Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.2 - Discussion Items - National Events

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Bob Gillanders just copied me an email from CBC sports where they indicated an interest in streaming either the Canadian Open, Canadian Closed or both if they should happen this year.
    To do these properly we would need a commentary team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    To do these properly we would need a commentary team.
    Canadian GM Anna Burtasova is a long-time broadcast producer and former official of ChessCast, a company that specializes in live video broadcasts from major chess tournaments. ChessCast was designated by FIDE as official broadcaster of several Olympiads, World Cup, Grand Prix, Candidates events, as well as various World Championships.

Anna would be a perfect person to assemble and lead the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Canadian GM Anna Burtasova is a long-time broadcast producer and former official of ChessCast, a company that specializes in live video broadcasts from major chess tournaments. ChessCast was designated by FIDE as official broadcaster of several Olympiads, World Cup, Grand Prix, Candidates events, as well as various World Championships.

Anna would be a perfect person to assemble and lead the team.
    I think Anna would want to be playing as it would be a women's zonal and she is very interested in playing on the Olympiad team though she may be in the mix because of her rating.

I think Anna would want to be playing as it would be a women's zonal and she is very interested in playing on the Olympiad team though she may be in the mix because of her rating.
    Are we seriously contemplating a Women Zonal before the end of the year?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Are we seriously contemplating a Women Zonal before the end of the year?
    Before the end of the year would be too soon. I was talking about Aris's Zonal/Canadian Closed at Easter 2021. We could potentially do something online but I would guess once again we would be looking around Easter.

Before the end of the year would be too soon. I was talking about Aris's Zonal/Canadian Closed at Easter 2021. We could potentially do something online but I would guess once again we would be looking around Easter.
    It's nice, provided that FIDE does not demand the name of the Canadian player before that. The World Cup date was April 2021 Belarus, but this will likely not happen because of the political situation in this country. Easter is Sunday April 4th 2021, which could be too close to the World Cup. We need the FIDE deadline as soon as possible in order to plan accordingly. Even an online tournament requires proper organization. If all the players are from a few locations, an hybrid tournament could be organized.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 12-16-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The date World Cup date was April 2021 Belarus, but this will likely not happen because of the political situation in this country.
    The 2021 World Cup and Women's World Cup are scheduled to be held in Russia in summer 2021.

The 2021 World Cup and Women's World Cup are scheduled to be held in Russia in summer 2021.
    Thank you Vadim. And of course, please keep us posted. We might have to consider some kind of heavily Arbiter-ed hybrid model to select our representatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Thank you Vadim. And of course, please keep us posted. We might have to consider some kind of heavily Arbiter-ed hybrid model to select our representatives.
    Gladly repeating my comment from another thread.

I wholeheartedly support this idea for the upcoming Zonal.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations received a preliminary approval from the Council. Then the General Assembly adopted an amendment that gives the Council the authority to "approve [...] make periodic changes, amendments and additions". Thus, the first version of the FIDE Online Chess Regulations, which is a result of a huge effort by the cross-Commission Task Force, will be come into effect soon. Part IIIb is called "Regulations for Hybrid Chess Competitions". A tournament that abides by its requirements would be allowed to serve as an official FIDE qualification event.

Some zones have already requested a permission to hold their 2021 in a hybrid format. After a fruitful discussion that we all are having here at the meeting, it would be your call as an organizer to decide on the format. FIDE would support a hybrid choice, provided all guidelines are followed.

Gladly repeating my comment from another thread.

I wholeheartedly support this idea for the upcoming Zonal.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations received a preliminary approval from the Council. Then the General Assembly adopted an amendment that gives the Council the authority to "approve [...] make periodic changes, amendments and additions". Thus, the first version of the FIDE Online Chess Regulations, which is a result of a huge effort by the cross-Commission Task Force, will be come into effect soon. Part IIIb is called "Regulations for Hybrid Chess Competitions". A tournament that abides by its requirements would be allowed to serve as an official FIDE qualification event.

Some zones have already requested a permission to hold their 2021 in a hybrid format. After a fruitful discussion that we all are having here at the meeting, it would be your call as an organizer to decide on the format. FIDE would support a hybrid choice, provided all guidelines are followed.
    Yes, also cross-posting my reply (and this seems like the more appropriate thread):

Thanks, let's keep talking.

I've already taken the "liberty" of contacting three online platforms, explaining the situation, asking what they can offer us, subject to meeting FIDE regulations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast