Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I have read this complete thread (at least twice and some places several times - and again, in my view, Vadim does not have a "conflict of interest" if elected). I have also read Aris's resignation e-mail. As I stated earlier, I have indicated that I supported Vadim, at least until my mind was changed by other submissions. First, I regret that Aris has resigned as he was obviously an excellent candidate however I understand his reasoning. We have two "very" strong candidates remaining for the position sought. I'm certain that I don't need to remind everyone that the most important issue here is the "long-term benefit to the CFC", not-withstanding that we have two able candidates. Aris brings up strong points where I would appreciate the candidates comments on a couple of questions which, for me will likely decide my final vote. I am hopeful that these questions will also assist the Directors to arrive at an informed final decision. I'm not looking for a long-winded explanation, but sufficient information to explain your position:

1) There is a saying that there is "strength in numbers". In other words, would it be of benefit or a detriment to the CFC to have Vadim in his current position and Victor as CFC Representative or is it of greater benefit to the CFC to have Vadim filing both his current FIDE position and CFC representative ?

2) Can and would both Candidates work together for the benefit of the CFC if Victor was elected ?

3) Vadim, of what I've read, I understand that there is a concern that as an employee of FIDE, if there was a situation which may be averse to the CFC but of corresponding benefit to FIDE, that you would be caught in a quandary where you may not be in a position to support the CFC. I would be interested in your comment.

4) Victor, Vadim has a strong relationship with Dvorkovich which should also be of great benefit to the CFC Representative for "getting things done". I note that in your presentation, that you have not always agreed with Dvorkovich's position and policies. In my view, it will be very important for the CFC Representative to have a cordial relationship with the President of FIDE. Can you please comment.

Of course, it is up to either or both of you to decide whether to respond to these questions however I am hopeful that you will as I am frankly uncertain of my vote at this point.

Lloyd
    I would like to answer the questions from Lloyd's post, 2 and 4.

2. As I posted in my platform (at the very beginning of this thread) "If elected, I will not hesitate to ask for help and advice from Vadim Tsypin (who is very close to the current FIDE leadership) in certain situations." I don't like Sasha Starr's interpretation of what I am saying, I will not heavily rely on him in my contact with the FIDE if elected. I respect Vadim's dedication to Canadian chess and I am pretty positive that we will be able to build a positive relationship, even after this election campaign.

4. As I mentioned in my platform, I predicted Dvorkovich's election victory and was overall pleased with this result. I fully understand the importance of a strong relationship with the FIDE and will do my best to achieve this. At the same time, this doesn't mean that I will automatically support all of Dvorkovich's decisions.

My concern is that if Vadim wins this election, the CFC's support for every decision made by Dvorkovich will be guaranteed, and we will lose our independence; we are already heading in this direction. Vlad Drkulec has provided several non-Canadian endorsements for Vadim, which I think are not only completely irrelevant, but also counter-productive. Every independent country should reject foreign influences on any elections, including that of the CFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is a very entertaining discussion on the rules to replace resigned executive, however now it is too little too late, the Gin is out of the bottle.
    Maybe Hal Bond should have find out first which rules ought to be used. Who knows, maybe he would have postponed his resignation?
    However now please get all your courage, bite the bullet and just VOTE.
    Agreed! We should all vote for FIDE Representative. This is no doubt that this vote is apparently legal. The Executive may have filled the vacancy, but they are not obligated to do so. Maybe this motion could have been worded in a better way. We are doing what VM should do: elect directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    At various times the executive put forward several measures including one that would have split the job of FIDE rep between Hal Bond and Aris Marghetis and required a change of bylaw without explicitly changing the bylaw. This could not be done without going to the voting members for approval.
    Vlad, it was you who presented almost the same questions to directors as you used in the poll later. The directors were working things out at their pace, and reached the agreement. Formally, I submitted the motion for approval to transform the discussion to the material. You can continue how things were bulldozed by you since then.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    From my earlier post:

The position of FIDE representative is of such importance, directly affecting so many Canadiens - players, arbiters, etc., that it is much better to have as wide body of CFC Members as possible to participate in the decision making process. If true, then Voting Members' Assembly is much more representative body then six executives. Most of them don't have any experience in the International Chess politics anyway.

Sasha Starr, VM.
    Are you suggesting that the next time any decision or appeal shall be discussed as openly as possible by Voting members as well?

If you don't trust as a voting member your elected directors (Executives), then you shall move forward with appropriate motions.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clark View Post
    The issue in the post you quoted isn't involving the VMs, it's contacting a subset of them to ask their opinion, followed by an informal poll that wasn't announced to decide direction. The president shouldn't be reaching out to VMs of his choosing to solicit opinions, either it's a matter for the VMs, or it isn't.
    Clark, the poll was posted without any initial information to directors, whom were discussing the matter and coming to the conclusion.
    .*-1

You are just so wrong. Show me in the articles where the board has the right to fill the board position. That is what the NFP act requires. Here are the articles. The bylaw for officers refers to general officers and not members of the board unless you are believing that the board can remove someone with a simple majority vote from the board of directors. We have in our handbook policies that the president fills vacancies on the board. We have in our bylaws that the board can appoint officers but we really don't have any authorization for replacement except through an election unless you are trying to stretch words beyond their first intention.
    Vlad, you see how much confusion is in the interpretation of the fundamental Articles and By-Laws. Throw in the legacy Handbook and we're will discuss till the end of the world.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Vlad, it was you who presented almost the same questions to directors as you used in the poll later. The directors were working things out at their pace, and reached the agreement. Formally, I submitted the motion for approval to transform the discussion to the material. You can continue how things were bulldozed by you since then.
    And the first vote of the directors liked option 5 which was the suggested option provided by Hal Bond in his resignation letter of Hal Bond continuing as Zone president and Aris taking the FIDE rep position. This had enough votes to pass without my input. This required the voting members to approve the change in bylaw. I believe the result was 4-1-1 with me not expressing an opinion and you opposed. This necessitated talking to the voting members. And so we got on that train and it rolled down the tracks and we got to this spot we are in now. It was the first vote. It would be binding on me. It required approval of the voting members. I sought that approval. Voting members started contacting me because Hal contacted them in some cases. If you want to blame someone for Pandora's box, perhaps you can talk to Hal Bond. And don't give me any more canard about board confidentiality. As soon as you raise the matter outside of the board you pierce confidentiality. I am just responding to what you wrote.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post
    I rely on Lyle Craver's assessment on this matter:

- our bylaws say very clearly how a resigned director is to be replaced and that the method chosen does not follow those.
    Then it should be easy to point exactly where in the bylaw it says that.

Egis was very adamant that it should say director and not officer or it means the person is not a director.

We can appoint two directors. The most democratic way forward was to consult the voting members, particularly when the option that had the votes required a change of bylaw.

Checkmate.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-21-2021 at 11:16 PM.

... If you want to blame someone for Pandora's box, perhaps you can talk to Hal Bond. ...
    Seriously people, could we be any more ineffective (angry sarcasm) than blaming someone who RESIGNED?

This is what I've published earlier:

"Originally Posted by Sasha Starr

I've been accused already by a few VMs of attacking fellows VMs etc. for disagreeing with me. I've never had any such intentions.
    In fact all this affair is hardly passing a smell test. Hal's resignation letter, an attempt to make Aris his heir, a race between Aris and Vadim, then Victor is getting there and Aris resigning...

However let me reiterate where I stand without attacking anybody:

Vadim's background in chess governance, including being a core member of the new FIDE management team since the 2018 FIDE elections, makes him the best candidate for this position. Only Vadim will be able to open the door wide for Canada into world chess and to bring exciting opportunities for Canadian players, coaches, and organizers. His campaign already has widespread support in all provinces and has been endorsed by well-respected chess professionals on the CFC site and in social media.

Victor Plotkin is in the right spot as the Men's team Captain, his skills set is good for that. Were he to be elected Canada delegate, he would become one of 195 mostly nameless delegates who stand in line with empty hands for four years in a row and are never given anything for their countries apart from an offer or two during the FIDE election year. Realistically, with Victor the delegate Canada will always be behind Kosovo, Burkina Faso or Venezuela in access to any FIDE help. Victor is on record in his electoral program stating that if he were elected, he would rely on Vadim Tsypin and would seek his help dealing with FIDE. Doesn't this tell you everything? Why have a second-hand article when you can own a genuine item?!

Vadim is already at the FIDE's highest table where all important issues - budgets, event bids, regulations - are decided upon. Shall not Canada literally leap at this chance and embrace Vadim as its most capable advocate (see: China WCCC letter, disabled player transfer, Para Olympiad, wild card in World Youth Online, all-expense-paid trip for young players to the Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup, etc.) ?!

I understand the tribalism in political process, and chess is no exception. And if there were two approximately equally qualified candidates either choice is OK. But today's situation is not the case...
    Our choice without tribalism issues is an easy one!"

Sasha Starr, VM.
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; 02-21-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast