Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

To Sasha - I very much agree that the FIDE Rep position is definitely important as are the other CFC Executive roles.

That said we do have rules on how these positions are elected and they are different for AGM vs by-elections. If there is an appetite by the Assembly to change these rules then by all means let's do what's required to change them.

But no - I do NOT agree that it is legitimate to change the AGM procedure or the by-election on the fly without following the approved amending formula. Members deserve certainty and I do believe the current formula also does not strap them into a permanently unchangeable framework that's unamendable. A constitution's whole reason for existence is to facilitate the goals that the members believe the society is created to achieve - it is NOT to be an ironclad suit of armor. I further don't believe the FIDE Rep position is uniquely of special importance vs the rest of the Executive. The Chess Federation of Canada exists for a stated purpose that our members agree on and where the situation is deemed by us to have changed to the extent we need new rules it's our right and our duty to make those changes to insure we have the governance tools to accomplish what we're here for.

Again our bylaws are definitely amendable though not EASILY amendable which I think is totally in line with what constitutional documents are expected to be. OUR constitution is by no means perfect but I've seen several far worse than ours even though I have strong reservations about our current document particularly with respect to the changes wrought due to the 2014 when the mandate was CLEARLY to make MINIMAL changes to our bylaws to comply with the new Act and instead we got several changes that went well beyond what was needed for strict NFP Act compliance.

If I go any further I'm going to get into a Political Science lecture which is probably not what all of us need right now!
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 02-21-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    You are just so wrong. Show me in the articles where the board has the right to fill the board position. That is what the NFP act requires. Here are the articles. The bylaw for officers refers to general officers and not members of the board unless you are believing that the board can remove someone with a simple majority vote from the board of directors. We have in our handbook policies that the president fills vacancies on the board. We have in our bylaws that the board can appoint officers but we really don't have any authorization for replacement except through an election unless you are trying to stretch words beyond their first intention.

https://www.upcounsel.com/corporate-officer-definition
    Overview of Corporate Officers

Corporate officers are high-level management executives hired by the business's owner or board of directors. Examples include the organization's chief executive officer (CEO), chief financial officer (CFO), treasurer, president, vice president, and secretary. Officers can also be shareholders and directors but don't necessarily have to be. They have the authority to act on behalf of the corporation, including contract authority. A corporation can have any number of officers and an individual can hold any number of offices. In fact, in small corporations, the same person may hold every office.
    An officer can be terminated by the board of directors at any time, though whether it must be done for cause and the number of votes needed for removal vary depending on company bylaws. If an officer resigns, the company is still responsible for prior contractual obligations entered into by that person.

SCHEDULE A

Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act)

Form 4031 - Articles of Continuance (transition)

To be used only for a continuance from the Canada Corporations Act, Part II.

1. Current name of the corporation
    THE CHESS FEDERATION OF CANADA
    LA FEDERATION CANADIENNE DES ECHECS

2. If a change of name is requested, indicate proposed corporate name

3. Corporation number

4. The province or territory in Canada where the registered office is situated
    ONTARIO

5. Minimum and maximum number of directors (for a fixed number, indicate the same number in both boxes)
    Minimum number 3
    Maximum number 10

6. Statement of the purpose of the corporation
    The purpose(s) of the corporation is:

To promote and encourage generally in Canada, the knowledge, study and playing of the game of chess, and to this end, and without restricting the generality of the foregoing.

1. TO promote the formation and development of a Provincial Association, in each Province of Canada, where such Association does not presently exist, and to this end, to cooperate with existing clubs and leagues within such Province;

2. TO cooperate with existing Provincial Associations, in all matters pertaining to the development of organized chess within their Province, and to this end to encourage matches, tournaments, competitions, correspondence or telegraphic or radio matches, at all levels in Canada, and simultaneous, blindfold or other displays by chess masters;

3. TO maintain appropriate affiliation with the international chess organization, known as the Fédération International des Echecs, hereinafter referred to as FIDE;

4. TO publish and maintain the Laws of Chess in Canada, consonant with any decisions in such matters published by FIDE, and the Rules and Regulations (excepting local Rules and Regulations not in conflict with them) governing chess competitions held under the auspices of the Federation, or any of its affiliates, or its authorized appointees;

5. TO protect and foster the interests of Canadian Chess players, as far as possible, in the field of national and international chess competition;

6. TO encourage with all means within its power, and at its discretion, the publication of a medium from which chess players may learn of the progress of chess in Canada, and which will be the official organ of the Federation for the publication of its decisions;

7. TO raise funds in such a manner and to such an extent as it may deem necessary or desirable, to enable it to carry out its objectives;

8. TO expend any funds in its possession or under its control, in any manner or degree, in its entire discretion, for the furtherance of the general objectives of the Federation;

9. TO establish and maintain, in co-operation with its membership, a rating system, which shall constitute an official record from time to time, of relative chess ability throughout Canada.

7. Restrictions on the activities that the corporation may carry on, if any
    None

8. The classes, or regional or other groups, of members that the corporation is authorized to establish
    The corporation is authorized to establish Class A members and Class B members as follows:

The Class A members shall be entitled to receive notice of and to attend all meetings of the members of the Corporation and each Class A member shall have one (1) vote at each such meeting, except for meetings at which only members of another class are entitled to vote separately as a class.
    Except as otherwise provided by the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, S.C. 2009, c.23 the Class B members shall not be entitled to receive notice of, attend or vote at meetings of the members of the Corporation.

9. Statement regarding the distribution of property remaining on liquidation
    Any property remaining on liquidation of the Corporation, after discharge of liabilities, shall be distributed to one or more qualified donees within the meaning of subsection 248(1) of the Income Tax Act.

10. Additional provisions, if any
    See schedule 1

11. Declaration
    I hereby certify that I am a director or an authorized officer of the corporation continuing into the NFP Act.
    I rely on Lyle Craver's assessment on this matter:

- our bylaws say very clearly how a resigned director is to be replaced and that the method chosen does not follow those.

You are just so wrong. Show me in the articles where the board has the right to fill the board position. That is what the NFP act requires. Here are the articles. The bylaw for officers refers to general officers and not members of the board unless you are believing that the board can remove someone with a simple majority vote from the board of directors. We have in our handbook policies that the president fills vacancies on the board. We have in our bylaws that the board can appoint officers but we really don't have any authorization for replacement except through an election unless you are trying to stretch words beyond their first intention.

https://www.upcounsel.com/corporate-officer-definition
    Overview of Corporate Officers

Corporate officers are high-level management executives hired by the business's owner or board of directors. Examples include the organization's chief executive officer (CEO), chief financial officer (CFO), treasurer, president, vice president, and secretary. Officers can also be shareholders and directors but don't necessarily have to be. They have the authority to act on behalf of the corporation, including contract authority. A corporation can have any number of officers and an individual can hold any number of offices. In fact, in small corporations, the same person may hold every office.
    An officer can be terminated by the board of directors at any time, though whether it must be done for cause and the number of votes needed for removal vary depending on company bylaws. If an officer resigns, the company is still responsible for prior contractual obligations entered into by that person.

The power to fill vacancies in the board of directors is in the Law, it shouldn't be in the Articles of Incorporation or in the Bylaws. With a bylaw, the VM can revoke the board of directors the power to fill vacancies.

The site that you are citing is specific to US for profit corporations and has no effect in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by NFP Law
    132 (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), a quorum of directors may fill a vacancy among the directors, except a vacancy resulting from an increase in the number or the minimum or maximum number of directors provided for in the articles or a failure to elect the number or minimum number of directors provided for in the articles.

Member filling vacancy

(5) The by-laws may provide that a vacancy among the directors shall be filled only by a vote of the members, or by a vote of the members of any class or group having an exclusive right to elect one or more directors if the vacancy occurs among the directors elected by that class or group.

Blog Entries

A vacancy created by the removal of a director of a CNCA corporation may be filled at the meeting of the members at which the director is removed or, if not so filled, may be filled by the remaining directors. Generally, a quorum of directors may fill a board vacancy, except where the vacancy results from an increase in the number of directors provided for in the articles or a failure to elect the number of directors provided for in the articles. Such vacancies must be filled by the members at a special meeting.

This situation did not fill the requirement for the directors to fill the spot as loss of the FIDE rep did not drop the number below the number of directors in the articles which is between 3 and 10. The number dropped to six. I realized that the language would make an appointment to the board murky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The power to fill vacancies in the board of directors is in the Law, it shouldn't be in the Articles of Incorporation or in the Bylaws. With a bylaw, the VM can revoke the board of directors the power to fill vacancies.

The site that you are citing is specific to US for profit corporations and has no effect in Canada.
    Miller Thomson is a Canadian firm. The second quote is from the Canadian government.

It says that power has to be specified in the articles. It is not specified in the articles. Hence the right way forward is to call a special meeting of the members.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is a very entertaining discussion on the rules to replace resigned executive, however now it is too little too late, the Gin is out of the bottle.
    Maybe Hal Bond should have find out first which rules ought to be used. Who knows, maybe he would have postponed his resignation?
    However now please get all your courage, bite the bullet and just VOTE.

Dear executives, please enlighten us regarding who is the best candidate in your opinion!

Sasha Starr, VM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is a very entertaining discussion on the rules to replace resigned executive, however now it is too little too late, the Gin is out of the bottle.
    Maybe Hal Bond should have find out first which rules ought to be used. Who knows, maybe he would have postponed his resignation?

Dear executives, please enlighten us regarding who is the best candidate in your opinion!

Sasha Starr, VM.
    If rules weren't followed and there is a mechanism to go back and ensure they are, then it should be taken.

A vacancy created by the removal of a director of a CNCA corporation may be filled at the meeting of the members at which the director is removed or, if not so filled, may be filled by the remaining directors. Generally, a quorum of directors may fill a board vacancy, except where the vacancy results from an increase in the number of directors provided for in the articles or a failure to elect the number of directors provided for in the articles. Such vacancies must be filled by the members at a special meeting.

This situation did not fill the requirement for the directors to fill the spot as loss of the FIDE rep did not drop the number below the number of directors in the articles which is between 3 and 10. The number dropped to six. I realized that the language would make an appointment to the board murky.

Irrelevant because no director has been removed. A removal is a termination by the VM. A resignation is not a removal.

You received a response from me on the voting members forum

There was no interference from the executive. Hal Bond's decision was appealed to the board of directors. It is not interference when it is your job to decide on the case.

The board of directors is the ultimate appeal court within the CFC unless or until you go to FIDE or an actual court of law.

There was a way for the case to go forward without the CFC's approval by applying directly to FIDE. A successful application after we refused would make us look very bad. We would appear to be working to block the advance of a francophone woman. Not a good look for us. I am not afraid of a fight on social media but I would not touch this kind of stinky meat case with a ten foot pole and try to defend it. And my duty would be to publicly defend it.

I am not afraid to look bad to whoever has to thwart certain people because they are afraid to sign their name and hope the CFC will do their dirty work for them. Dealing a jack from the back of the pack, they said you lose again (am I going to be the only one who knows that reference?). Cue line from "The Usual Suspects". If this application fails I take the hit and the new FIDE rep gets to say it was that darn president, what can I do?

The FQE also asked us to look at this and make the right judgment based on the rules as written and not as some individual on the arbiters commission might have wished the rule was written.

Make no mistake, this would have ended up in a court of law where the letter of the FIDE rule, with every modifying comma significant in whether we were engaged in discrimination.

In all such cases we need to refrain from a conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict. A successful application means more competition for the person making the decision and the members of the arbiters commission working towards dismissal of this application at the CFC level. Add in the clear animosity angle and this is not a hill that I would be willing to die on and for. If it is a bad application reject it and blame that idiot Vlad Drkulec and the board members who can read English and see that the application well may succeed and who don't see success as some kind of threat. Think of every arbiter as an element of our infrastructure. We need more of them. We need more women arbiters so young girls can see that this is a reasonable activity for them to engage in.

There are many aspects of this case which are troubling from the point of view of the executive. The application was clearly marked pending time served or some such at the very top. We were provided with the FIDE statute which may be poorly written but we read the rule as written and it seemed that we should not be acting as a gatekeeper to prevent a Canadian from advancing, particularly a Canadian woman when I had just attended a seminar by the Canadian Olympic Committee on the best practices for non-profit NSO's required if we wanted to stay in the good graces of the IOC and the COC. A court case would hang on the rules as written which everyone admits (even the people on the arbiters commission) are badly written. The IOC and by delegation the COC had mandated that we integrate more women into the ranks of referees, umpires, line judges for the other sports and arbiters for chess.

I submit that the two IAs, two or three NAs, on the board came to the conclusion that their conscience guided them towards.

If some guy on the arbiters commission doesn't like it, blame it on Canada.

It is very rarely that I can work in references to Al Stewart, The Usual Suspects, and South Park into one post.
    Vlad, I think we have discussed many of these points during the "appeal". Looking back I have also wrote to directors that handling of the "appeal" was way improper. (Learnt a lot since then.)

I don't wanna to dissect again but this:

[B]The FQE also asked us to look at this and make the right judgment based on the rules as written and not as some individual on the arbiters commission might have wished the rule was written.[B]

Do you think that a little bit the influence and a release of confidential information?

What about the request of other opinions during the debate? What have you told?

Also, throwing by you the discrimination argument in the debate...
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Sasha Starr, VM.
    I believe that Victor Plotkin is a good candidate but Vadim Tsypin is a great candidate. Vadim has a very ambitious platform which will transform our relationship to FIDE. I believe that there have been years of neglect of the relationship with FIDE which was reflected by the regular disrespect which we suffered in several incidents over the years and past months which I will not belabour.

The good news is that we are at a unique moment where we can be embraced by FIDE. Vadim is very highly regarded at FIDE and being the CFC delegate to FIDE will put the icing on the cake. To presume that having two people at FIDE will be an advantage is a bit naive. Two people would slow Vadim down and it would weaken the incentive for FIDE to grant their help as readily. Even if Vadim could enthusiastically continue to support the CFC, they would say, "Vadim, get real. These Canadians rejected you and slapped away the hand of friendship that we have extended them. There are so many other countries who don't bite the hand that feeds them. Lets attend to them first."

I am getting a steady stream of endorsements of Vadim by email, on facebook and elsewhere from high FIDE officials. Not electing him will be perceived as a bit of a thumb in the eye to FIDE not unlike what they experienced fairly regularly with Hal Bond. My suggestion if you want two people working at FIDE that you elect Vadim and then have Victor apprentice with Vadim as our masters representative. I already have an interesting project which they can work on regarding a cooperation with setting up several championship series between Canada with CIS Countries, namely Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. I have not had the chance to discuss this with Vadim but it seems very promising for our Canadian players.

If there is any doubt, I am supporting Vadim in this election. I am supporting adding Patricia to the board.

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast