Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIDE Code of Ethics

Blog Entries

Default FIDE Code of Ethics

A. Administrative Subjects / 08. FIDE Code of Ethics /
    08. FIDE Code of Ethics

Approved by the 1989 General Assembly. Amended by 1996 Presidential Board as directed by 1996 General Assembly.

Introduction

The game and concept of chess is based on the assumption that everyone involved / concerned observe existing rules and regulations and attaches the greatest importance to fair play and good sportsmanship.

It is impossible to define exactly and in all circumstances the standard of conduct expected from all parties involved in FIDE tournaments and events, or to list all sets which would amount to a breach of the Code of Ethics and lead to disciplinary sanctions. In most cases common sense will tell the participants the standards of behavior that are required. If any participants in a FIDE event has any doubt as to the conduct which is expected of him or her, the FIDE officials present should be contacted or the local organizer who has been put in charge of the event.

Disputes arising during a game or tournament shall be resolved in accordance with the rules of play in existence at the time and with the tournament regulations.

This Code of Ethics is applicable to:

FIDE office bearers,
    member federations, delegates and counselors,
    affiliated organizations
    organizers, sponsors
    all competitors in FIDE registered tournaments.
    This Code of Ethics shall govern what action may be taken against any person (meaning either an individual or organization) who deliberately or through gross negligence violate the rules and regulations of the game or neglect to observe the precepts of fair play.

Breach of Ethics

The Code of Ethics shall be breached by a person or organization who directly or indirectly

offers, or attempts to offer or accepts any consideration or bribe with a view of influencing the result in a game of chess or election into FIDE office.

in other respects acts contrary to this Code.

Of particular importance in this respect are the following:

Fraudulence in the administration of any FIDE office or national federation office that affects other federations.

Office bearers who through their behavior no longer inspire the necessary confidence or have in other ways become unworthy of trust.

Organizers, tournament directors, arbiters or other officials who fail to perform their functions in an impartial and responsible manner.

Failure to comply with normally accepted standards of courtesy and chess etiquette. Misbehavior of a personal nature which is generally unacceptable by normal social standards.

Cheating or attempts at cheating during games and tournaments. Violent, threatening or other unseemly behavior during or in connection with a chess event.

Players withdrawing from a tournament without valid reason or without informing the tournament arbiter.

Gross or repeated violations of FIDE Laws of Chess or other approved tournament regulations.

In any top level tournament, players, delegations or teams must comply with a high standard dress code. Delegations includes both a player`s seconds and any other individual who the player allows to conduct business on behalf of the players. Players are responsible for the actions of acknowledged members of their delegations.

Players or members of their delegations must not make unjustified accusations toward other players, officials or sponsors. All protests must be referred directly to the arbiter or the Technical Director of the tournament.

In addition, disciplinary action in accordance with this Code of Ethics will be taken in cases of occurrences which cause the game of chess, FIDE or its federations to appear in an unjustifiable unfavorable light and in this way damage its reputation.

Any conduct likely to injure or discredit the reputation of FIDE, its events, organizers, participants, sponsors or that will enhance the goodwill which attaches to the same.

Sanctions

Breaches of the FIDE Code of Ethics shall be sanctioned whether acts of commission or omission, whether they have been committed deliberately or negligently, whether the breach constitutes an act or attempted act, and whether the parties acted as principle, participant, accomplice or instigator, aiding or abetting.

Breaches of the FIDE Code of Ethics are punishable by one or more of the following sanctions:

warning;
    reprimand;
    return of awards; fine, up to 25.000,00 US dollars
    revocations of titles and sports results
    social work;
    ban up to 15 years on taking part in a chess competition, or in any chess-related activity, as a player, arbiter, organiser, or representative of a chess federation;
    temporarily exclusion from membership or office.
    If a sanction is imposed, the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission may examine whether there are grounds to totally or partially suspend the enforcement of the sanction, if the relevant circumstances allow it, in particular the previous record of the person sanctioned. By suspending enforcement of the sanction, the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission may subject the person sanctioned to a probationary period of anything from six months up to two years. If the person benefiting from a suspended sanction commits another breach during the probationary period, the suspension shall automatically be revoked and the original sanction completely applied and added to the sanction imposed for the new breach.

The sanction may be imposed by taking into account all relevant factors in the case, including the offender’s age, assistance and cooperation, the motive, the circumstances and the degree of the offender’s guilt.

The Ethics and Disciplinary Commission shall decide the scope and duration of any sanction.

Sanctions may be limited to a geographical area or to one or more specific categories of competitions or events (starting date).

3.7 Unless otherwise specified, the sanction may be increased as deemed appropriate if a breach has been repeated.
    3.8 Where more than one breach has been committed, the sanction shall be based on the most serious breach, and increased as appropriate depending on the specific circumstances. In these cases, when determining the amount of a fine, the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission is not obliged to adhere to the general upper limit of the fine.
    3.9 At the request of the Investigatory chamber -when nominated-, the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission may (immediately) take provisional measures (e.g. provisional sanctions) if a breach of the Code of Ethics appears to have been committed and a decision on the main issue may not be taken early enough. The Ethics and Disciplinary Commission may also issue provisional measures for preventing interference with the establishment of the truth. Provisional measures may be valid for a maximum of 75 days. In exceptional circumstances, the provisional measures may be extended by the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission for an additional period not to exceed 45 days. The duration of provisional sanctions shall be taken into account in the final decision.
    Administrative Procedures

Breach of the regulations of this code by any Federation or FIDE official shall be reported to the FIDE Secretariat.

Breach of the regulations of this code by any person shall be reported to and decided by the FIDE Ethics and Disciplinary Commission.

The proceedings shall be recorded in writing. Grounds must be given for any decisions taken and these must also be in writing.

Appeals against decision taken by any FIDE official can be submitted to the FIDE Ethics and Disciplinary Commission. The appeal must be sent by registered mail together with a deposit of Two Hundred Fifty U.S. Dollars (US$250). The deposit will be returned should the appeal to all intents and purposes prove to be justified.

Any decisions made by the Ethics and Disciplinary Commission may be the object of appeal arbitration proceedings in accordance with the Code of sports-related arbitration of the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The time limit for appeal is twenty-one days following the communication of the decision concerning appeal. All recourse to ordinary courts is excluded.

Blog Entries

ETHICS COMMISSION _- PROCEDURAL RULES
    1. Register of cases
    All complaints and reports concerning violations of the FIDE Code of Ethics shall be addressed to
    the FIDE Ethics Commission (hereafter called the “EC”) through the FIDE Secretariat. The FIDE
    Secretariat will transmit copy of them to the Chairman of the EC.
    A Register of the cases of the EC is set up at the office of the FIDE Secretariat.
    The Chairman of the EC will communicate to the FIDE Secretariat the name and the progressive
    number assigned to each case.
    2. Language
    The working language of the EC is English.
    The EC shall, at the request of any party, authorize a language other than English to be used by the
    parties involved. In that occurrence, the EC may order any or all of the parties to bear all or part of
    the translation and interpreting costs.
    The EC may order that all documents submitted in languages other than English shall be filed
    together with a certified translation in the language of the procedure.
    3. Notifications and Communications
    All notifications and communications that the EC intend for the parties shall be made through the
    FIDE Secretariat.
    All communications that the parties intend for the EC shall be made through the FIDE Secretariat.
    4. Representation and Assistance
    The parties may be represented or assisted by persons of their choice. The names, addresses,
    telephone and facsimile numbers, e-mails addresses of the persons representing the parties shall be
    communicated to the FIDE Secretariat.
    5. Intervention
    If a FIDE Federation, a FIDE Organ or any other person has an interest in a case submitted to the
    competence of EC, it may submit to the EC memorials and documents.
    6. Rights of the Parties
    Each person charged with a violation of the FIDE Code of Ethics has the right to be informed in
    writing (whether by letter, e-mail or otherwise) of the pending case before the final decision of the
    EC and has the right to present to the EC memorials and documents in support of his/her/their
    position.
    Each party has the right, within the limits provided by art. 8, to ask to appear in front of the EC in
    an oral hearing.
    7. Submissions of Documents and Written Procedure
    The Chairman of the EC will fix a term, normally at least twenty days, for the submission of
    memorials and documents, failing which no further documents will be accepted by the EC. This
    term may be prolonged, if requested. Expired this term, the EC may decide upon the case.
    Documents may be submitted even by e-mail.
    The EC may acquire documents and statements, i.e. from FIDE organs, FIDE Federations, arbiters,
    players, organisers, tournament directors.
    8. Hearing
    The procedure before the EC comprises an oral hearing only if the EC deems it appropriate and
    necessary.
    Each party is responsible for all the costs directly or indirectly associated with their presence.
    If a party asks for a hearing and the EC deems it not necessary, the party insisting on having the
    hearing will be required to pay a fee as a contribution for FIDE expenses and for the expenses of the
    other parties, in the event he loses the case. An appropriate amount of money to cover these
    expenses must be posted with FIDE Secretariat prior to the hearing.
    The Chairman of the EC shall issue directions relating to the hearing and, in particular, he shall set
    the hearing date.
    The hearing shall be public, unless the EC decides otherwise.
    The Chairman of the EC shall conduct the hearing and ensure that the statements made are concise
    and limited to the subject of the case.
    The EC may exceptionally authorize the hearing of witnesses and experts, even via tele- or videoconference.
    Minutes shall be made at each hearing.
    9. Judgement
    The deliberations of the EC shall be taken in private and remain secret.
    All questions shall be decided by the majority of the members present.
    The quorum for the judgment shall be of at least three members.
    In the event of an equality of votes, the Chairman of the EC shall have the right to cast the decisive
    vote.
    The judgment shall state in a written form the reasons on which it is based. It shall contain the
    names of the members of the EC who have taken part in the decision.
    If the judgment does not represent in whole or in part the unanimous opinion of the members of the
    EC who heard the matter, any dissenting member shall be entitled to deliver a separate opinion.
    A written copy of the judgment of the EC shall be delivered to each party (by letter, e-mail or
    otherwise) no later than twenty days after the judgement.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

I'm not clear on whether e.g. a Canadian class player who has a low FIDE rating can now be fined up to $25,000 by FIDE for some ethics infraction that said player makes in a typical lowly Canadian weekend swiss event that also happens to have at least their section FIDE rated. Also, who agreed to allow FIDE to fine them when they first got a FIDE membership, if before this new code of ethics?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Thanks for posting this Vlad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    I'm not clear on whether e.g. a Canadian class player who has a low FIDE rating can now be fined up to $25,000 by FIDE for some ethics infraction that said player makes in a typical lowly Canadian weekend swiss event that also happens to have at least their section FIDE rated. Also, who agreed to allow FIDE to fine them when they first got a FIDE membership, if before this new code of ethics?
    It is unlikely that an individual player would be fined except for cheating or something like assaulting an opponent or unsportsmanlike conduct. Thinking back near the beginning of my chess career, as team captain at an Ontario High School Championship at New College in Toronto in 1976 or possibly 1975 one of my teammate's opponent threatened to beat him up if he won a game that he was clearly winning. The losing player was bigger than our teammate but not bigger than me. I informed him that he would not be fighting with our teammate alone but with all of us and that the outcome would not be what he thought it would be. When the game ended the opponent quickly exited the hall. I can't remember exactly what I said but it must have made an impression.

I suspect that threatening an opponent might fall under the guidelines.

FIDE would not have the ability to enforce a fine but the player would not be able to play in a FIDE rated event until the fine was paid. I suspect that any behaviour that might draw a FIDE fine would also draw a sanction from the CFC as well.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 09-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It is unlikely that an individual player would be fined except for cheating or something like assaulting an opponent or unsportsmanlike conduct. Thinking back near the beginning of my chess career, as team captain at an Ontario High School Championship at New College in Toronto in 1976 or possibly 1975 one of my teammate's opponent threatened to beat him up if he won a game that he was clearly winning. The losing player was bigger than our teammate but not bigger than me. I informed him that he would not be fighting with our teammate alone but with all of us and that the outcome would not be what he thought it would be. When the game ended the opponent quickly exited the hall. I can't remember exactly what I said but it must have made an impression.

I suspect that threatening an opponent might fall under the guidelines.

FIDE would not have the ability to enforce a fine but the player would not be able to play in a FIDE rated event until the fine was paid. I suspect that any behaviour that might draw a FIDE fine would also draw a sanction from the CFC as well.
    Chess bullying, gotta love it!

I remember decades ago, the first time I played Hal in a tournament (hadn't met him yet), I thought, geez this guy has way bigger arms than the rest of us lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Chess bullying, gotta love it!

I remember decades ago, the first time I played Hal in a tournament (hadn't met him yet), I thought, geez this guy has way bigger arms than the rest of us lol
    When I think back on it there were two of them doing the threatening, possibly the team captain. Three of the four players on our team including the bullied guy were in the army reserve summer program and a couple were in a fairly effective karate program. I remember being very pissed off and following the threatening individuals but they took off very quickly such that when I got outside they couldn't be seen anywhere even though I was only a few seconds behind them. I finished second in that tournament.

Most Canadians are NOT subject to this Code of Ethic because they only play in CFC and FQE rated competition. The sole cheater that the FQÉ has caught did not cheat in any FIDE rated competition and couldn't be punished under this code.

Furthermore, minor cheating case are usually referred by FIDE to the CFC for punishment. This is the new fair play rules. "All cheating incidents occurring in tournaments that require maximum and increased levels of protection (as defined in the Anti-Cheating Protection Measures) must be reported to ACC. However, ACC may decide to refer a cheating incident occurred in such tournaments to a National Federation (NF)." http://fpc.fide.com/wp-content/uploa...tions-2018.pdf

We must have our own Ethic Commission to deal with Ethic cases before FIDE sends us a case.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

What I'm a bit concerned with is, say, in a lowly 5-round weekend swiss event, a Canadian class player (who happens to be playing in a FIDE-rated section) decides to withdraw from the event. If I am reading the new FIDE ethics code right, this could be deemed an ethics violation by FIDE. However, I'd think that properly such a withdrawal case should not appear for consideration before the CFC (let alone FIDE), and said Canadian class player should certainly not get e.g. an email from the CFC (or FIDE) about the withdrawal from a minor swiss. Trickier might be a withdrawal from a round-robin event where that could affect prizes and standings, e.g. in the Toronto Closed, but at least that could be seen as a round-robin of some significance, and not, say, a local club round-robin that happens to be FIDE-rated.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    What I'm a bit concerned with is, say, in a lowly 5-round weekend swiss event, a Canadian class player (who happens to be playing in a FIDE-rated section) decides to withdraw from the event. If I am reading the new FIDE ethics code right, this could be deemed an ethics violation by FIDE. However, I'd think that properly such a withdrawal case should not appear for consideration before the CFC (let alone FIDE), and said Canadian class player should certainly not get e.g. an email from the CFC (or FIDE) about the withdrawal from a minor swiss. Trickier might be a withdrawal from a round-robin event where that could affect prizes and standings, e.g. in the Toronto Closed, but at least that could be seen as a round-robin of some significance, and not, say, a local club round-robin that happens to be FIDE-rated.
    I find that Organizers are generally reasonable people. Like if a player decides to start driving home early from a weekend Swiss, and so he withdraws before pairings are published for the last round, I think that's totally fine. If I'm missing something here, please reply. Genuine ethics violations hit people in the face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast