Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.1 - Discussion Items - COVID and Chess

Default 5.1 - Discussion Items - COVID and Chess

All across the country the pandemic has heavily affected tournament chess. This thread is reserved for coverage of how chess activities have taken place and sharing info on what has worked in your area

Blog Entries

I would also like this discussion to focus on the path forward for the next year or two which until vaccines become widely available will largely be focused on online chess.

We will have to wait and see how the future unfolds to see how this issue will be determined . I suggest discussion be deferred to the annual meeting in JULY/AUGUST.
    Les Bunning

Perhaps - but I'm also involved in other organizations who obviously have also been impacted by this and the two main themes I'm hearing are "service to members" and "membership retention". Perceived value in what we do is crucial and with so much online these days like the pay and free servers, The Week in Chess and other online journals and of course Youtube (where I see the Botez sisters have been extremely active - amongst others) it's important we do a good job at meeting members needs.

Now to be sure we represent a specific "brand" of chess - the over the board competition and that will be problematic for some time yet. I don't pretend to have all the answers but for sure "perceived value of membership" is crucial for us in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I would also like this discussion to focus on the path forward for the next year or two which until vaccines become widely available will largely be focused on online chess.
    I posted the idea of the CFC creating its own chess playing platform in one of the other topics. I realize there's likely a hefty cost in setting it up but again, in business, the best widget wins. Obviously, Chess.com and LiChess have huge memberships and are making money. It may well be a course that the CFC may want to consider in combination with over-the-board chess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Perhaps - but I'm also involved in other organizations who obviously have also been impacted by this and the two main themes I'm hearing are "service to members" and "membership retention". Perceived value in what we do is crucial and with so much online these days like the pay and free servers, The Week in Chess and other online journals and of course Youtube (where I see the Botez sisters have been extremely active - amongst others) it's important we do a good job at meeting members needs.

Now to be sure we represent a specific "brand" of chess - the over the board competition and that will be problematic for some time yet. I don't pretend to have all the answers but for sure "perceived value of membership" is crucial for us in 2021.
    Actually we represent chess. We also represent the only path to international competition through FIDE. We have to extend our reach into online chess but there are problems with cheating and the platforms charges of cheating which may at times be spurious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I posted the idea of the CFC creating its own chess playing platform in one of the other topics. I realize there's likely a hefty cost in setting it up but again, in business, the best widget wins. Obviously, Chess.com and LiChess have huge memberships and are making money. It may well be a course that the CFC may want to consider in combination with over-the-board chess.
    I couldn't even get someone to act as an administrator for an established server. We could set up a very limited server but you would not get enough of a critical mass to make it viable. The best widget does not always win and in fact, usually loses. The widget with the best marketing team usually wins. Betamax was better than VHS. VHS won because of market share only to be overrun by DVD's which in turn were wiped out by online services like Netflix.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Chess.com / Lichess.org make very little money off of people who just want to come and play chess. Money is made from teaching and viewing GM play.

Does the CFC has the ability to use tornelo free of charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Does the CFC has the ability to use tornelo free of charge?
    If the CFC is interested in Tornelo, I can connect, get info, etc. Lemme know what we're looking for.

And/or identify a CFC prime to continue such a conversation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast