. Concerns about assistance to local organizers. Concerns about fairness in distribution of both CFC flagship events and other marquee events among four major geographical regions of our great country. I answered your questions, provided information and source materials. I was already able to help your important projects on some occasions.

My published program resonated with you, the voters, and with the CFC grassroots. I was humbled to be endorsed by three distinguished members of the Canadian Women’s Olympiad teams, by a captain of a Canadian team playing in the World Corporate Ch., by the best Head of Delegation our World Youth contingents ever knew. The people who are household names in the international chess politics: the former FIDE Vice-President, the former Honourary Chairman of the FIDE Trainers' Commission, a founder of the renowned University of Baltimore at Maryland Chess program, legendary GMs and others endorsed me on their Facebook, as did some young up-and-coming players whose first steps in chess I was fortunate to nurture a decade ago. I am grateful for your widespread support. I welcome all endorsements, public and private. I call upon every CFC member to join me under a big tent with the Maple Leaf proudly painted on the top.

There is such a wealth of talented, intelligent, hard-working people who devote their time to chess at scholastic, club, and elite levels! Together, united, with the help of FIDE and in partnership with our biggest ally the USCF and other national federations, we can usher in a new golden age for chess in Canada. There is a place for everyone - Aris, Victor, Hal, Mahmud, Egis – for everyone who loves Canadian chess and is willing to put their considerable talents to serve the game we love. Everyone is welcome to do what his skills set allows. I am a consensus builder. Let us combine our efforts and pull together for the prosperity of Canadian chess!
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 02-22-2021 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Syntax

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I am only going by memory, but I seem to recall that it was very quickly established that Aris was fine filling the whole FIDE Rep position ............
    Not before Option 5 had four votes

Fri 2021-01-22 12:08 AM Egis though deemed sketchy

Thu 2021-01-21 6:09 PM Lyle (presumably PST maybe EST)

Thu 2021-01-21 5:47 PM Christina

Thu 2021-01-21 5:32 PM Fred

Thu 2021-01-21 4:22 PM My original email Options to deal with Hal Bond's resignation

First phone call from voting member 2021-01-20
    Tenth phone call from voting member 2021-01-21
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-22-2021 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Not before Option 5 had four votes

Fri 2021-01-22 12:08 AM Egis though deemed sketchy

Thu 2021-01-21 6:09 PM Lyle (presumably PST maybe EST)

Thu 2021-01-21 5:47 PM Christina

Thu 2021-01-21 5:32 PM Fred

Thu 2021-01-21 4:22 PM My original email Options to deal with Hal Bond's resignation
    So you treat opinions as votes?
    .*-1

[QUOTE=Vadim Tsypin;36654]Diana’s official FIDE card can be accessed here:
    https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2631717

Vadim,

I looked at Diana's official FIDE card, link to which you kindly provided. As per your suggestion, I would like to ask Diana few questions directly.

Diana,

Your first arbiter title (FIDE ARBITER) was registered in FIDE in September 2018, very shortly after latest FIDE elections and after Vadim was invited to FIDE Management Board. My questions are:

- did you attempt to apply for this title before 2018?
    - if not, what caused your decision to apply for it in 2018?
    - was at that time (in 2018) your nomination for FIDE Arbiter Title smoothly approved by CFC Executive?

Sincerely,

Victor Itkin.

Good morning Victor,

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post

Vadim,

I looked at Diana's official FIDE card, link to which you kindly provided. As per your suggestion, I would like to ask Diana few questions directly.

Diana,

Your first arbiter title (FIDE ARBITER) was registered in FIDE in September 2018, very shortly after latest FIDE elections and after Vadim was invited to FIDE Management Board. My questions are:

- was at that time (in 2018) your nomination for FIDE Arbiter Title smoothly approved by CFC Executive?

Sincerely,

Victor Itkin.
    As Mr. Mallon wrote so eloquently,
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    As a guess, I would say it was probably directed at you because she can't actually post here, not being a Voting Member.
    Indeed, my dear wife, not being a VM, is not able to post here directly. I am pleased to reproduce her answer below.

Default Requested reply from a party with no posting privileges

Dear Mr. Itkin,

I appreciate your sudden interest in my chess career.

Your second “inquiry” contains errors in fact and in law. Moreover, it includes so-called “loaded questions”, i.e. those that contain implicit assumptions benefiting the questioner. The use of such questions is objectionable and/or restricted in any court of law or deposition process.

However, I am sure that, like all esteemed Forum users, you have noble intentions, and it is just your complete lack of knowledge about international chess and especially FIDE “B06. Regulations for the Titles of Arbiters” that motivated you. I am always glad to help people learn more about chess, so I am answering your questions below. This will be my last comment on these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post

Diana,

Your first arbiter title (FIDE ARBITER) was registered in FIDE in September 2018, very shortly after latest FIDE elections and after Vadim was invited to FIDE Management Board.
    1) The FIDE Elections took place on *October 03, 2018*.

2) The FIDE Management Board was constituted on *November 09, 2018*.

3) There is a prescribed period for all player/ arbiter / trainer applications. They have to be received at least thirty (30) days before the General Assembly session. To arrive in time for the September 2018 FIDE Congress, my application had to be delivered to FIDE no later than August, about two months before Mr. Dvorkovich’s triumphal electoral win. My FA application was approved by the previous FIDE administration led by Mr. Makropoulos. :-)

My questions are:

Alas, these questions show complete lack of understanding how the arbiter title process works. Like players who need norms for an IM or GM titles, arbiters earn norms gradually over the years. It takes four distinct norms for an FA title and then four other, more complex, norms for an IA title.

A good place to start learning is
    3. Requirements for the title of FIDE Arbiter.
    All of the following:

3.1 Thorough knowledge of the Laws of Chess, the FIDE Regulations for chess competitions and the Swiss Pairing Systems.
    3.2 Absolute objectivity, demonstrated at all times during his activity as an arbiter.
    3.3 Sufficient knowledge of the at least one official FIDE language.
    3.4 Skills to operate electronic clocks of different types and for different systems.
    3.5 Experience as Arbiter in at least three (3) FIDE rated events (these can be either national or international) and attendance of at least one (1) FIDE Arbiters’ Seminar and successful passing (at least 80%) an examination test set up by the Arbiters Commission.
    FIDE rated event valid for a norm is considered any tournament with minimum 10 players in case that it is played with Round Robin system, with minimum 6 players in case that it is played with Double Round Robin system and with minimum 20 players in case that it is played with Swiss system.
    3.6 The title of the FIDE Arbiter for each of the IBCA, ICCD, IPCA shall each be equivalent to one FA norm.
    3.7 For a candidate, being a match arbiter in an Olympiad is equivalent to one FA norm. No more than one such norm will be considered for the title.
    3.8 Being Arbiter in any FIDE rated Rapid or Blitz events, with minimum thirty (30) players and nine (9) rounds, shall be equivalent to one (1) FA norm. No more than one such norm from Rapid or Blitz tournaments will be considered for the title.
    3.9 Attendance of one (1) FIDE Arbiters Seminar and successful passing (at least 80%) an examination test set by the Arbiters Commission, shall be equivalent to one (1) FA norm. Not more than one (1) such norm will be considered for the title.
    3.10 Applicants from federations which are unable to organize any tournaments valid for titles or rating, may be awarded the title on passing an examination set by the Arbiters’ Commission.
    Several of my colleagues, respected International Arbiters, have writing privileges in your Forum. Mark Dutton, Stephen Wright, Aris Marghetis, Pierre Dénommée and the others would be able to educate you on this topic, should you be interested in joining our ranks and pursuing arbiters' titles and licenses,

Goodbye.

--
    Diana Tsypina
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 02-22-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spell checker

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Since 2018, FIDE was completely reorganized as a modern, transparent, democratic, business-like sports federation, which allowed it to attract reputable Western sponsors. FIDE has a fully funded budget, audited annually by Ernst & Young. Every year - 2019, 2020, 2021 - we process financial aid applications from National Chess Federations, event organizers, seniors, indigent players, women's groups, scholastic associations, and others; we provide the support requested and distribute the corresponding grants. I believe that my being a core member of the FIDE management makes me the best person to advocate for Canada's interests, to help Canadians navigate support / development programs, and to prepare aid applications.
    There is a wealth of opportunities out there. FIDE is the national federations' mentor, protector and benefactor.

Please see this short slide for the examples of multinational companies whose sponsorship money could be contributing to success and growth of your chess club, your coaching, your arbiter career, for IM and GM norms for your students, for paid travel opportunities for your students and yourselves.

slide-partners-v2.pdf002-slide-partners-v2-images.jpg

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast