Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 9. Any other business

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There are a lot of great Canadian chess stories. We have to start telling them.
    Nice to see a series of posts no one will disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I know this will seem corny, but my goodness, I so appreciate the last two posts above, where Egis posts a great Canadian chess story, and Vlad thanks him.

I hope we can get this "worst CFC meeting ever" over and done with, and REBUILD.
    I agree, we must rebuild together.

I guess the only place I can put this is here because the other threads are closed. I waited to vote until tomorrow (as stated, the vote was supposed to conclude tomorrow, February 26th. I didn't have a chance to vote. I find this a bit frustrating ...

I agree with Lloyd. I was able to vote on the first two motions, but The 'Point of order resolution' motion was closed too early. I wasn't able to vote on it. I believe this to be highly improper; a form of voter suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clarke View Post
    I agree with Lloyd. I was able to vote on the first two motions, but The 'Point of order resolution' motion was closed too early. I wasn't able to vote on it. I believe this to be highly improper; a form of voter suppression.
    Whats new? I'd like to see a poll done for the governors (surely we can do that, or is that out of order too?) on

"I believe the President's conduct, including his admission of entertaining the notion of a bribe in exchange for Hal Bond's removal as our FIDE Representative, his obfuscation and incessant name-calling, and his seemingly intentional refusals to deal with routine matters such as addressing a point of order in a timely manner" + closing of polls early, with people still voting

ie, a simple 'do you find this acceptable or no'. Surely, there are others that are concerned about matters above?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clarke View Post
    I have brought this to the attention of the Secretary (no answer yet). I suspect it was closed once Patricia Gamliel received a majority of possible votes -- however, it's not clear what next steps would have happened if the President's decision was overturned. As well, the vote had closed to within only a 2 vote difference.

I believe this was improper.

Fred

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I have brought this to the attention of the Secretary (no answer yet). I suspect it was closed once Patricia Gamliel received a majority of possible votes -- however, it's not clear what next steps would have happened if the President's decision was overturned. As well, the vote had closed to within only a 2 vote difference.

I believe this was improper.

Fred
    All votes were supposed to be finished at six. At least one ineligible voter (not a voting member) voted yes. The plurality was six votes at 6 pm if you strike the ineligible voter.

The worst part is that it was known in advance that the coming motion had flaws. Even publicly http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...6266#post36266

Pierre Dénommée
    02-15-2021, 09:08 PM

A simple majority is enough, but no vote on this subject is on the agenda. This is important because after such a vote, the VM may hold an election for the new position or let the Executive appoint someone.
    (the part to appoint by directors is granted already in Articles)
    .*-1

Two things:

1. My comment was not a slight at Lyle or anyone else for that matter. It was an observation which will hopefully result in a better format for announcing votes, times and dates of votes. Lyle, as I’m sure all of the Executive work very hard and I don't want to take away from that. I know Lyle's had a difficult last couple of weeks with not much of a break in his personal life.

2. I'd like to make a suggestion that the Executive consider appointing two (not sure what to call them), Auditors, Referee, Reviewers ??? to maintain watch on the forums when we have VM meetings so that we don’t get this type of “Battle Royale” affaire occur again. The process would be:

a) If someone says something offensive, disparaging, or whatever is deemed inappropriate, the two discuss it and determine whether it meets the “inappropriate guideline”;
    b) The Director/VM is given a written warning on the forum site identifying the inappropriate comment with an indication that if it happens again, that they will be disconnected from the Forum for the whole of the meeting;
    c) If there’s a second questionable posting, the two Referees would again confer and make the decision whether the posting violates the guideline. If it does, the Director/VM is advised and Chris Mallon is requested to remove the person from the forum.

This is a good opportunity for an Arbiter to get their feet wet in making difficult decisions. If the Executive decides this is a good idea, I’ll throw my hat in. I’m not a chess arbiter (I looked on the CFC website to see what the qualifications are but don’t see anything posted yet), but I am a golf referee (if that counts for anything). Something to consider.

Actually, I prefer Vlad's idea that we have our meetings via Zoom. Civility and Roberts Rules of Order would be easy to enforce.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast