Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Dear Voting Members,

In the CV provided here by Vadim, it is stated that Vadim is a Vice President of the CMA, which answers my Question 3 above. The CFC has commercial contracts with the CMA.
    There is a conflict of interest here and it is incumbent upon all of you to safeguard our federation. It is your duty to do so.
    So, through you President Vlad, I am requesting that either Vadim resign from CMA or he must resign from CFC voting members privilege.

Thank you
    Mahmud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Dear Voting Members,

In the CV provided here by Vadim, it is stated that Vadim is a Vice President of the CMA, which answers my Question 3 above. The CFC has commercial contracts with the CMA.
    There is a conflict of interest here and it is incumbent upon all of you to safeguard our federation. It is your duty to do so.
    So, through you President Vlad, I am requesting that either Vadim resign from CMA or he must resign from CFC voting members privilege.

Thank you
    Mahmud
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud
    3- Are you currently a governor or a management member of any CFC rival association or organization?

You are under some misapprehensions of the facts.

The CMA is not a rival association or organization.

A conflict of interest has to be declared. Being an officer or member of the board of the CMA is not a conflict of interest.

The CFC does not have commercial contracts with the CMA.

Having commercial contracts with the CMA would not prevent someone from being a voting member or on the board of directors of the CFC.

Vadim is a voting member by virtue of the fact that he was nominated by the FQE as one of their three voting members. We do have agreements in place with the FQE. Are you suggesting that any voting member from the FQE is somehow illegitimate because we have such an agreement?

If having some relationship with the CMA was an automatic conflict of interest there would be many of the voting members that would need to resign as a number of them teach chess for the CMA.

EDIT: Actually they would have to declare a conflict of interest, they wouldn't have to resign.

The CMA is an organization which the CFC often works with.

I myself have directed tournaments for the CMA in Windsor because parents asked me to.

I believe at one point we had a tournament that was both a YCC and a CMA event at the same time and I directed it and organized it.

I believe that CFC Youth Coordinator Christina Tao may have also organized a CMA event or two at some point. I am pretty sure that I directed at least one or two for her.

The CMA hires many chess players to teach for them. That is not a conflict of interest. Our interests are not opposed, they are complementary. They tend to organize tournaments for children which are even sometimes CFC rated like the North American Youth Chess Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Hi Vadim,

Thank you for putting your name forward and thank you for disclosing that you are "a core member of the new FIDE management team". Not withstanding your claimed chess activities, I have three questions for you.
    Hello Mahmud,

I am pleased to see your keen interest in the CFC FIDE Representative election. For the Voting Members’ benefit, I am always glad to answer questions that are asked in a polite manner. I am confident that this discussion will open the eyes of the Canadian chess public. A constructive dialog and evidence-based verified information will help Canadians to learn the truth about new FIDE, including the new structure codified in the FIDE Charter adopted at the Extraordinary General Assembly in Abu Dhabi on February 28, 2020.

1- Does not this disqualify you from representing Canada? To my mind, you are clearly in a conflict of interest position. This should be clear to you and to the voting members. So, which hat will you be wearing and which interest will you be advancing? FIDE or CFC?
    The answer is simple and straightforward – it doesn’t. FIDE unites 195 National Chess Federations (NCFs). FIDE and the NCFs have shared and aligned interests; they are not on the opposing sides. The FIDE Mission spelled out in the new Charter makes development of chess and strengthening the national federations FIDE’s explicit goals. Improving chess players’ social conditions and well-being is yet another area where FIDE and NCFs work hand in hand.

A layperson that is not experienced in chess governance and international affairs might be surprised to learn that FIDE actually finances the national chess federations and the specific projects they put forward. The financing is done through the direct FIDE-NCF agreement, through the FIDE Development fund and through the funding that FIDE allocates to its four continents.

Each and every person working at FIDE – be it in a paid / unpaid Commission position, an appointed FIDE Council position, or an appointed management team position – remains a patriot, a representative of their national federation, and an efficient lobbyist for the country whose flag she or he is honoured to wear on their sleeve.

I suggest that anyone interested in this issue studies the FIDE Charter which specifically addresses the dual role of those FIDE Council members who are official representatives (delegates) for their federations. Similar provisions welcome participation of Member Federations’ representatives in other FIDE bodies.

The FIDE Council is “a strategic and oversight FIDE body with law-making and executive functions.” Some of the people appointed by the FIDE President to the Council, like my dear friends and colleagues Jiangchuan Ye and Gulkiz Tulay, are also the official FIDE representatives (delegates) from their respective countries, China and Turkey, and they work tirelessly to provide opportunities such as tournaments, seminars, player development for their home countries.

The FIDE Management Board is “the executive, operational and administrative body that assists the President in the day-to-day management of FIDE activities.” We are eleven (11) people appointed personally by the FIDE President and approved by the Council. This is the body that “manages ordinary activities and resources; coordinates current activities of officials, Commissions, offices and employees; provides draft budget; supervises implementation of the budget; approves contracts.

Several members of the FIDE Management Board who are the official FIDE representatives (delegates) from their respective countries.
    • GM Victor Bologan, FIDE Executive Director, is a delegate for Moldova.
    • GM Mohd Al-Mudahka, FIDE International Director, is a delegate for Qatar.
    • IO Berik Balgabaev, Advisor to the FIDE President, is a delegate for Kazakhstan.

They have made their respective federations very active in FIDE affairs and achieved many agreements that were mutually beneficial for FIDE and those countries.

I am privileged to work daily side-by-side with all these above-mentioned esteemed friends and colleagues, as well as many other FIDE officials who represent their countries in a dignified and highly efficient manner, such as FIDE Council General Secretary Enyonam Sewa “Noël” Fumey (delegate from Togo), FIDE Vice-President Michael Khodarkovsky (delegate for the United States of America), FIDE Vice-President Anastasia Sorokina (delegate for Belarus), FIDE Vice-President Mahir Mammedov (delegate for Azerbaijan), FIDE Vice-President Akaki Iashvili (delegate for Georgia). I am confident that I will be as efficient as they are to bring exciting new opportunities for Canadian players, coaches and organizers once the CFC Voting Members trust me with the position of a delegate from Canada.

2- Do you receive any compensation for your management position in FIDE?
    Since the President Arkady Dvorkovich’s 2018 electoral triumph, FIDE started its transformation into a transparent, open, democratic, streamlined institution that is modeled after the best Western corporations. We have a dedicated executive team. The executive compensation numbers are published in the FIDE budget (such as the 2021 budget, presented at the Dec 2020 General Assembly). As was reported to the FIDE Council at the time, the salaries for FIDE managers were cut across the board since the COVID-19 pandemic started in 2020, and remain at those reduced levels. Among other FIDE executives, I do receive compensation for my work.

3- Are you currently a governor or a management member of any CFC rival association or organization?
    I am not aware of the existence of any “CFC rival associations or organizations”.

If "yes" to either Question 2 or Question 3, then you must not be a CFC voting member either because it is also a conflict of interest.
    As I’ve already explained above, there is *no* conflict of interest, either from the FIDE side or from the CFC side. Both federations are partners working for the same objectives. I am puzzled by your statement that FIDE and the CFC are opponents; I suggest strongly that you study the Charter and other relevant FIDE documents.

Suffice it to say that the Chairman of the elected FIDE Constitutional Commission (CON), which reviews and oversees compliance with “FIDE Charter, Bylaws, Electoral Rules, Ethics and Disciplinary Code, Financial Rules”, is distinguished jurist and academic Roberto Rivello. Maitre Rivello is a delegate for Italy and he does a wonderful job promoting his country’s interests.

FIDE has the Code of Ethics; the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission is chaired by a renowned lawyer François Strydom (South Africa). The CFC has its Continuance papers properly filed with Corporations Canada.

I am in full compliance with both. Electing me to the CFC FIDE Representative position will be in full compliance with both. As already stated, I will look after Canada’s interests and will promote Canada’s agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Being an officer or member of the board of the CMA is not a conflict of interest.
    Vlad, in some cases it might be. Though it is not called a conflict of interest; just simple "interest". You might find that in the NFP Act.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    [*] GM Victor Bologan, FIDE Executive Director, is a delegate for Moldova.
    The FIDE website says differently

President/Delegate - Dodon, Igor
    Vice-President - Bologan, Victor

We know how fast HB was removed from the FIDE website, the above information is up to date, isn't?

Anyway, the nearest CFC elections not for a FIDE delegate.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Vlad, in some cases it might be. Though it is not called a conflict of interest; just simple "interest". You might find that in the NFP Act.
    I was addressing Mahmud's post. He used that terminology.

I was addressing Mahmud's post. He used that terminology.
    His terminology is good when dealing within FIDE.

"16.12 FIDE officials may not simultaneously hold another position within the organisation that creates a conflict of interest"

Probably you as a President shall contact the FIDE Ethic commission to get a confirmation that there would be no conflict of interest between " Secretary of the FIDE MB / Deputy Head of the TAD " and "Zonal President".
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    His terminology is good when dealing within FIDE.

"16.12 FIDE officials may not simultaneously hold another position within the organisation that creates a conflict of interest"

Probably you as a President shall contact the FIDE Ethic commission to get a confirmation that there would be no conflict of interest between " Secretary of the FIDE MB / Deputy Head of the TAD " and "Zonal President".
    Vernon Howard's
    SECRETS OF LIFE (R)

"THE POWER OF THEMASWOT

How many times have you found yourself involved with a person or
    event only to later regret it? This exercise keeps you out of
    trouble in the first place.

The whole idea is for you to be on guard against invitations and
    suggestions that look like fun at first but which turn out to be
    painful traps. A person will get you involved in something, then
    suddenly lose interest in it, leaving you with the responsibilities
    and even the debts. Such a person is a hit-and-run artist.

Employ the power of Themaswot. This special word was created to
    help you recognize a trap when meeting one.

Themaswot means, 'Themaswot makes the suggestions are the ones who
    must do the work, make the decisions and pay the money.' Let this
    be your attitude toward deceptive people. Stay away from their
    lures. Do not let them unload their follies onto you. Let their
    problems remain their problems. The person who causes grief is
    the person who must suffer from it and correct it. This is a
    Law of Life.

These sly invitations are far more numerous and dangerous than
    you may now see. Become aware of them; then let Themaswot keep
    you safe."

Practical Exercises for Inner Harmony, # 4

Go to the New Life Bookstore: https://nam03.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Visit the SECRETS OF LIFE Archives of Vernon Howard quotes:
    https://nam03.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Vernon Howard's
    SECRETS OF LIFE (R)

"THE POWER OF THEMASWOT

How many times have you found yourself involved with a person or
    event only to later regret it? This exercise keeps you out of
    trouble in the first place.

The whole idea is for you to be on guard against invitations and
    suggestions that look like fun at first but which turn out to be
    painful traps. A person will get you involved in something, then
    suddenly lose interest in it, leaving you with the responsibilities
    and even the debts. Such a person is a hit-and-run artist.

Employ the power of Themaswot. This special word was created to
    help you recognize a trap when meeting one.

Themaswot means, 'Themaswot makes the suggestions are the ones who
    must do the work, make the decisions and pay the money.' Let this
    be your attitude toward deceptive people. Stay away from their
    lures. Do not let them unload their follies onto you. Let their
    problems remain their problems. The person who causes grief is
    the person who must suffer from it and correct it. This is a
    Law of Life.

These sly invitations are far more numerous and dangerous than
    you may now see. Become aware of them; then let Themaswot keep
    you safe."

Practical Exercises for Inner Harmony, # 4

Go to the New Life Bookstore: https://nam03.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Visit the SECRETS OF LIFE Archives of Vernon Howard quotes:
    https://nam03.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
    “It seemed to K. as if at last those people had broken off all relations with him, and as if now in reality he were freer than he had ever been, and at liberty to wait here in this place usually forbidden to him as long as he desired, and had won a freedom such as hardly anybody else had ever succeeded in winning, and as if nobody could dare touch him or drive him away, or even speak to him, but — this conviction was at least equally as strong — as if at the same time there was nothing more senseless, more hopeless, than this freedom, this waiting, this inviolability.”
    ― Franz Kafka, The Castle

The Conflict of Interest provisions of the NFP Act are far more lenient then their counterpart in the Canada Business Corporations Act.

If CMA did not exist, all children in their program may be CFC due paying members playing CFC rated games instead of CMA rated games. When I was an FQE director, the board did notice that the actual transfer rate from CMA to actual due-paying FQE members involved in competitive chess was negligible. CMA produces titled players in small quantity. I doubt that either the CFC or the FQE could replace CMA if it closes tomorrow.

All that is required is a declaration of the Conflict of Interest and to abstain in votes that could affect CMA.

https://educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/i...-of-directors/

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast