Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive and Officer reports

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think developing our own process also comes with a cost. I am sure that we can work something out.
    Yes. Agreed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    The 2020 eligibility criteria are:

- Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
    - Candidates shall not receive a bursary two years in a row.
    - Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st.
    - The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition.
    - The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st 2019 and June 30 2020).
    - Candidates must have played in at least 5 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.

Normally, we would grant 3-4 awards of $200-$300 each year. If we relax it to include hybrid/online events, probably we will have to totally re-write the eligibility criteria, and also the number of awards and the amount for each award since the cost to attend online events is substantially less than the traveling cost for OTB tournaments. In 2020, we granted 4 awards of $230 each, out of 19 applications.
    Michael

I don't think it would be a good idea to modify the eligibility requirement, and instead simply be prepared to make no awards for 20/21.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Michael

I don't think it would be a good idea to modify the eligibility requirement, and instead simply be prepared to make no awards for 20/21.
    Okay, thanks.

Executive Directors Report

I trust everyone is anxiously awaiting the return of OTB chess. Prior to the pandemic lockdown, CFC memberships had been growing at a steady clip for several years. The vaccine is now beginning to be distributed, so I do believe the end is in sight. I predict clubs and tournaments will start to return in May 2021. No doubt a few clubs may not return or instead be reconstituted under new leadership. Some players may have found a new home in online chess, but I suspect that will be a small number. Once we are beyond COVID19, I anticipate continued growth.

During this lull, we have been preparing for the future. Our new (Go) membership management system has been launched. There are still some wrinkles in the system, but there has been a steady flow of new members and renewals since October. If you haven’t tried it yet, go ahead even if it isn’t time your renewal time yet. You can log into your account and update your personal information. If you can’t login, it is probably because we don’t have your email on file. Send us an email and we’ll fix that.

We have built a new website. Or I should say, thank you Don Parakin our new webmaster. Don came on board to help with the Go membership launch, and identified our critical need for a new website when our site was hacked again. Don has created a more stable functionally efficient site utilizing software tools developed in recent years. The core functions have been restored and the balance is time. We now have the last 5 issues of Chess Canada available for viewing.

We are now rating online chess hosted on third party servers. This has been a challenge to TD’s in tournament submissions but more importantly in dealing with online cheating. The issue is discussed more in other threads. I am looking forward to trying out the new platform, Tornelo. Also the question I am frequently asked, will CFC continue to rate online games after OTB chess returns? Why not, if the interest is there.

A note our TD’s, you should upgrade your Swiss Sys software to version 10 for 2021. It is available on our website for download. When you do, send me an email for an updated access code.

I look forward to seeing everyone in person hopefully soon in 2021 at the club!

Blog Entries

Default 4L Treasurer's Report

I just received this from our ExD today, and will make some comments after I have a chance to review it ........

FS2021Oct (2).pdf
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 12-18-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Modified file

Blog Entries

It looks like about $25k in losses for six months which is actually a little better than expected. Today the cash balance has gone up a bit from the beginning of the meeting when it was $55k and we are now at $57k in cash. Olympiads have been cancelled for 2021 so we are looking at 2022 before any major expenditures aside from normal salary. We are looking at a year before we run out of cash with no cash coming in but I think we will get some money from the foundation and I still think we should be able to get $10k to $20k from the government.

Olympiads have been cancelled for 2021 so we are looking at 2022.
    I have seen no evidence of that. WADA Sanctions concerns World Championships. Olympics and Paralympic games, not chess Olympiads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Chess_Olympiad , https://www.fide.com/news/229

Quote Originally Posted by CAS
    Where the right to host any such event in the Two-Year Period has already been awarded to the Russian Federation, the Signatory in question must withdraw that right and re-assign the event to another country, unless it is legally or practically impossible to do so.
    FIDE has already claimed that this exception applies and that the Olympiads can go on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I have seen no evidence of that. WADA Sanctions concerns World Championships. Olympics and Paralympic games, not chess Olympiads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Chess_Olympiad , https://www.fide.com/news/229

FIDE has already claimed that this exception applies and that the Olympiads can go on.
    I would trust what FIDE said at the general assembly more than what some wikipedia page says. The FIDE calendar shows no olympiad in 2021 aside from the olympiad for the disabled. My understanding is that Minsk Olympiad in 2022 has been cancelled and moved to Russia though that is not reflected in the FIDE calendar which still shows Belarus as the site.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-18-2020 at 10:33 PM.

I would trust what FIDE said at the general assembly more than what some wikipedia page says. The FIDE calendar shows no olympiad in 2021 aside from the disabled olympiad. My understanding is that Minsk Olympiad in 2022 has been cancelled and moved to Russia though that is not reflected in the FIDE calendar which still shows Belarus as the site.
    The decision to cancel has been omitted in the minutes https://www.fide.com/news/863 . This cancellation is good for us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The decision to cancel has been omitted in the minutes https://www.fide.com/news/863 . This cancellation is good for us.
    I guess it was actually the FIDE Online council meeting.

Q4OC-2020/12. To authorize the FIDE President to finalize contracts for the organization of the World Cups in Russia in 2021 and the Chess Olympiad in Russia in 2022.

I believe FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich mentioned it in the FIDE general assembly as well though I don't know exactly at what point in the six hour meeting as I watched it after the fact on youtube and was jumping around in the meeting.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast