Thread: Wiki re: Board game

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Wiki re: Board game

Fwiw, here's the wiki re: board game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_game
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

There used to be a lot of board games in our home. When I moved to an apartment, I had to get rid of many things due to having less space. The board games that I still have include Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble, Go, Shogi, Othello (aka Reversi) and (of course) chess.

Besides many books on chess, I also have a Scrabble dictionary, a text on how to play Monopoly well, reading material on Othello, a book on Go, a book on Shogi, and a book on Chinese Chess (by cutting up a couple of the pages, I would be able to have a board and pieces). In addition, I play Checkers with friends, sometimes, by using a chess set, pretending the pieces are checkers.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Blog Entries

A few anecdotes about board games:

My father once advised that to win at Monopoly, the aim was not to get rich, but to keep everyone else poor.
    An Ottawa CFC Governor friend once told me that in playing the game of Risk, one learns whom one's friends are.
    I once talked with (now retired) Toronto chess FM Robert Morrison about the game of Diplomacy - while I liked France, we both felt Great Britain was the best nation to play with (I think this is the consensus).
    A friend I had in Brampton long ago once told me half-jokingly that he much preferred chess to Bridge because he only wanted to engage in selfish endeavours.
    Last I read, 8x8 (orthodox) Othello was on the way to being weakly solved - of the three basic opening moves for White at move one, two are suspected to draw (one more comfortably), while one should lose; in 6x6 or 4x4, White is known to win.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 10-26-2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Adding content