Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive and Officer reports

Blog Entries

Thank you Christina for that report.

It should be noted that Canada qualified six players out of the total 30 spots available for all of the Americas. It was a very good result. Mailli Jade was a seventh wild card who made it to the world championship stage by rating, I believe. Mailli lost to Svitlana in the last round of the qualification when they were both leading the tournament along with one other young woman and the two Canadians were paired.

Svitlana Demchenko did not have anyone to play with in the U18 girls in the Nationals so technically she did not advance from the National but by decision of the CFC. Mailli-Jade Ouellet had already qualified by rating for the first stage. She decided to help as an arbiter-volunteer rather than play and act as a spoiler for some other person's qualification to the Americas qualification stage of the World Championship event.

We have many young promising players who are good enough to earn spots into a FIDE world championship event. Winning six out of thirty available spots is an impressive result.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    All World Calendar events for 2021 are scheduled as over-the-board, with the earliest one to start in March. Obviously, if time comes to send invitations / to open registrations but the epidemiological situation and/or national regulations in host countries remain not conducive to mass sports events, the organizers would ask FIDE for changes.
    At this point, my intuitive reaction is that it would be "easier" if the pandemic has subsided to the point of enabling return to over-the-board. However, the sheer math so far seems challenging. For example, even if the Organizer's part of the world is doing well, they would understandably have special conditions for teams coming from parts of the world who are still struggling. As I alluded to in another post in this forum, I suggest we should keep considering alternatives like hybrid.

Is hybrid ideal? No, and it'll take lotsa insights and work. However, we can't risk denying our best chess people their opportunities. Let's all keep thinking/talking.

Thanks again Vadim for your inside information scoops, they're much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    As I alluded to in another post in this forum, I suggest we should keep considering alternatives like hybrid..
    I wholeheartedly support this idea for the upcoming Zonal.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations received a preliminary approval from the Council. Then the General Assembly adopted an amendment that gives the Council the authority to "approve [...] make periodic changes, amendments and additions". Thus, the first version of the FIDE Online Chess Regulations, which is a result of a huge effort by the cross-Commission Task Force, will come into effect soon. Part IIIb is called "Regulations for Hybrid Chess Competitions". A tournament that abides by its requirements would be allowed to serve as an official FIDE qualification event.

Some zones have already requested a permission to hold their 2021 in a hybrid format. After a fruitful discussion that we all are having here at the meeting. it would be your call as an organizer to decide on the format. FIDE would support a hybrid choice, provided all guidelines are followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    I wholeheartedly support this idea for the upcoming Zonal.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations received a preliminary approval from the Council. Then the General Assembly adopted an amendment that gives the Council the authority to "approve [...] make periodic changes, amendments and additions". Thus, the first version of the FIDE Online Chess Regulations, which is a result of a huge effort by the cross-Commission Task Force, will come into effect soon. Part IIIb is called "Regulations for Hybrid Chess Competitions". A tournament that abides by its requirements would be allowed to serve as an official FIDE qualification event.

Some zones have already requested a permission to hold their 2021 in a hybrid format. After a fruitful discussion that we all are having here at the meeting. it would be your call as an organizer to decide on the format. FIDE would support a hybrid choice, provided all guidelines are followed.
    Thanks, let's keep talking.

I've already taken the "liberty" of contacting three online platforms, explaining the situation, asking what they can offer us, subject to meeting FIDE regulations.

How should we handle the 2021 Kalev Pugi Fund usually determine winners in July. The objective of the fund is to help to cover a portion of traveling expenses for junior players. One of the eligibility criteria is "The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition" and the competition has to happened between July1 2020 to June 30 2021. I am expecting very few or no juniors would have traveled to a OTB tournament in that period of time. If that is the case, should we:
    1) Skip the 2021 Kalev Pugi award,
    2) Carry forward the award to 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    How should we handle the 2021 Kalev Pugi Fund usually determine winners in July. The objective of the fund is to help to cover a portion of traveling expenses for junior players. One of the eligibility criteria is "The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition" and the competition has to happened between July1 2020 to June 30 2021. I am expecting very few or no juniors would have traveled to a OTB tournament in that period of time. If that is the case, should we:
    1) Skip the 2021 Kalev Pugi award,
    2) Carry forward the award to 2022.
    Michael, I don't know for sure yet, but if we do hold some kind of hybrid format to determine Canadian representatives, I would expect there would be certain costs associated with Online Arbiters (probably more than regular Arbiters at a regular over-the-board event). I leave it up to the Fund to determine whether, on an exceptional basis, the consideration of "travelling expenses" be extended to include any extra "Fair Play" costs that might be necessitated by a hybrid format.

This is just an idea, I'm not even sure how I would vote. The Fund can decide.

Michael, I don't know for sure yet, but if we do hold some kind of hybrid format to determine Canadian representatives, I would expect there would be certain costs associated with Online Arbiters (probably more than regular Arbiters at a regular over-the-board event).
    The current and soon to be approved Laws of Hybrid Chess require at lest two arbiters per site: a Local Chief Arbiter and a Local Technical Arbiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The current and soon to be approved Laws of Hybrid Chess require at lest two arbiters per site: a Local Chief Arbiter and a Local Technical Arbiter.
    Aris & Pierre, if we relax the eligibility to cover attending cost for either Hybrid or online tournaments, I worry that the Pugi Fund committee will be overloaded with an overwhelming number of applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Aris & Pierre, if we relax the eligibility to cover attending cost for either Hybrid or online tournaments, I worry that the Pugi Fund committee will be overloaded with an overwhelming number of applications.
    I'm not sure I understand. At this point, I'm thinking the top 10 players in the country, battling it out old-school full-time-control round-robin for the World Cup spot. I don't know how many of them would/could apply, and regardless, the Fund can choose how many (how few) to award?! (I'm not referring to much larger youth events)

I'm not sure I understand. At this point, I'm thinking the top 10 players in the country, battling it out old-school full-time-control round-robin for the World Cup spot. I don't know how many of them would/could apply, and regardless, the Fund can choose how many (how few) to award?! (I'm not referring to much larger youth events)
    The 2020 eligibility criteria are:

- Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
    - Candidates shall not receive a bursary two years in a row.
    - Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st.
    - The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition.
    - The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st 2019 and June 30 2020).
    - Candidates must have played in at least 5 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.

Normally, we would grant 3-4 awards of $200-$300 each year. If we relax it to include hybrid/online events, probably we will have to totally re-write the eligibility criteria, and also the number of awards and the amount for each award since the cost to attend online events is substantially less than the traveling cost for OTB tournaments. In 2020, we granted 4 awards of $230 each, out of 19 applications.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast