Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The Conflict of Interest provisions of the NFP Act are far more lenient then their counterpart in the Canada Business Corporations Act.

If CMA did not exist, all children in their program may be CFC due paying members playing CFC rated games instead of CMA rated games. When I was an FQE director, the board did notice that the actual transfer rate from CMA to actual due-paying FQE members involved in competitive chess was negligible. CMA produces titled players in small quantity. I doubt that either the CFC or the FQE could replace CMA if it closes tomorrow.

All that is required is a declaration of the Conflict of Interest and to abstain in votes that could affect CMA.

https://educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/i...-of-directors/

To paraphrase a line from a Clint Eastwood movie. "A NFP has to know its limitations." Yes, we have one contractor/employee. We have to set priorities.

Warren Buffet suggests that people and corporations should come up with a list of their top 25 priorities or tasks and then rank those priorities in order of importance. Once satisfied with the ranking they should draw a line under number five on their list and then never again work on number six through twenty five and instead concentrate all of their attention on priority number one through five. Of course they should also periodically reevaluate their list of priorities and make changes that reflect the reality of their new situation much as we must reassess the situation on a chessboard as each move changes the character of the position.

All the people playing online chess may become CFC due paying members playing CFC rated games instead of Chess.com or lichess.org rated games.

The hard part is translating these modifiers of "may" and their inherent uncertainty from potentiality to actuality.

Hope is not a strategy and neither is coveting the results of someone else's labour. I know that you Pierre are not doing that but others in these threads are doing that.

Hello everyone, my name is Svitlana Demchenko, some of you may know me from youth events or the Woman Olympiad team. I don’t usually post on sites, but this seems to be an interesting discussion.

I’m lucky to know all three candidates, Aris, Victor, and Vadim as very good professionals, and people in general. I was privileged to travel for many tournaments in our country and internationally, but my hometown is Ottawa and I play regularly at the RA Club (or, rather, played, before the pandemic). Thus, I had many interactions over the years with Aris Marghetis and I respect him as a solid professional, who is very good at organizing and arbitrating chess tournaments for both CFC and CMA. I also had positive experiences with Victor Plotkin, who I know as a strong player and very professional team captain. I have witnessed Victor’s successful management of the men’s team at Batumi Olympiad and great leadership at the 2020 Online Olympiad for our team – he is amply qualified for that position.

However, for the position of CFC FIDE Representative, I would like to express my support for Vadim Tsypin. As I know, Vadim is part of FIDE management and has already taken many crucial actions that benefited our chess community, especially young players.

In my experience with him at many events, he was always helpful, kind, and very resourceful. At the 2019 World U-16 Youth Chess Olympiad in Turkey, Vadim had the job of the FIDE Technical Delegate. Still, however incredibly overloaded he was, Vadim always found time to help Team Canada. He made sure to see the team well before each round, took note of our requests, and resolved them all in no time. Another example was bringing Team Canada (all-expenses-paid!), to the 14th edition of the Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup in 2019, held in Kazakhstan. It was the first time ever that Canada was invited, and our participation only became possible because of Vadim’s stature at FIDE. This was the first time in many years that my teammates and I were able to participate in an international Rapid and Blitz event. Cynthia, Adam, Henry, and I absolutely loved our time at the VDC, thanks to Vadim’s endless care and attention. All four of us Canadian players saw with our own eyes how much respect and deference Vadim garners among his fellow FIDE executives, state and national federations’ officials, coaches, players, and the FIDE President.

Thinking about the next cohort of young players, wouldn’t it be great if they, too, could get the same support and opportunities that we did? I am sure that electing Vadim Tsypin as the CFC FIDE Representative will be a huge benefit to the Canadian youth, and the chess community as a whole.

Blog Entries

Thank you, Svitlana! Its great to see the younger generation getting involved in the CFC and its governance. When the time comes this will be yours, and Rohan's and Cynthia's and Adam's and Henry's to carry into the future for the benefit of generations to come. When I taught at university, I found my chess students were more articulate and able to express themselves clearly than many of my university students and this pattern continues with your post.

Aris' mini-bio:

Hello everyone, in the last couple of weeks for our family, with a death and three hospitalizations, I've been slow to post my bio for CFC FIDE Representative.

In the meantime, here's a link to my position at the FIDE Arbiters' Commission:

https://arbiters.fide.com/about-the-...aris-marghetis

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.

Hi Vadim,

I am pleased to see you are applying for this position.

Ever since you started organizing tournaments in Montreal in 2017, you helped the trend to have most Quebec tournaments registered in chess-results and become FIDE rated. You grew the number of tournaments especially for U20 players and ensured it had FIDE rated games. This helped a lot of young QC players acquire a FIDE rating and having a national ranking in the FIDE list. I think you brought a lot of value there and enabled positive changes.

I was happy to see you in Batumi, Georgia at the 2018 Chess Olympiads and noticed your energy and high engagement in helping Canada be well represented. I am certain that if you end up being the selected candidate, you will give it your 100%.

Best of luck!

Stay safe,
    NM & FIDE CM Maroun Tomb.

As the election approaches, I would like to put my two cents in the discussion.

I am new to the Canadian chess scene and I feel privileged that I received a very warm welcome from all the people I've met so far. Maybe I am naive but I believe that we have a friendly community bonded by our love to the game and desire for chess in Canada to develop and prosper.

I voted for the elections to be held, and I am happy to see that this decision led to three very worthy candidates coming forward. I've never met Aris in person but heard only good things about him and his organizational skills. I've met Victor when playing in GTA chess league and later was privileged to be a member of Canadian team under his captain guidance during the Online Olympiad in August, and I think highly of him too. They both play important roles in chess life of Canada and Ontario, and I thank them both for that.

However, for the CFC FIDE Representative position, Vadim is the best candidate in my opinion. He is very active and professional in regard to organizing things, and I know it from my experience of working with him within FIDE. But the most important thing is that he knows his way around FIDE and is always up to date with the latest developments, programs, tournaments, so Canadian chess can benefit from this. I don't think there is any conflict of interest because FIDE's and CFC's interests do not contradict, they coincide, and Vadim will be able to lobby CFC's interests in FIDE for the better of all of us.

Default Vadim Tsypin - Electoral platform

Vadim Tsypin
    Secretary of the FIDE Management Board.
    International Arbiter, International Organizer.
    Lifetime CFC member. Lifetime FQE member.

Platform for the Feb 2021 election of the CFC FIDE Representative

Honourable Voting Members,
    Dear chess friends and colleagues across Canada:

In compliance with the election procedures published by the CFC, I have filed an electoral platform with the CFC Secretary today, February 14. I am privileged to present my position to you here. Please find a PDF document attached.

Since 2018, FIDE was completely reorganized as a modern, transparent, democratic, business-like sports federation, which allowed it to attract reputable Western sponsors. FIDE has a fully funded budget, audited annually by Ernst & Young. Every year - 2019, 2020, 2021 - we process financial aid applications from National Chess Federations, event organizers, seniors, indigent players, women's groups, scholastic associations, and others; we provide the support requested and distribute the corresponding grants. I believe that my being a core member of the FIDE management makes me the best person to advocate for Canada's interests, to help Canadians navigate support / development programs, and to prepare aid applications.

Here are the key challenges that lie ahead for the CFC-FIDE relationship. I pledge to turn my immediate attention to them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Section 1

Built on Indigenous lands, Canada is a country striving for national unity: “the true North strong and free”, the most admired country in the world.

The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) counts its history since 1872 and was one of the FIDE founding members in 1924. Like our great country, our chess federation can prosper to the highest standards, especially given that one of FIDE mission statements is to “strengthen unity of national and regional chess federations throughout the world”.

At present, the Canadian Olympic Committee recognizes the CFC as a National Sport Organization. The CFC is involved with Sports and Tourism Canada largely because of the COC recognition. The CFC President’s hard work pursuing opportunities with Sports and Tourism Canada has led to local community sponsorships of tens of thousands dollars over the last few years. I can assure you, there is much more we can do, much more we can achieve, by working together as one, with one purpose!

All our seniors, all our juniors, all our Grandmasters will continue playing under the Maple Leaf. New synergies will lead to more projects and even to significant revenue growth for the CFC. This is my vision for the most crucial issue in the FIDE-CFC relationship that I will strengthen as a FIDE executive, a CFC Representative, and a proud Canadian.

Default Section 2

Information and communication is the key for success in the 21st century. There are significant initiatives and programs at FIDE that positively affect every federation. There are new events, both over-the-board and online, being planned every month. I will ensure a free and complete bi-directional flow of information between FIDE and the Canadian chess public. Never again will we lose an opportunity or miss a deadline. I will regularly inform the CFC Executive, the organizers, coaches and players of any new public announcements.

Default Section 3

FIDE is our friend, our mentor, our protector. The FIDE Mission lists as explicit goals the development of chess, strengthening of the national federations, and improving chess players’ social conditions. “GENS UNA SUMUS” is both FIDE’s official motto and the sentiment coming from my heart. We are to be One Family again!

FIDE actually finances national chess federations and the specific projects they put forward. The financing is done through direct bilateral agreements, through the FIDE Development fund, and through the funding that FIDE allocates to its four continents. FIDE has committed to the long-term funding of national federations through sustainable corporate sponsorship.

I will make sure that Canada is included in programs offered by FIDE. Funding might be available for club incorporation, for chess equipment purchases, for event organization and participation, for player training / coach hiring, for arbiter development. There are significant opportunities available through the FIDE Chess in Schools program. The objective of Chess in Schools is not to raise professional players but, rather, to provide young generations with a learning tool that would advance their social and educational development.

I will help the CFC to prepare and submit all program applications in a professional and timely way. Whenever clubs, players or organizers are eligible to apply individually, I will help any Canadian to understand FIDE requirements and to prepare a competitive application. It was a pleasure for me already to help an iconic Canadian event to submit an application for a grant under the FIDE Aid for Open Tournaments program earlier this month.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast